* Stepping up as maintainer for ia64
@ 2024-03-07 17:52 René Rebe
From: René Rebe @ 2024-03-07 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Richard Biener, Frank Scheiner

Hey there,

I saw the deprecation of ia64*-*-* scrolling by [1].

Which surprised me, as (minor bugs aside) gcc ia64*-*-linux just works for us and
we still actively support it as part of our T2 System Development Environment [2].

For ia64 we are currently a team of three and also keep maintaining linux-kernel and
glibc git trees with ia64 restored and hope to bring back ia64 to linux upstream the
coming months as promised. [3]

Despite popular believe ia64 actually just works for all those projects and we already
fixed the few minor bugs we could find or reproduce.

Last week I also already patched and tested enabling LRA for ia64 in gcc [4] and could
-without any regression- compile a full ia64 T2/Linux release ISO that boots and runs
including an X desktop and Gtk applications. That was of course even with the latest
linux kernel and glibc versions with ia64 support restored respectively.

Given there are currently no other volunteers, I therefore with this email step up and
offer to become ia64 maintainer for GCC to keep the code compiling, tested and
un-deprecated for the next years and releases to come.

Thank you so much,
	René Rebe

[1] https://inbox.sourceware.org/gcc-bugs/bug-90785-4-X7KYh6SLIg@http.gcc.gnu.org%2Fbugzilla%2F/T/
[2] https://t2sde.org/#news-2023-12-05
[3] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-ia64/CAHk-=whFLZ67ffzt1juryCYcYz6eL_XjQF8WucDzwUR5H65+rA@mail.gmail.com/
[4] https://svn.exactcode.de/t2/trunk/package/develop/gcc/ia64-lra-impl.patch

--
ExactCODE GmbH, Lietzenburger Str. 42, DE-10789 Berlin
https://exactcode.com | https://t2sde.org