public inbox for libc-hacker@sourceware.org
* errno, h_errno and _res
@ 2002-11-14 10:01 Jakub Jelinek
From: Jakub Jelinek @ 2002-11-14 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glibc hackers

Hi!

One more thing about these.
Shouldn't we change those 3 even in non-TLS builds from errno@@GLIBC_2.0
to errno@GLIBC_2.0 etc., so that new programs accessing these directly
simply don't link anymore?

	Jakub

* Re: errno, h_errno and _res
@ 2002-11-14 10:22 ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 2002-11-14 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Jelinek; +Cc: Glibc hackers

* Re: errno, h_errno and _res
@ 2002-11-14 12:43 ` Roland McGrath
From: Roland McGrath @ 2002-11-14 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Jelinek; +Cc: Glibc hackers

Unless I missed something, I didn't see any rationale about your moving the
TLS symbols to GLIBC_PRIVATE.

> Shouldn't we change those 3 even in non-TLS builds from errno@@GLIBC_2.0
> to errno@GLIBC_2.0 etc., so that new programs accessing these directly
> simply don't link anymore?

I've done this.  But libpthread.so needs to refer to them, so I will have
to do some kind of funny business to make that work.

* Re: errno, h_errno and _res
@ 2002-11-14 12:51   ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 2002-11-14 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland McGrath; +Cc: Jakub Jelinek, Glibc hackers

* Re: errno, h_errno and _res
@ 2002-11-14 13:02     ` Roland McGrath
From: Roland McGrath @ 2002-11-14 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Drepper; +Cc: Jakub Jelinek, Glibc hackers

> Hasn't been discussed in mail.  Jakub and I had a chat on IRC yesterday.
>  Exposing STT_TLS symbols seems unnecessarily risky in the moment. I
> want to do some more studying of the effects before we do that.

Ok, seems sensible.  We already don't declare the __thread vars in any
installed header, so no program has any business using them.