public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Syncing the toplevel with the GCC tree
@ 2023-07-26 13:47 Arsen Arsenović
From: Arsen Arsenović @ 2023-07-26 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils, Gdb; +Cc: Nick Clifton

Hi there!

I'm currently in the process of replacing the out-of-date in-tree intl
with an out-of-tree gettext.  This requires modification to both the
binutils-gdb and gcc repositories, and I've noticed that some changes in
the latter haven't propagated to binutils-gdb yet.

How does the process of syncing these trees up work?

I intend on synchronizing the toplevels and emailing in patches that
allow using modern gettext to all the relevant maintainers after some
further testing.

It would also be good to synchronize ahead of the 2.41 release of
Binutils.

Thanks in advance, have a lovely day.
--
Arsen Arsenović

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Syncing the toplevel with the GCC tree
@ 2023-07-28  8:19 ` Alan Modra
From: Alan Modra @ 2023-07-28  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arsen Arsenović; +Cc: binutils, Gdb, Nick Clifton

On Wed, Jul 26, 2023 at 03:47:55PM +0200, Arsen Arsenović via Binutils wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I'm currently in the process of replacing the out-of-date in-tree intl
> with an out-of-tree gettext.  This requires modification to both the
> binutils-gdb and gcc repositories, and I've noticed that some changes in
> the latter haven't propagated to binutils-gdb yet.
>
> How does the process of syncing these trees up work?

It's painful and not something I'm going to do again.  Last time I did
so I managed to break binutils-gdb.

The process goes like this:
1) Some ports have been removed from gcc but not binutils-gdb, so
firstly revert those patches to the top-level on the gcc side.

2) Copy over the gcc configury and makefiles.

3) Reapply binutils patches that haven't been applied to gcc, either
because the people making the patches didn't care enough to submit
them to gcc, or because the gcc maintainers didn't care enough to ack
those patches.

This was the list I used last time.  Very likely it needs updating.

Revert gcc
dc832fb39fc0 2022-08-25
fc259b522c0f 2022-06-25

Reapply binutils
69961a84c9b3 2018-12-12
50ad1254d503 2021-01-09
bb368aad297f 2022-03-11
de83289ef32e 2022-04-08
e5f2f7d901ee 2022-07-26
2cac01e3ffff 2022-09-26

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM

* Re: Syncing the toplevel with the GCC tree
@ 2023-07-28 14:12   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2023-07-28 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Modra via Gdb
  Cc: Arsen Arsenović, Alan Modra, binutils, Nick Clifton

Alan> The process goes like this:
Alan> 1) Some ports have been removed from gcc but not binutils-gdb, so
Alan> firstly revert those patches to the top-level on the gcc side.

Alan> 2) Copy over the gcc configury and makefiles.

FWIW, when I was doing some merges from GCC, what I generally did is
find the upstream patches, "git format-patch" them, then "git am" them
into the binutils-gdb tree, fixing up problems along the way.

Tom

* Re: Syncing the toplevel with the GCC tree
@ 2023-08-02 13:49     ` Arsen Arsenović
From: Arsen Arsenović @ 2023-08-02 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Alan Modra via Gdb, Alan Modra, binutils, Nick Clifton

Alan, Tom,

Tom Tromey <tom@tromey.com> writes:

> Alan> The process goes like this:
> Alan> 1) Some ports have been removed from gcc but not binutils-gdb, so
> Alan> firstly revert those patches to the top-level on the gcc side.
>
> Alan> 2) Copy over the gcc configury and makefiles.
>
> FWIW, when I was doing some merges from GCC, what I generally did is
> find the upstream patches, "git format-patch" them, then "git am" them
> into the binutils-gdb tree, fixing up problems along the way.

Thanks for the tips.  I've gone ahead and cherry picked (by adding my
gcc checkout as a remote in my binutils-gdb checkout and vice-versa)
most diverging patches from each repo.

This approach also retains authorship information (though, I will have
to comb over the resulting commits to add context and adjust commit
messages).

A few manual interventions remain, and I've yet to synchronize the
libtool forks and re-do testing.

I hope to finish that by the weekend.

The result should be identical trees, which will make it easier to post
and review patches for the gettext update and intl/ removal.

Have a lovely day.
--

@ 2023-08-02 21:03       ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2023-08-02 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arsen Arsenović
  Cc: Tom Tromey, Alan Modra via Gdb, Alan Modra, binutils, Nick Clifton

Arsen> Thanks for the tips.  I've gone ahead and cherry picked (by adding my
Arsen> gcc checkout as a remote in my binutils-gdb checkout and vice-versa)
Arsen> most diverging patches from each repo.

Arsen> This approach also retains authorship information (though, I will have
Arsen> to comb over the resulting commits to add context and adjust commit
Arsen> messages).

Arsen> A few manual interventions remain, and I've yet to synchronize the
Arsen> libtool forks and re-do testing.

Thank you for taking this on.

Tom