public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Re: Antarcticonq
@ 2004-10-06  2:52 Eric W. Brown
From: Eric W. Brown @ 2004-10-06  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> Oh lord, the Mountains of Madness...  I can't think of
> any way to model Lovecraft in XConq, but if I do,
> beware.  Nyarlathotep won't work until manual...

I don't know; portions of Antarctica's history according to Lovecraft.
I could easily see both the shoggoth uprising against the Elder Things
in Kadath and the possibly near future -- if we're to believe news
items like the one found here:

	http://www.ufoarea.com/aas_kadath_antarctica.html

conflict between humans and shoggoths after the ruins of Kadath are
opened.

:)

The biggest challenge with these scenarios is that (in modern times,
anyway) Kadath is mostly below the surface, and there is some argument
to extending it for multiple hexes; if this approach is taken it would
be reasonable to have units on the surface and units in the caves
beneath not be able to interact with one another or even be aware of
one another.

Didn't Matthew Skala mention that the ultimate goal of his Antarctica
work was to create a Lovecraft based module?

* Re: New Proposed Xconq Web Site Online
@ 2004-10-03 18:49 Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2004-10-03 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mcdonald; +Cc: xconq7

> Unless there is multi-platform, lightweight rendering API that can
> take a list of Pango glyphs (which I am led to believe is what comes
> out of the far end of the Pango pipeline) and actually draw them on
> the display, I am not sure how much use it would be to us.

It is possible that http://sdlpango.sourceforge.net/ is such a thing.
Although that page seemed to describe lots of issues, without quite
saying just what SDL_Pango does.

> Possibly. But, I have previously mentioned the possibility of writing
> labels in runic alphabets (both historical and fictitious):

It is the kind of thing which wouldn't be off the shelf.  But using
Unicode's private character numbers and writing yourself a font which
the usual UTF-8 tools can process might be just as easy as doing
everything from scratch.

Of course the real point of using something like Pango would be if we
want to deal with arabic, thai, bidirectional, and the other
complicated cases.  If you just want to put up characters next to each
other, something much simpler like the following (or even home grown
solutions like what we have now) are much more plausible:

http://www.linux-games.com/sfont/
http://www.geocities.com/andre_leiradella/#sdl_bdf