* Cygwin infrastructure assistance, part 2
@ 2014-08-06  0:07 Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2014-08-06  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Thank you Ian and FChE for your help with file permissions and mysql
access.  So far, I have been able to add a mirror, add a new package
maintainer, receive the check-mirrors report, and gpg sign files from
the cygwin-admin login.

The next thing we need help with is mailing list management:

* receiving cygwin*-owner@ messages,

* viewing the subscriber list,

* (un)subscribing others,

* blocking email addresses from subscribing and/or posting,

* anything else?

Yaakov Selkowitz
Associate Software Engineer, ARM
Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Cygwin infrastructure assistance, part 2
@ 2014-08-06  3:48 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2014-08-06  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaakov Selkowitz; +Cc: overseers

Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowi@redhat.com> writes:

> The next thing we need help with is mailing list management:
>
> * receiving cygwin*-owner@ messages,

These seem to go to either postmaster@cygwin.com or
postmaster@sourceware.org, which I think wind up in the same place.  For
any given list, look at ~alias/.qmail-LISTNAME-owner to see where the
messages go.  Right now I think that all e-mail to postmaster goes just
to cgf.  It's a mailing list: /qmail/lists-system/postmaster.  I guess
somebody else should get on that list, though I imagine it gets a lot of
spam.

In general I would not expect the -owner address to get many interesting
messages.

> * viewing the subscriber list,

ezmlm-list /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin

Replace "cygwin" with the mailing list you are interested in.

ezmlm-unsub /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin joe@foo.com

> * blocking email addresses from subscribing and/or posting,

ezmlm-sub /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin/deny joe@foo.com

Ian

* Re: Cygwin infrastructure assistance, part 2
@ 2014-08-06  5:04   ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2014-08-06  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On 2014-08-05 22:48, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Yaakov Selkowitz writes:
>> The next thing we need help with is mailing list management:
>>
>> * receiving cygwin*-owner@ messages,
>
> These seem to go to either postmaster AT cygwin.com or
> postmaster AT sourceware.org, which I think wind up in the same place.  For
> any given list, look at ~alias/.qmail-LISTNAME-owner to see where the
> messages go.  Right now I think that all e-mail to postmaster goes just
> to cgf.  It's a mailing list: /qmail/lists-system/postmaster.  I guess
> somebody else should get on that list, though I imagine it gets a lot of
> spam.

$ ezmlm-list /qmail/lists-system/postmaster
me AT cgf.cx

I have attempted to subscribe to postmaster, but after acking my
subscription request I am still not subscribed.  Would my subscription
request be stuck in a moderator queue?

> In general I would not expect the -owner address to get many interesting
> messages.

Probably true, but occasionally human intervention is required, and it
doesn't help us much if cgf is the only person getting them (and who
knows for how much longer at that).

> ezmlm-list /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin
>
> Replace "cygwin" with the mailing list you are interested in.

This works for me, but these do not:

> ezmlm-unsub /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin joe@foo.com
> ezmlm-sub /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin/deny joe@foo.com

ezmlm-unsub: fatal: unable to open
/qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin-announce/lock: access denied

The lock files are mostly 0644 alias:qmail, except for
/qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin-developers/deny-subscribe/lock and
/qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin-talk/deny/lock which are 0400 root:root.
  Is there a way to make these accessible from the cygwin-admin login?

@ 2014-08-06 11:04   ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2014-08-06 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, yselkowi

Hi -

> > * receiving cygwin*-owner@ messages,
>
> These seem to go to either postmaster@cygwin.com or
> postmaster@sourceware.org [...]

If required, we could reassign *-owner to someone particular.
I wouldn't suggest having more readers at postmaster@.

> [...]
> > * viewing the subscriber list,
> ezmlm-list /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin
> [...]

Aren't the ezmlm-* commands for root/alias use only?  The more proper
email-list-administrator way is through the ezmlm command-suffix
email-addresses, e.g.  cygwin-list@sourceware.org

- FChE

* Re: Cygwin infrastructure assistance, part 2
@ 2014-08-06 14:16     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-08-06 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Wed, Aug 06, 2014 at 12:04:08AM -0500, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
>On 2014-08-05 22:48, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>> Yaakov Selkowitz writes:
>>> The next thing we need help with is mailing list management:
>>>
>>> * receiving cygwin*-owner@ messages,
>>
>> These seem to go to either postmaster AT cygwin.com or
>> postmaster AT sourceware.org, which I think wind up in the same place.  For
>> any given list, look at ~alias/.qmail-LISTNAME-owner to see where the
>> messages go.  Right now I think that all e-mail to postmaster goes just
>> to cgf.  It's a mailing list: /qmail/lists-system/postmaster.  I guess
>> somebody else should get on that list, though I imagine it gets a lot of
>> spam.
>
>$ ezmlm-list /qmail/lists-system/postmaster
>me AT cgf.cx
>
>I have attempted to subscribe to postmaster, but after acking my
>subscription request I am still not subscribed.  Would my subscription
>request be stuck in a moderator queue?

>> In general I would not expect the -owner address to get many interesting
>> messages.
>
>Probably true, but occasionally human intervention is required, and it
>doesn't help us much if cgf is the only person getting them (and who
>knows for how much longer at that).

I don't recall many cases of needing to be able to deal with a
cygwin-specific issue in postmaster mail.  There probably is a
disproportionate amount of people confused by the concept of not sending
html email but the canned response to that confusion is not
cygwin-specific.

>> ezmlm-list /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin
>>
>> Replace "cygwin" with the mailing list you are interested in.
>
>This works for me, but these do not:
>
>> ezmlm-unsub /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin joe@foo.com
>> ezmlm-sub /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin/deny joe@foo.com
>
>ezmlm-unsub: fatal: unable to open
>/qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin-announce/lock: access denied
>
>The lock files are mostly 0644 alias:qmail, except for
>/qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin-developers/deny-subscribe/lock and
>/qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin-talk/deny/lock which are 0400 root:root.
>  Is there a way to make these accessible from the cygwin-admin login?

The intent of ezmlm mailing list administration is that everything
should be able to be manipulated via email.  Corinna has been able to
subscribe and unsubscribe people from the cygwin mailing list for years.

http://untroubled.org/ezmlm/ezman/ezman2.html

* Re: Cygwin infrastructure assistance, part 2
@ 2014-08-06 21:50       ` Yaakov Selkowitz
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2014-08-06 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On 2014-08-06 09:16, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2014 at 12:04:08AM -0500, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:

>>> These seem to go to either postmaster AT cygwin.com or
>>> postmaster AT sourceware.org, which I think wind up in the same place.  For
>>> any given list, look at ~alias/.qmail-LISTNAME-owner to see where the
>>> messages go.  Right now I think that all e-mail to postmaster goes just
>>> to cgf.  It's a mailing list: /qmail/lists-system/postmaster.  I guess
>>> somebody else should get on that list, though I imagine it gets a lot of
>>> spam.
>>
>> $ ezmlm-list /qmail/lists-system/postmaster
>> me AT cgf.cx
>>
>> I have attempted to subscribe to postmaster, but after acking my
>> subscription request I am still not subscribed.  Would my subscription
>> request be stuck in a moderator queue?
>
>>> In general I would not expect the -owner address to get many interesting
>>> messages.
>>
>> Probably true, but occasionally human intervention is required, and it
>> doesn't help us much if cgf is the only person getting them (and who
>> knows for how much longer at that).
>
> I don't recall many cases of needing to be able to deal with a
> cygwin-specific issue in postmaster mail.  There probably is a
> disproportionate amount of people confused by the concept of not sending
> html email but the canned response to that confusion is not
> cygwin-specific.

Understood, but eventually there will need to be some human
intervention; as they say, "somebody has to do it" and I presume that
won't be you going forward.

>>> ezmlm-list /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin
>>>
>>> Replace "cygwin" with the mailing list you are interested in.
>>
>> This works for me, but these do not:
>>
>>> ezmlm-unsub /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin joe@foo.com
>>> ezmlm-sub /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin/deny joe@foo.com
>>
>> ezmlm-unsub: fatal: unable to open
>> /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin-announce/lock: access denied
>>
>> The lock files are mostly 0644 alias:qmail, except for
>> /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin-developers/deny-subscribe/lock and
>> /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin-talk/deny/lock which are 0400 root:root.
>>   Is there a way to make these accessible from the cygwin-admin login?
>
> The intent of ezmlm mailing list administration is that everything
> should be able to be manipulated via email.  Corinna has been able to
> subscribe and unsubscribe people from the cygwin mailing list for years.

OK, thanks for clarifying.  However, according to section 3.2, the
addition of moderators themselves (among other tasks) requires
command-line access.  Therefore, could someone with the necessary
permissions run the following:

ezmlm-sub /qmail/lists-system/postmaster yselkowi@redhat.com;

for list in cygwin cygwin-announce cygwin-apps cygwin-developers \
             cygwin-licensing cygwin-patches cygwin-talk cygwin-xfree \
             cygwin-xfree-announce; do
   ezmlm-sub /qmail/lists-sourceware/$list/mod yselkowi@redhat.com;
done

for list in cygwin-announce cygwin-xfree cygwin-xfree-announce; do
   ezmlm-unsub /qmail/lists-sourceware/$list/mod
yselkowitz@users.sourceforge.net;
done

ezmlm-unsub /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin-announce/mod
cygwin@cwilson.fastmail.fm;

TIA,

--

@ 2014-08-07 10:03         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-08-07 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Aug  6 16:50, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On 2014-08-06 09:16, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >The intent of ezmlm mailing list administration is that everything
> >should be able to be manipulated via email.  Corinna has been able to
> >subscribe and unsubscribe people from the cygwin mailing list for years.
>
> OK, thanks for clarifying.  However, according to section 3.2, the addition
> of moderators themselves (among other tasks) requires command-line access.
> Therefore, could someone with the necessary permissions run the following:
>
> ezmlm-sub /qmail/lists-system/postmaster yselkowi@redhat.com;
>
> for list in cygwin cygwin-announce cygwin-apps cygwin-developers \
>             cygwin-licensing cygwin-patches cygwin-talk cygwin-xfree \
>             cygwin-xfree-announce; do
>   ezmlm-sub /qmail/lists-sourceware/$list/mod yselkowi@redhat.com;
> done
>
> for list in cygwin-announce cygwin-xfree cygwin-xfree-announce; do
>   ezmlm-unsub /qmail/lists-sourceware/$list/mod
> yselkowitz@users.sourceforge.net;
> done
>
> ezmlm-unsub /qmail/lists-sourceware/cygwin-announce/mod
> cygwin@cwilson.fastmail.fm;

Oh, wow, Chuck Wilson was moderator for cygwin-announce?  This is
certainly not required anymore given his absence from the project for
quite some time.

Thanks,
Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: Cygwin infrastructure assistance, part 2
@ 2014-08-07 12:16         ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2014-08-07 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaakov Selkowitz; +Cc: overseers

Hi -

> ezmlm-sub [...]

Done.

- FChE

* Re: Cygwin infrastructure assistance, part 2
@ 2014-08-07 15:31         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-08-07 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Yaakov Selkowitz

On Wed, Aug 06, 2014 at 04:50:40PM -0500, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
>On 2014-08-06 09:16, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> $ ezmlm-list /qmail/lists-system/postmaster
>>> me AT cgf.cx
>>>
>>> I have attempted to subscribe to postmaster, but after acking my
>>> subscription request I am still not subscribed.  Would my subscription
>>> request be stuck in a moderator queue?

>>> Probably true, but occasionally human intervention is required, and it
>>> doesn't help us much if cgf is the only person getting them (and who
>>> knows for how much longer at that).
>>
>> I don't recall many cases of needing to be able to deal with a
>> cygwin-specific issue in postmaster mail.  There probably is a
>> disproportionate amount of people confused by the concept of not sending
>> html email but the canned response to that confusion is not
>> cygwin-specific.
>
>Understood, but eventually there will need to be some human
>intervention; as they say, "somebody has to do it" and I presume that
>won't be you going forward.

Again, The issues that show up at cygwin-owner are basically general "I
can't send email" messages that someone with a user account on
sourceware likely won't be able to solve.  The issues are not cygwin
specific.

One of the ecos guys monitors ecos-owner but usually the only thing he
does is either reiterate that html-email isn't allowed or make the
observation before I do.

cgf