public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* RE: HW requirements
@ 2004-01-11 16:52 Feneric Brown
From: Feneric Brown @ 2004-01-11 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> I really appreciate you doing the packed Boolean tables; it makes a big
> difference to people with less memory.  (maybe we should think about
> Xconq on PalmPilot or Cellphones?   Games on those things seem pretty
> popular  ;>  )

Actually porting Cconq to PalmPilots, Newtons, Psions, Nokia GEOS
units, etc. may not be that awful.  The biggest issue is probably
getting the build kit / SDKs / etc. for each; I don't think all of them
offer free development environments (although some definitely do).  Of
course, Cconq itself can't network with a proper Xconq game at the
moment, so that might limit the usefulness of such ports.

* RE: HW requirements
@ 2004-01-13 15:59 Eric W. Brown
From: Eric W. Brown @ 2004-01-13 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> Can the serial port on Commodore 128 even keep up with a 56K
> modem?

The misleading (but honest answer) is "not for long".  It (the whole
system including serial port and software emulated UART) can handle up
to 9600 bps without too much trouble (the C64 only up to a little over
2400 bps) but not the full bandwidth of what a modern modem can
deliver.

The more accurate answer however is "it doesn't have to".  Virtually
everyone who's still using a C128 (or C64 for that matter) these days
connect not through the native serial port, but rather through a UART
cartridge.  There were at least three such cartridges on the market for
fairly low money (they've always tended to be cheaper than the modems
themselves), but competent hardware hackers have also been known to
build them using freely available plans (do a search for "DataPump" or
"DataPump Plus" in conjunction with "C128" or "C64", and I'm sure
you'll be able to find a copy somewhere -- there used to be a bevy of
FTP sites that made it available for anonymous download).

> And since I feel a wave of nostalgia coming on, __I wonder how
> easy/hard it would be to make Cconq into a BBS "door"....

That's an interesting question.  If the BBS were also to support a web
front end, it could make for a unique Xconq experience...

* Re: HW requirements
@ 2004-01-13 10:42   ` Bruno Boettcher
From: Bruno Boettcher @ 2004-01-13 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 09:11:10AM -0800, Erik Jessen wrote:
hello!

ok i followed this trail with mild interest, but have this time to step
in myself :D

> Thanks!  I know people who do ASCII-only for email, etc. because they
as me...

> either have a slow connection, or want to avoid viruses.  I'd expected
uhm also commodity? as Feneric pointed out i am one of those users that
mangle incoming mail through numerous utilities, and i never found any
other MUA that is as practical and fast to use and not to say easy to
propagate through the net (means i want to consult my mails in usual way
from everywhere i happen to be) as mutt...

> that for playing Xconq, they'd have to have newer hardware (and/or a
> fast connection) to play Xconq, simply because of RAM/CPU
> considerations.

>> 4.  Sophisticated users who choose to route all their e-mail through a
>> system including combinations of things like Procmail, SpamAssassin,
>> JunkFilter, TMDA, Pine, Mutt, etc. in order to largely sidestep the
>> issues of spam and virii that so plague the modern world.
>>
>> We maintain a bunch of games on the system, and I'd have to say that
>> Cconq (the VT100 version of Xconq) remains one of the most popular,
>> right up there with NetHack and the various IF titles.

uhm i admit i am too a regulare ascii nethack player :D but in the case
of xconq i use the tcl/tk interface :D
and i have allways up to date machines, since i do number crunching for
my living.... which doesn't mean i have unlimited ressources, since the
main ressources go for the simulators running, which allready caused
several times the killing of some xconq games for outrunning
ressources...

--
ciao bboett
bboett@adlp.org

* RE: HW requirements
@ 2004-01-12 17:19 ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-01-12 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric W.Brown; +Cc: xconq7

Hi Eric, others,

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Eric W.Brown wrote:

> Oops, meant to say "it's possible to play Cconq on a remote server with
> a C128 connected only with a 56K modem."

Can the serial port on Commodore 128 even keep up with a 56K
modem?

And since I feel a wave of nostalgia coming on, __I wonder how
easy/hard it would be to make Cconq into a BBS "door"....

Eric

* Re: HW requirements
@ 2004-01-11 21:19               ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2004-01-11 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mcdonald; +Cc: ejessen, xconq7

> That said, it is hard for me to "feel the pain" when it comes to
> memory crunches, as the machine I use for development has 1 giga_,

Just look at how much memory is shown for the xconq process in "ps".
Granted, you have to bother to check....

> I could lie to the Linux kernel about how much memory I have by giving
> it a mem=64 argument from the boot loader or something....

I suppose this would the best way of getting an idea of how badly
paging affects xconq's performance.  I suppose one could try to have
some other process allocate a bunch of memory and keep accessing it
(which I suppose in some ways better resembles many real-world
situations), but the mem=64 thing is simpler.

* Re: HW requirements
@ 2004-01-11 20:05 ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2004-01-11 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> Actually, as long as the host machine is beefy enough, the people
> connected can play Cconq with much lesser clients.

Just in case it was unclear to anyone on first reading, "client" and
"host" here refer to remote login (say, via ssh or dial-up or
whatever).  The xconq protocol would presumably require roughly the
same resources on the host machine or the joining machine, since they
both keep a complete copy of the state and do all the calculations in
parallel.

* RE: HW requirements
@ 2004-01-11 18:12 Eric W. Brown
From: Eric W. Brown @ 2004-01-11 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

@ 2004-01-11 18:10 Feneric Brown
From: Feneric Brown @ 2004-01-11 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> Thanks!  I know people who do ASCII-only for email, etc. because they
> either have a slow connection, or want to avoid viruses.  I'd expected
> that for playing Xconq, they'd have to have newer hardware (and/or a
> fast connection) to play Xconq, simply because of RAM/CPU
> considerations.

Actually, as long as the host machine is beefy enough, the people
connected can play Cconq with much lesser clients.  Although I've not
tried it myself (now that I've said it, you know I have to!) I'm pretty
sure it's possible to play Cconq on a remote server while connected
only with a 56K modem.  Connecting from an old SLC via ethernet should
be blinding by comparison...

* RE: HW requirements
@ 2004-01-11 17:02 ` Erik Jessen
From: Erik Jessen @ 2004-01-11 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Feneric Brown', xconq7

Feneric,
Thanks!  I know people who do ASCII-only for email, etc. because they
either have a slow connection, or want to avoid viruses.  I'd expected
that for playing Xconq, they'd have to have newer hardware (and/or a
fast connection) to play Xconq, simply because of RAM/CPU
considerations.

This is really interesting.

Erik

From: Feneric Brown @ 2004-01-11 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> How many people use VT100 any more?

You'd be surprised.  I do the maintenance at a company that provides a
number of shell accounts to customers.  The users typically fall into
one or more of the following groups:

1.  Sophisticated users / designers who want a decent UNIX-like
environment with fairly up-to-date tools without having to maintain it
or handle the updating themselves;

2.  Users who are blind and have all output redirected through either a
reader box or a Braille hand reader;

3.  Users who are opposed to the upgrade cycle and who (often for
philosophical as well as financial reasons) have chosen to freeze their
hardware at a certain level that handles their own requirements (the
C128 is popular, but there are other makes & models  that are also
used);

4.  Sophisticated users who choose to route all their e-mail through a
system including combinations of things like Procmail, SpamAssassin,
JunkFilter, TMDA, Pine, Mutt, etc. in order to largely sidestep the
issues of spam and virii that so plague the modern world.

We maintain a bunch of games on the system, and I'd have to say that
Cconq (the VT100 version of Xconq) remains one of the most popular,
right up there with NetHack and the various IF titles.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* RE: HW requirements
@ 2004-01-11  7:52               ` Erik Jessen
From: Erik Jessen @ 2004-01-11  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Eric McDonald'; +Cc: 'Jim Kingdon', xconq7

My home machines all have at least 512MB RAM.
(have to - my kid's games want at least that much...  I should go write
kid's games that suck up a lot of RAM, and buy stock in Micron, so I
make
all my money off the memory that people will buy to play the games ;)

At work we use 1-12GB RAM, but that's because we have to.

I really appreciate you doing the packed Boolean tables; it makes a big
difference to people with less memory.  (maybe we should think about
Xconq on PalmPilot or Cellphones?   Games on those things seem pretty
popular  ;>  )

Regards,
Erik

From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-01-11  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Jessen; +Cc: 'Jim Kingdon', xconq7

@ 2004-01-11  7:25           ` Erik Jessen
From: Erik Jessen @ 2004-01-11  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jim Kingdon', xconq7

Based on a few of the last emails, I heard:

a) 24MB is the min.
b) it's an unrealistic min.

So, is anybody even really considering HW resources when actually doing
development?  (other than the general rule of "don't be wasteful")?

I'm just trying to understand the environment Xconq is living in - I
simply don't have any data - I do chip design for a living, not
software.

Erik

From: Jim Kingdon @ 2004-01-11  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

@ 2004-01-11  0:31       ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2004-01-11  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pessolo; +Cc: xconq7

>Hans Ronne writes:
> > As I said, 24 MB of RAM is required. I don't think disk space or CPU speed
> > is an issue on any machine that can run Xconq. The only serious limitation
> > on machines that people still use today is the poor graphics support in
> > pre-NT versions of Windows (98 etc). Which is a OS problem, not a hardware
> > problem.
>
>but there's still the curses version which does not require anything beyond
>a vt100 display

And between 3.5 and 8.5 MB of RAM depending on the game.

BTW, 24 MB is what you need to launch the standard game. It won't run long
on 24 MB, however. Some larger games (Ancient Near East) need up to 36 MB
to launch. Double that to make room for all the stuff that gets allocated
during a long game, and you get what Xconq really needs. For this reason, I
think the possibility of running Xconq on some of these older systems is
rather theoretical.

Hans

* RE: HW requirements
@ 2004-01-11  0:25       ` Erik Jessen
From: Erik Jessen @ 2004-01-11  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pessolo, 'Hans Ronne'; +Cc: xconq7

How many people use VT100 any more?

Erik

 > As I said, 24 MB of RAM is required. I don't think disk space or CPU
speed
 > is an issue on any machine that can run Xconq. The only serious
limitation
 > on machines that people still use today is the poor graphics support
in
 > pre-NT versions of Windows (98 etc). Which is a OS problem, not a
hardware
 > problem.

but there's still the curses version which does not require anything
beyond
a vt100 display

Klaus Schilling

* Re: HW requirements
@ 2004-01-10 23:31     ` klaus schilling
From: klaus schilling @ 2004-01-10 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Ronne; +Cc: Erik Jessen, xconq7

@ 2004-01-10 19:44   ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2004-01-10 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Jessen; +Cc: xconq7

>What about HW requirements (CPU speed, RAM, disk)?
>Where I'm going with this, is that machines typically have a 3-year
>life-span.  (before drives die, etc.).  So, figure 80-90% of customer
>base has a machine built since 2001.

As I said, 24 MB of RAM is required. I don't think disk space or CPU speed
is an issue on any machine that can run Xconq. The only serious limitation
on machines that people still use today is the poor graphics support in
pre-NT versions of Windows (98 etc). Which is a OS problem, not a hardware
problem.

As for the assumption that computers have a 3-year life-span, that may be
true in a corporate environment, but not elsewhere. I believe this has
already been discussed on the list.  We try to support a fairly broad range
of hardware and OS versions, not just the latest stuff.

Hans

* HW requirements
@ 2004-01-10 18:59 ` Erik Jessen
From: Erik Jessen @ 2004-01-10 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Hans Ronne', 'Eric McDonald'; +Cc: xconq7

What about HW requirements (CPU speed, RAM, disk)?
Where I'm going with this, is that machines typically have a 3-year
life-span.  (before drives die, etc.).  So, figure 80-90% of customer
base has a machine built since 2001.

Now, there will be people running older machines, but won't they also
want newer/faster CPUs, just to run the AI, and to have enough GDI to
run the program at all?

Now, I don't know what a mainstream machine was 3 years ago, but if
somebody could say, that'd help clarify just what kind of resources are
going to be available to players.

And thus, what kinds of resources the developers can count on being
present.

Erik