* Please update Texinfo on gcc.gnu.org
@ 2023-03-21 11:11 Arsen Arsenović
From: Arsen Arsenović @ 2023-03-21 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to request that the server building GCC texinfo-based
documentation (which is, AFAIK, gcc.gnu.org) be updated to Texinfo
master, currently at commit f12de7a5b383bed0ea29ee34c427679e0f8b9658.

Getting an in-dev Texinfo installed and updating
maintainer-scripts/update_web_docs_git to use it and the new CSS (which
is a change that is currently committed in git) should be the last step
in the process of getting the recent Texinfo changes out to GCC users.

I've, so far, asked for approval for installing newer Texinfo on #gcc on
OFTC, and got an ACK from richi, and also asked in the original patch
thread (but it was late, so there have been no responses yet):
https://inbox.sourceware.org/gcc-patches/86sfdz2dyv.fsf@aarsen.me/

Please let me know if there's anything extra that I should do.

Thanks in advance, have a lovely day.
--
Arsen Arsenović

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Please update Texinfo on gcc.gnu.org
@ 2023-03-21 13:28 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2023-03-21 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi -

> I'd like to request that the server building GCC texinfo-based
> documentation (which is, AFAIK, gcc.gnu.org) be updated to Texinfo
> master, currently at commit f12de7a5b383bed0ea29ee34c427679e0f8b9658.
> [...]
> Please let me know if there's anything extra that I should do.

Have you considered getting the shared gccadmin account to build &
install its private copy of texinfo under its home directory?

- FChE

* Re: Please update Texinfo on gcc.gnu.org
@ 2023-03-21 15:24   ` Arsen Arsenović
From: Arsen Arsenović @ 2023-03-21 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@elastic.org> writes:

> Hi -
>
>> I'd like to request that the server building GCC texinfo-based
>> documentation (which is, AFAIK, gcc.gnu.org) be updated to Texinfo
>> master, currently at commit f12de7a5b383bed0ea29ee34c427679e0f8b9658.
>> [...]
>> Please let me know if there's anything extra that I should do.
>
> Have you considered getting the shared gccadmin account to build &
> install its private copy of texinfo under its home directory?

That would be okay too, by my opinion (if not better, since it localizes
changes).  I don't have the power to do that myself, though, and was
asked to write to overseers, hence my email.

Thanks, have a great day.

--

@ 2023-03-21 23:02   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2023-03-21 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: overseers, Arsen Arsenović

On Tue, 21 Mar 2023, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
>> I'd like to request that the server building GCC texinfo-based
>> documentation (which is, AFAIK, gcc.gnu.org) be updated to Texinfo
>> master, currently at commit f12de7a5b383bed0ea29ee34c427679e0f8b9658.
>> [...]
>> Please let me know if there's anything extra that I should do.
> Have you considered getting the shared gccadmin account to build &
> install its private copy of texinfo under its home directory?

I'm not sure how broadly we want to provide access to the gccadmin
account, software supply chain and such? (In general, not particular
to Arsen at all!)

I'll try to have a look at installing an updated version of Texinfo
and how to use it for our daily doc builds this coming weekend...

(Not a big fan of using "random" Git versions in production, though;
any chance for a regular release coming soon?)

Gerald

* Re: Please update Texinfo on gcc.gnu.org
@ 2023-03-22  0:17     ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2023-03-22  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer via Overseers
  Cc: Frank Ch. Eigler, Gerald Pfeifer, Arsen Arsenović

Hi Gerald,

On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 12:02:33AM +0100, Gerald Pfeifer via Overseers wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2023, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> >> I'd like to request that the server building GCC texinfo-based
> >> documentation (which is, AFAIK, gcc.gnu.org) be updated to Texinfo
> >> master, currently at commit f12de7a5b383bed0ea29ee34c427679e0f8b9658.
> >> [...]
> >> Please let me know if there's anything extra that I should do.
> > Have you considered getting the shared gccadmin account to build &
> > install its private copy of texinfo under its home directory?
>
> I'm not sure how broadly we want to provide access to the gccadmin
> account, software supply chain and such? (In general, not particular
> to Arsen at all!)

I would keep it to just the people you trust. But I do think we can
trust Arsen and it would be good as a penance to make him part of
gccadmins so he can be responsible for keeping texinfo up to date :)

But what we really should do is setup a dedicated/isolated
vm/container to do snapshot and doc builds. And then let the buildbot
do them against the lowest and latest supported textinfo versions (or
at least against some supported distro versions).

> I'll try to have a look at installing an updated version of Texinfo
> and how to use it for our daily doc builds this coming weekend...

I already build a version and installed it under
/home/gccadmin/texinfo/install-git/

But I haven't tried to use it yet.

> (Not a big fan of using "random" Git versions in production, though;
> any chance for a regular release coming soon?)

Agreed. Building from git is also a bit of a pain since it needs a
newer automake and help2man.

Cheers,

Mark

* Re: Please update Texinfo on gcc.gnu.org
@ 2023-03-22 10:39     ` Arsen Arsenović
From: Arsen Arsenović @ 2023-03-22 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Frank Ch. Eigler, overseers