public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Issues with Time: Combat through the ages.
@ 2004-07-28 17:56 Henry J. Cobb
From: Henry J. Cobb @ 2004-07-28 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

Blimps should be added to the list of units that use ammo to attack and
their ammo supply should be cut down to 2 or 3.

Also transports should be allowed to carry up to 2 helicopters because in
the Postmodern era they do.  In exchange remove the capture ability of
helicopters because they carry infantry to make captures with.

Infantry should be cheaper to build than armor.

--
Henry J. Cobb's Completely Unofficial list of GURPS Vehicle Builder fixes
and workarounds.  http://www.io.com/~hcobb/gurps/gvb_faq.txt

* Re: Issues with Time: Combat through the ages.
@ 2004-07-28 18:25 ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-07-28 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry J. Cobb; +Cc: xconq7

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Henry J. Cobb wrote:

> Infantry should be cheaper to build than armor.

How much cheaper would you suggest? And why?

Also, did you ever figure out what more reasonable capture chances
would be for the Galaxy 2 game?

* Re: Issues with Time: Combat through the ages.
@ 2004-07-28 18:31   ` Henry J. Cobb
From: Henry J. Cobb @ 2004-07-28 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric McDonald; +Cc: Henry J. Cobb, xconq7

Eric McDonald wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Henry J. Cobb wrote:
>> Infantry should be cheaper to build than armor.
>
> How much cheaper would you suggest? And why?

Infantry production needs to be continued into the Postmodern era for
helicopter operations.  (And Calvary needs to be continued into Metros so
you've got something other than just infantry during this time.)

Perhaps have a best ground combatant cost of say 6 turns and the mix
changes and improves over time.  (Infantry and armor could both be at 6
and Cavalry at 8.)

> Also, did you ever figure out what more reasonable capture chances
> would be for the Galaxy 2 game?

The problem is sequencing rather that percentages.

The human player should not be allowed to just sit on his worlds and come
out and snipe as needed.

Perhaps allow the enemy ships to bombard the planets and eliminate the
ships that are parked on the landing field.

--
Henry J. Cobb's Completely Unofficial list of GURPS Vehicle Builder fixes
and workarounds.  http://www.io.com/~hcobb/gurps/gvb_faq.txt

* The battle for Taiwan
@ 2004-07-28 18:38     ` Henry J. Cobb
From: Henry J. Cobb @ 2004-07-28 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7; +Cc: Henry J. Cobb

This would be a fun scenario to build someday.

Is there some option for delayed reinforcements so the American carriers
don't show up until the second month?

-HJC

* Re: The battle for Taiwan
@ 2004-07-28 18:45       ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-07-28 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry J. Cobb; +Cc: xconq7

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Henry J. Cobb wrote:

> This would be a fun scenario to build someday.
>
> Is there some option for delayed reinforcements so the American carriers
> don't show up until the second month?

I haven't done much with reinforcements, but the mechanism to
place specific units in specific places at certain times does
exist. I believe that the Gettysburg game was mentioned as an
example of this. If you are interested in building such a
scenario, that may be one place to start.

Eric

* Re: The battle for Taiwan
@ 2004-07-28 22:47       ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2004-07-28 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry J. Cobb; +Cc: xconq7

>This would be a fun scenario to build someday.
>
>Is there some option for delayed reinforcements so the American carriers
>don't show up until the second month?

Yes. See the Gettysburg game for an example.

Hans

* Re: The battle for Taiwan
@ 2004-07-28 23:17         ` Elijah Meeks
From: Elijah Meeks @ 2004-07-28 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Ronne, Henry J. Cobb; +Cc: xconq7

A slightly more crude manner to achieve this is to
build seed units, which can lose a material every turn
and starves when it runs out of material.  By setting
its wreck-type to the unit you want (And changing the
see-chances so that it is not visible to any other
players), you can set the material to be your delay.
You can even change the starve hp so that there's some
variable to its appearance (A .25 hp loss to a 1 hp
unit would then appear sometime during the 1-4+ turns
after running out of its timer material).

It's crude, like I said, but I like it.  If you want a
group to appear at the same time, just set the
detonation option for one unit and have it only blow
up the seed units.

And I'd love to see a battle for Taiwan scenario,
myself.

Elijah

--- Hans Ronne <hronne@comhem.se> wrote:

> >This would be a fun scenario to build someday.
> >
> >Is there some option for delayed reinforcements so
> the American carriers
> >don't show up until the second month?
>
> Yes. See the Gettysburg game for an example.
>
> Hans

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

* Re: The battle for Taiwan
@ 2004-07-29  0:18           ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2004-07-29  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah Meeks; +Cc: xconq7

>A slightly more crude manner to achieve this is to
>build seed units, which can lose a material every turn
>and starves when it runs out of material.  By setting
>its wreck-type to the unit you want (And changing the
>see-chances so that it is not visible to any other
>players), you can set the material to be your delay.

That's an interesting idea! To elaborate further on this theme, I guess one
could also use the wreck-unit code to upgrade rather than downgrade units,
perhaps as a way to simulate combat experience. Something similar to when
"great leaders" appear in Civ3 (a concept that plays a too big role in that
game, in my opinion).

Hans

* Re: The battle for Taiwan
@ 2004-07-29  0:18             ` Elijah Meeks
From: Elijah Meeks @ 2004-07-29  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Ronne; +Cc: xconq7

> That's an interesting idea! To elaborate further on
> this theme, I guess one
> could also use the wreck-unit code to upgrade rather
> than downgrade units,
> perhaps as a way to simulate combat experience.
> Something similar to when
> "great leaders" appear in Civ3 (a concept that plays
> a too big role in that
> game, in my opinion).

Yeah, I've used a similar technique to introduce
random events in the new Opal.  I seed the world with
a number of independent units that have an accident
chance of 1% to be destroyed each turn, so
occasionally an independent pirate ship or bandit
fortress or hero or dragon will show up.  I like the
effect.

@ 2004-07-29  1:56             ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-07-29  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Ronne; +Cc: Elijah Meeks, xconq7

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Hans Ronne wrote:

> >A slightly more crude manner to achieve this is to
> >build seed units, which can lose a material every turn
> >and starves when it runs out of material.  By setting
> >its wreck-type to the unit you want (And changing the
> >see-chances so that it is not visible to any other
> >players), you can set the material to be your delay.
>
> That's an interesting idea! To elaborate further on this theme, I guess one
> could also use the wreck-unit code to upgrade rather than downgrade units,
> perhaps as a way to simulate combat experience. Something similar to when
> "great leaders" appear in Civ3 (a concept that plays a too big role in that
> game, in my opinion).

You guys are a bit twisted, IMO. :-)
Just use the existing auto-upgrade mechanism with an unseen unit
that grows in size at the rate of one size point per turn (don't
require any materials for the growth). Once the target size/turn
is achieved, then auto-upgrade to a seen reinforcement unit.

Eric

* Re: The battle for Taiwan
@ 2004-07-29  2:25               ` Lincoln Peters
From: Lincoln Peters @ 2004-07-29  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric McDonald; +Cc: Hans Ronne, Elijah Meeks, Xconq list

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 17:18, Eric McDonald wrote:
> You guys are a bit twisted, IMO. :-)
> Just use the existing auto-upgrade mechanism with an unseen unit
> that grows in size at the rate of one size point per turn (don't
> require any materials for the growth). Once the target size/turn
> is achieved, then auto-upgrade to a seen reinforcement unit.

Except that, if we do it your way, there is no variability in when the
units appear.  If you want barbarian invaders to start appearing at
random intervals but after at least 100 turns, you can add that
randomness by using Elijah's method.  Using your method, the barbarians
would all appear simultaneously.

I think that what Xconq should really have is a mechanism for generating
independent units that appear in random places at random times.
Although in many cases, additional constraints would be required (it
would rarely make sense for a barbarian horde to spontaneously appear
adjacent to your capital city, for example).

In knights.g, or a derivative thereof, I might use such a mechanism to
cause monsters to appear semi-randomly.  Lowly monsters such as goblins
are pretty weak, and so could appear at any time without presenting an
overwhelming challenge.  A great red wyrm, on the other hand, could end
the game before it even begins if it appears before each side has at
least a few 20th-level knights.  And above all, such creatures should
never randomly appear within areas that have been explored by one or
more sides (since such areas are civilized and clear of monsters),
although a monster could randomly appear in an unexplored area and move
into an explored area.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln@sbcglobal.net>

This generation doesn't have emotional baggage.  We have emotional moving vans.
		-- Bruce Feirstein

* Re: The battle for Taiwan
@ 2004-08-01 16:53                 ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-08-01 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lincoln Peters; +Cc: Hans Ronne, Elijah Meeks, Xconq list

Lincoln Peters wrote:

> Except that, if we do it your way, there is no variability in when the
> units appear.

I was proposing another way to address Henry Cobb's earlier question to
the list, which as far as I could tell, did not involve variability in
the turn of appearance. "My way" is essentially as twisted as the
Meeks-Ronne Method, and it was proposed in jest. Using the existing
mechanism ("appear", IIRC) is likely the best way to achieve what he wanted.

>If you want barbarian invaders to start appearing at
> random intervals but after at least 100 turns, you can add that
> randomness by using Elijah's method.

Yes, I am aware of that. I read his message.

For variability in the turn of appearance, Elijah's idea is quite novel
and creative. Good thinking, Elijah.

> I think that what Xconq should really have is a mechanism for generating
> independent units that appear in random places at random times.

I suggested that before (and not just for independent units), and I
believe you were the one who assumed that I meant random unit types as
well. The disucussion took place on the list last November or December,
if I am correct in the rememberance.

> Although in many cases, additional constraints would be required (it
> would rarely make sense for a barbarian horde to spontaneously appear
> adjacent to your capital city, for example).

IIRC, one thing I think I suggested to address this issue was starting
zones (such as countries). In the case of indep units, one could require
a minimum separation distance from any units belonging to a player side;
or, at least, that has been my private thinking on the issue, wrt
Wreckreation.

Eric

* [xconq] My hacked up copy of time.g
@ 2004-08-03 22:37         ` Henry J. Cobb
                             ` (3 more replies)
From: Henry J. Cobb @ 2004-08-03 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

I tried to send my current working copy of time.g, but it was blocked.

The file complains about the terran, but it does come out about right for me.

I play at level-1, Slow Progress against three mplayers all at level-5 and
the independents also at level-5 running iplayer.  (Why doesn't a saved
game remember the independents player?)

Two boats full of horses or one transport full of tanks or one loaded UFO
can really flip an industrial area.

My basic changes were to the terran generation, map size, blimp ammo,
extended production of cav and inf and some fiddling with the combat
tables.

I'm thinking about allowing cannon to stick around as long as inf with
fewer HPs but ranged fire and the power of AA batteries.

--
Henry J. Cobb's Completely Unofficial list of GURPS Vehicle Builder fixes
and workarounds.  http://www.io.com/~hcobb/gurps/gvb_faq.txt

* Re: [xconq] My hacked up copy of time.g
@ 2004-08-04  0:15           ` Hans Ronne
                             ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Hans Ronne @ 2004-08-04  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry J. Cobb; +Cc: xconq7

>I tried to send my current working copy of time.g, but it was blocked.

Perhaps it ended in .zip. I think those files are filtered out as possible
viruses. Posting of files to the lists is discouraged by RedHat, but not
yet banned, I think.

>The file complains about the terran, but it does come out about right for me.

I assume you mean terrain. Adding new terrain images to a game can be a
little tricky.

>I play at level-1, Slow Progress against three mplayers all at level-5 and
>the independents also at level-5 running iplayer.  (Why doesn't a saved
>game remember the independents player?)

It should. However, indepside has its own read and write code for
historical reasons, so this may well be a bug. I will look into it.

>Two boats full of horses or one transport full of tanks or one loaded UFO
>can really flip an industrial area.
>
>My basic changes were to the terran generation, map size, blimp ammo,
>extended production of cav and inf and some fiddling with the combat
>tables.
>
>I'm thinking about allowing cannon to stick around as long as inf with
>fewer HPs but ranged fire and the power of AA batteries.

If you feel ready for a greater challenge, there is the possibility of
writing an entirely new historical era. See the design notes for some ideas
that the original game writers had, but never implemented.

Hans

* Re: [xconq] My hacked up copy of time.g
@ 2004-08-04  0:48           ` Eric McDonald
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-08-04  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry J. Cobb; +Cc: xconq7

Henry J. Cobb wrote:

> I tried to send my current working copy of time.g, but it was blocked.

You could put the file inline in the message and post it to the list
that way. Unless Redhat has lowered the message size limits, fairly
sizable messages are allowed.

Also, people have attached games (*.g files) to messages and
successfully posted them to the list. I don't know what the limit is on
attachment sizes, but you might be able to slip it through that way.

> My basic changes were to the terran generation, map size, blimp ammo,
> extended production of cav and inf and some fiddling with the combat
> tables.
>
> I'm thinking about allowing cannon to stick around as long as inf with
> fewer HPs but ranged fire and the power of AA batteries.

Sounds interesting.

Eric

* Re: [xconq] My hacked up copy of time.g
@ 2004-08-04  1:23           ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-08-04  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry J. Cobb; +Cc: xconq7

Henry J. Cobb wrote:

> The file complains about the terran, but it does come out about right for me.

I just fired up the game you attached.

The warning you are getting is because certain alt-percentiles or
wet-percentiles are not completely covered. You will need to increase
the percentile coverages for certain terrains until there are no gaps
between percentile bands. Any gaps are being substituted with
terrain-type 0, 'ocean', and so the world actually has too much water.

Eric

* Re: [xconq] My hacked up copy of time.g, 2nd attempt
@ 2004-08-04  1:23             ` Henry J. Cobb
       [not found]             ` <6988.68.126.82.218.1091675883.squirrel@webmail.io.com>
From: Henry J. Cobb @ 2004-08-04  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7; +Cc: Henry J. Cobb

As an attachment this time.

--
Henry J. Cobb's Completely Unofficial list of GURPS Vehicle Builder fixes
and workarounds.  http://www.io.com/~hcobb/gurps/gvb_faq.txt

[-- Attachment #2: time.g --]

(game-module "time"
  (title "Time: Combat Through The Ages")
  (blurb "Ancient Greece, but not for long. Written by Henry Ware, with help from Victor Mascari and Massimo Campostrini.")
  (version "1.0")
  (instructions (
    "Each city type represents an era."
    "One of your cities should always build the more modern city,"
    "while your other cities build units for expansion and conquest."
    "When the new city is completed, all your other cities should upgrade."
  ))
  (variants
    (world-seen false)
    (see-all false)
    (sequential false)
    (world-size (90 60 360))
    ("Mostly Sea" mostly-sea
      (true
        ;; Adjust so that sea is 20% instead of 50% of the world.
  (add sea alt-percentile-min 50)
  (add sea alt-percentile-max 80)
  (add shallows alt-percentile-min 20)
  (add shallows alt-percentile-max 21)
  (add swamp alt-percentile-min 5)
  (add swamp alt-percentile-max 12)
  (add (desert plains forest) alt-percentile-min 5)
       ))
    ("Mostly Land" mostly-land
      (true
        ;; Adjust so that sea is 20% instead of 50% of the world.
        (add sea alt-percentile-max 20)
        (add shallows alt-percentile-min 20)
        (add shallows alt-percentile-max 21)
        (add swamp alt-percentile-min 21)
        (add swamp alt-percentile-max 23)
        (add (desert plains forest) alt-percentile-min 21)
        ))
    ("All Land" all-land
      (true
;; Adjust sea and shallows out of existence, let swamp take all the low spots.
        (add sea alt-percentile-min 0)
        (add sea alt-percentile-max 0)
        (add shallows alt-percentile-min 0)
        (add shallows alt-percentile-max 0)
        (add swamp alt-percentile-min 0)
        (add swamp alt-percentile-max 2)
        (add swamp wet-percentile-min 0)
        (add swamp wet-percentile-max 100)
        (add (desert plains forest) alt-percentile-min 2)
        ;; Counterproductive to try to set up near water.
		(add sea country-terrain-min 0)
        ))
    (slow-progress false
      (true
	(add (M N * @ & U F) tech-max 30)
	(add (M N * @ & U F) tech-to-build 30)
	))
    )
)

(imf "blimp" ((16 16)
  (mono "0000/0000/0000/0000/0000/03fc/8ffe/dfff/ffff/ffff/8ffe/01e0/0000/0000/0000/0000")
  (mask "0000/0000/0000/0000/07fe/dfff/ffff/ffff/ffff/ffff/ffff/dfff/03e0/0000/0000/0000")))
(imf "ogre-2" ((16 16)
  (mono "0000/0000/0000/0000/0000/1010/0e24/1ff9/2fbe/3eee/7fff/aaaa/f7df/7bf7/3dfe/0000")
  (mask "0000/0000/0000/0000/0000/1f7e/3fff/7fff/7fff/ffff/ffff/ffff/ffff/ffff/ffff/7fff")))
(imf "mech-2" ((16 16)
  (mono "0000/0000/0180/07e0/0180/1ff8/1a58/27e4/366c/33cc/23c4/0180/0240/0240/0c30/0c30")
  (mask "0000/03c0/07e0/0ff0/1ff8/3ffc/3ffc/7ffe/7ffe/7ffe/7ffe/07e0/07e0/0ff0/1e78/1e78")))

(unit-type x (name "phalanx") (image-name "hoplite") (char "x")
  (help "men with spears")
  (notes "fights, captures cities, explores"))
(unit-type g (name "galley") (image-name "bireme") (char "g")
  (help "carries ground units")
  (notes "carries phalanxes, knights, longbowmen"))
(unit-type k (name "knight") (image-name "swordman") (char "k")
  (help "men with swords and armour")
  (notes "good to capture cities"))
(unit-type l (name "longbowman") (image-name "archer") (char "l")
  (help "men with bows")
  (notes "good to fight ground units"))
(unit-type s (name "boat") (image-name "twodecker") (char "s")
  (help "carries more stuff than a galley")
  (notes "carries ground units except armor and battledroids"))
(unit-type y (name "cannon") (image-name "cannon") (char "y")
  (help "kills infantry"))
(unit-type c (name "cavalry") (image-name "cavalry") (char "c")
  (help "fast, kills cannon"))
(unit-type i (name "infantry") (image-name "soldiers") (char "i")
  (help "men with guns"))
(unit-type d (name "dirigible") (image-name "blimp") (char "d")
  (help "good for reconassiance"))
(unit-type B (name "battleship") (image-name "bb") (char "B")
  (help "hard to kill, good at killing"))
(unit-type t (name "transport") (image-name "ap") (char "t")
  (help "easy to kill- but carries alot")
  (notes "carries ground units except battledroids"))
(unit-type C (name "carrier") (image-name "cv") (char "C")
  (help "takes airplanes where they need to go"))
(unit-type f (name "fighter") (image-name "fighter") (char "f")
  (help "kills bombers & does light bombing itself"))
(unit-type a (name "armor") (image-name "tank") (char "a")
  (help "men in tanks"))
(unit-type h (name "helicopter") (image-name "helicopter") (char "h")
  (help "carries infantry, good ground support"))
(unit-type b (name "bomber") (image-name "stealth-bomber-2") (char "b")
  (help "long range aircraft with nuclear bombs"))
(unit-type z (name "flying saucer") (image-name "saucer") (char "z")
  (help "men in metallic clothing")
  (notes "carries battledroids"))
(unit-type q (name "battledroid") (image-name "mech-2") (char "q")
  (help "self-motivated weapon")
  (notes (
  "The battledroid is a heavily armed robot whose sophisticated programming"
  "allows it to kill all armed opponents without harming civilians."
  "Battledroids refuse to attack phalanxes, due to a software bug.")))
(unit-type X (name "TraXor") (image-name "ogre-2") (char "X")
  (help "the ultimate war machine")
  (notes (
  "Not much is known about the TraXor."
  "We are reasonably certain it emanates rainbow colored beams"
  "and can reduce vast areas to ruin.")))
(unit-type W (name "fort") (image-name "walltown") (char "W")
  (help "useful as a canal & is defensible"))
(unit-type / (name "base") (image-name "airbase") (char "/")
  (help "a port and airstrip"))
(unit-type A (name "Polis") (image-name "parthenon") (char "A")
  (help "can build phalanxes, galleys or it can ungrade"))
(unit-type M (name "Castle") (image-name "castle") (char "M")
  (help "a step above ancients- hard to capture"))
(unit-type N (name "City") (image-name "town20") (char "N")
  (help "a Napoleonic Era city- makes units with guns"))
(unit-type * (name "Metropolis") (image-name "city18") (char "*")
  (help "a WWI era city.  Battleships are killer."))
(unit-type @ (name "Modern City") (image-name "city19") (char "@")
  (help "a WWII city- an air power era"))
(unit-type & (name "Post-Modern City") (image-name "city20") (char "&")
  (help "a WWIII city- Nuke 'em!"))
(unit-type U (name "Habitat") (image-name "town22") (char "U")
  (help "The future has arrived"))
(unit-type F (name "Flying City") (image-name "city30") (char "F")
  (help "Paradise on(?) Earth & a flying party"))

(material-type food (help "for thought?"))
(material-type fuel (help "energy for a better tomorrow"))
(material-type ammo (help "the general's munitions"))
(material-type bombs (help "nuke 'em"))

(include "stdterr")

; more land, more forest
;                                sea sha swa des pla for mou ice
(add cell-t* alt-percentile-min (  0  48  50  50  51  51  90  99))
(add cell-t* alt-percentile-max ( 50  50  51 100 100 100 100 100))
(add cell-t* wet-percentile-min ( 20   0  20   0  20  70   0   0))
(add cell-t* wet-percentile-max (100 100 100  20  60  50 100 100))

(set alt-blob-density 7000)
(set alt-blob-height 500)
(set alt-blob-size 100)
(set alt-smoothing 6)
(set wet-blob-density 3000)
(set wet-blob-size 100)

(table terrain-damaged-type
  (plains desert 1)
  (forest desert 1)
  (ice mountains 1)
  )

(set edge-terrain ice)

;DEFINITIONS
; F not in movement definitions.  Cleaner this way.
; Everything is in either movers or places.

(define cities (A M N * @ & U F))	; just devlopers.
(define bases (W /))	; other places
(define places (W / A M N * @ & U F))	; things that host lots.
(define makers (A M N * @ & U F))
(define ground (x k l c y i a q))
(define aircraft (d f h b z X))
(define pitstops (/ N * @ & U F))	; with gas
(define ship (g s B t C))
(define movers (x g k l s c y i d B t C f a h b z q X))
(define water (sea shallows))
(define land (plains forest desert mountains))

;**************************************************************
(define firstu A)	; <-- CHANGING THIS LINE TO A DIFFERENT CITY
;********************** WILL CHANGE THE STARTING CITY IN THE WHOLE PROGRAM
;			 Is that user-friendly or what?
;
;                       Well, you *might* want to change the period name too.

; (add u* point-value 1) ; better thus way?
(add cities point-value (5 20 80 320 1280 5120 20480 32000))

;STARTUP STUFF
(add firstu start-with 4)

(table independent-density (firstu plains 180))

(table favored-terrain
  (u* t* 0)
  (cities plains 100)
  )

(table vanishes-on
  (u* t* false)
  (places (sea shallows ice) true)
  (F t* false)
  (firstu (swamp desert mountains) true)
  )

(set country-separation-min 30)
(set country-separation-max 100)
(set country-radius-min 5)
; (set country-radius-max 10)
(add cities initial-seen-radius 2)

(add places already-seen 1)
(add places see-always 1)

;PRODUCTION and REPAIR

(add A cp 1)
(add (M x g) cp (5 4 12))
(add (N k l s) cp (5 4 4 12))
(add (* s c y i) cp (5 7 6 6 8))
(add (@ d B t) cp (5 8 12 10))
(add (& C f a) cp (5 12 5 6))
(add (U h b) cp (5 6 8))
(add (F z q) cp (5 8 6))
(add X cp 6)
(add (W /) cp (8 10))

(table acp-to-create
  (A (M x g) 1)
  (M (N g k l s) 1)
  (N (* s c y i) 1)
  (* (@ c i d B t) 1)
  (@ (& i B t C f a) 1)
  (& (U i t C f a h b) 1)
  (U (F z q) 1)
  (F (z q X) 4)
  ((x k l) W 2)
  ((c y i a) / (3 1 2 4))
  )

(table acp-to-build
  (A (M x g) 1)
  (M (N g k l s) 1)
  (N (* s c y i) 1)
  (* (@ c i d B t) 1)
  (@ (& i B t C f a) 1)
  (& (U i t C f a h b) 1)
  (U (F z q) 1)
  (F (z q X) 4)
  ((x k l) W 2)
  ((c y i a) / (3 1 2 4))
  )

(table cp-per-build
  (A (M x g) 1)
  (M (N g k l s) 1)
  (N (* s c y i) 1)
  (* (@ c i d B t) 1)
  (@ (& i B t C f a) 1)
  (& (U i t C f a h b) 1)
  (U (F z q) 1)
  (F (z q X) 1)
  ((x k l) W 2)
  ((c y i a) / (3 1 2 4))
  )

(table cp-on-creation
  (A (M x g) 1)
  (M (N k l s) 1)
  (M g 6)
  (N (* c y i) 1)
  (N s 4)
  (* (@ d B t) 1)
  (* i 3)
  (@ (& C f a) 1)
  (@ (i B t) (5 3 3))
  (& (U h b) 1)
  (& (t C f a) (3 4 2 3))
  (U (F z q) 1)
  (F X 1)
  (F (z q) (5 3))
  ((x k l) W (1 4 3))
  ((c y i a) / (1 1 3 5))
  )

(table hp-to-garrison
  (A M 4)
  (M N 5)
  (N * 6)
  (* @ 7)
  (@ & 8)
  (& U 9)
  (U F 10)
  ((x k l) W 1)
  ((c y i a) / (2 2 2 3))
  )

(table occupant-can-construct
  (u* u* true)
  )

; development

(add u* tech-per-turn-max 1)

(add (M N * @ & U F) tech-max 15)
(add (M N * @ & U F) tech-to-build 15)

(add l tech-max 1)
(add l tech-to-build 1)

(add X tech-max 2)
(add X tech-to-build 2)

(table tech-per-develop
  (A M 1.00)
  (M (N l) 1.00)
  (N * 1.00)
  (* @ 1.00)
  (@ & 1.00)
  (& U 1.00)
  (U F 1.00)
  (F X 1.00)
)
(table acp-to-develop
  (A M 1)
  (M (N l) 1)
  (N * 1)
  (* @ 1)
  (@ & 1)
  (& U 1)
  (U F 1)
  (F X 1)
  )

(table auto-repair
  ; cities & bases repair older & contemporary units, not newer ones
  (A (x g) 1.00)
  (M (x g k l s) 1.00)
  (N (x g k l s c y i) 1.00)
  (* (x g k l s c y i d B t) 1.00)
  (@ (x g k l s c y i d B t C f a) 1.00)
  (& (x g k l s c y i d B t C f a h b) 1.00)
  (U (x g k l s c y i d B t C f a h b z q) 1.00)
  (F (x g k l s c y i d B t C f a h b z q X) 1.00)
  (W (x g k l s W) 0.33)
  (/ (x g k l s c y i d B t C f a h b /) 0.33)
  (cities cities 0.33)
  (i i 0.50)
  (a a 0.50)
  (q q 0.50)
  (X X 1.00)
  )

(add cities hp-recovery 0.33)
(add bases  hp-recovery 0.33)

;RESOURCES

(table supply-on-completion
  (u* m* 0)
;                   /  N   *   @   &  U F
  (pitstops fuel (100 50 100 200 300 50 0))
  (pitstops ammo ( 50 25  50  50  50 50 0))
  ((& b U) bombs (25 0 50))
  )

(table unit-storage-x
;                   /   N   *   @   &   U F
  (pitstops fuel (200 100 200 400 600 100 0))
  (pitstops ammo (100  50 100 100 100 100 0))
;               x g k l s c y  i  d   B   t   C  f  a  h  b z q X
  (movers fuel (0 0 0 0 0 0 0 20 75 400 400 400 18 40 12 36 0 0 0))
  (movers ammo (0 0 0 0 0 8 5  6  2  40  50  80  3 12  4  0 0 0 0))
  ((& b U) bombs (50 1 100))
  )

(table base-production
;                   /   N   *   @   &   U   F
  (pitstops fuel ( 20  30  60  90 120 100 999))
  (pitstops ammo ( 10   5  10  10  10 100 999))
  ((& U F C /) bombs (1 50 100 3 3))
  )

; ----------------------------------------
; (table productivity
;   ((i a) t* 0)
;   ((i a) plains 100)
; )
; (table base-production
;   ((i a) forest 50)
;   ((i a) fuel 2)
; )
; ----------------------------------------

(table base-consumption ((a i d h f b) fuel (1 1 5 2 3 2)))

(table hp-per-starve ((a i d h f b) fuel 1.00))

(table in-length
  (u* m* 0)
  (places m* -1)
  )

(table out-length
  (u* m* 0)
  (ground m* -1)
  (ship m* 0)
  (F m* 0)
  )

;MOVEMENT

(add movers acp-per-turn
;  x g k l s c y i d B t C f a h b  z q X
  (2 3 2 2 3 3 1 2 5 5 5 5 9 4 4 6 12 8 9))
(add movers acp-min
;   x  g  k  l  s  c  y  i  d  B  t  C  f  a  h  b  z  q  X
  (-1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -2 -2 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1  0 -3  0  0  0 -2  0))
(add places acp-per-turn 1)
(add bases acp-per-turn 0)
(add F acp-per-turn 4)

(add places speed 0)
(add movers speed 100)
(add F speed 100)

(table mp-to-enter-terrain
  (u* t* 99)
  (ground land 1)
  (ground river 1)
  (c river 2)
  ((y a) river (2 5))
  ((x i) swamp 2)
  (c (mountains forest) 3)
  (a (mountains forest) 2)
  (aircraft t* 1)
  (aircraft river 0)
  (ship water 1)
  ((B C) shallows 2)
  (F t* 1)
  (F river 0)
  (X sea 2)
  )

(table mp-to-traverse
  (ship river 2)
  (ground road 1)
  )

(table consumption-per-move
  (aircraft fuel 1)
  ((z X) fuel 0)
  ((B t C) fuel 1)
  (F m* 0)
  )

(table material-to-move ((i a B t C d f h b) fuel 1))

(table accident-hit-chance
  (u* t* 0)
  ((x i) swamp (1000 500))
  )

;FIXME "has been overcome by malaria" (x i) accident-message

;VOLUME STUFF

(table unit-size-as-occupant
  (u* u* 9999)
  (places places 200)
  (ground u* 1)
  ((i y c) u* 2)
  ((a h) u* 4)
  (q u* 8)
  (g u* 3)
  ((s t) u* 6)
  ((B C) u* 24)
  (d u* 10)
  (f u* 5)
  ((b z) u* 15)
  (X u* 100)
  )

(table occupant-max
  (u* u* 0)
  (g (x k l) 3)
  (s (x k l c y i) 8)
  (t (x k l c y i a) 8)
  (t h 2)
  (h i 1)
  (C (h f b z) 3)
  (z q 2)
  (bases u* 10)
  (makers u* 20)
  (U u* 10)
  ((W A M N) aircraft 0)
  ((/ * @ & U) X 0)
  (F X 1)
  (N d 1)
  (ship ship 0)
  (places places 0)
  (A M 1)
  (M N 1)
  (N * 1)
  (* @ 1)
  (@ & 1)
  (& U 1)
  (U F 1)
  )

(add g capacity 3)
(add s capacity 8)
(add t capacity 16)
(add h capacity 2)
(add C capacity 33)
(add z capacity 16)
(add / capacity 100)
(add W capacity 16)
(add cities capacity 1000)

(table mp-to-enter-unit
  (f u* 9)
  (b u* 6)
  (d u* 5)
  (z u* 12)
  (X u* 8)
  (h u* 4)
  )

(add (f b d z X h) free-mp (9 6 5 12 8 4))

;;; Unit-terrain capacities.

;; Limit units to 4 in one cell.
;;  Places cover the entire cell, however.

(table unit-size-in-terrain
  (movers t* 4)
  (X t* 12)
  (places t* 16)
  )

(add t* capacity 16)

; aircrafts can always overfly places
(table terrain-capacity-x
  (u* t* 0)
  (aircraft cell-t* 2)
  (X t* 0)
  )

;SIGHT AREA

(add d vision-range 2)	; was 1
(add C vision-range 2)
(add & vision-range 4)
(add U vision-range 6)
(add X vision-range 8)
(add F vision-range 10)

;COMBAT
; Note that the battledroid does not recognize the phalanx as being armed
; and will refuse to attack it.  Other than that things are fairly staight
; forward.  I based these numbers on my recolections of history, where such
; recollections were available.  (ie. Italians in Ethiopia, Brits vs Zulus,
; etc. for i vs x)  For how TraXors fare against armor, I used the best
; available sources.

(table damage
  (u* u* 1)
  (aircraft ship 2)
  (aircraft places 2)
  (b u* 100)
  (b aircraft 1)
  (b X 100)
  (y i 2)
  (y (A M) 3)
  (B u* 2)
  ((z X F) u* 99)	; who knows how they do it...
  (z (q F X) (2 2 8))
  (q u* 3)
  (X (F X) 5)
  (F (F X) 5)
  (q places 0)
  )

;                   W / A M N * @ & U  F
(add places hp-max (2 5 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11))
;                   x  g  k  l  s  c  y  i  d  B  t  C  f  a  h  b  z  q  X
(add movers hp-max (1  1  1  1  2  2  2  2  1  8  2  4  1  3  1  1  1  4 24))

(table hit-chance
; ------------------------- movers vs. movers -------------------------
;             x  g  k  l  s  c  y  i  d  B  t  C  f  a  h  b  z  q  X
  (x movers (40 10 50 20 10 10 05 15  0  0  0  0  0  1  0  0  0  5  0))
  (g movers (10 40 10 05 20  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0))
  (k movers (60 20 40 20 15 20 05 15  0  0  0  0  0  1  0  0  0  0  0))
  (l movers (80 40 80 40 30 30 20 20  4  0  0  0  0  1  0  0  0  0  0))
  (s movers (12 40 10 07 40  5 15  5  0  0  5  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0))
  (c movers (60 40 60 60 35 40 80 30 25  5  5  5  1  2  1  0  0  0  0))
  (y movers (90 90 90 80 60 20 40 80 50 15 25 10 10 25  0  0  0  0  0))
  (i movers (80 70 80 70 35 80 20 40 25  5  5  5  5 20 20 20  3  0  3))
  (d movers (20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20  5  5  5  1  1  0  1))
  (B movers (90 90 90 90 90 60 60 40 30 40 80 80 20 30 25 20  5  3  5))
  (t movers (15 15 15 15 15  5  5  5 30  5 15  5 20  3 20 10  2  0  2))
  (C movers ( 0 15  0  0 15  0  0  0 99 10  0  0 40  0 30 30 10  0  1))
  (f movers (90 90 90 90 90 50 50 50 99 80 80 60 30 40 90 90 40  3 60))
  (a movers (99 80 99 99 80 70 70 70 40 20 20 20 30 40 30 40 12  5 20))
  (h movers (99 90 99 99 90 99 99 90 80 10 30 10 10 70 20 10 05  5 05))
  (b movers (99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 20 99 99 10 40 10 80))
  (z movers (99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 49 60 99))
  (q movers ( 0 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 40 50 80))
  (X movers (99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 25 70 90))
; ------------------------- places vs. movers -------------------------
;             x  g  k  l  s  c  y  i  d  B  t  C  f  a  h  b  z  q  X
  (W movers (50 50 60 40 10 10 05 10  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0))
  (/ movers (80 70 80 70 35 80 25 35 30  5  5  5 15 20 20 20  3  0  3))
  (A movers (50 50 40 40 10 10 05 10  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0))
  (M movers (80 40 40 40 20 20 05 12  2  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0))
  (N movers (80 60 60 50 30 30 30 30 30 10 10  5  5  5  0  0  0  0  0))
  (* movers (90 70 70 70 60 50 35 50 40 20 20 10 15 20  5  0  0  0  0))
  (@ movers (95 80 80 80 70 60 40 60 40 25 25 20 20 25 15 10  0  0  0))
  (& movers (95 90 90 90 90 70 45 70 50 30 30 25 25 40 25 20  5  0 10))
  (U movers (99 99 99 99 99 90 80 80 60 50 50 50 60 60 60 60 40  0 40))
  (F movers (99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 70 45 30))
; ------------------------- movers vs. places -------------------------
;              W   /   A   M   N   *   @   &   U   F
  (x places ( 30   5  50  30  10   4   1   1   0   0))
  (k places ( 30  15  70  50  20   5   3   2   1   0))
  (l places ( 40  10  50  50  20   6   5   4   2   0))
  (c places ( 40  20  50  50  40  30  20  10   5   0))
  (d places ( 40  20  50  50  40  30  20  10   5   0))
  (y places ( 60  40  90  90  70  60  50  20   5   0))
  (i places ( 40  30  70  60  50  50  40  30  10   0))
  (B places ( 99  99  99  99  90  90  90  60  10   0))
  (f places ( 99  60  99  99  90  90  60  50  15   0))
  (a places ( 50  90  99  95  95  90  80  80  30   0))
  (h places ( 40  20  20  20  20  20  20  20  20   0))
  (b places ( 99  99  99  99  99  99  99  99  40  01))
  (z places ( 99  99  99  95  90  80  60  50  30  30))
  (q places 100)
  (X places (100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100  70))
  (F places (100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100  30))
  )

(table capture-chance
;             W  /  A  M  N  *  @  &  U  F
  (x places (40  5 50 20 20 10  5  5  0  0))
  (k places (50 15 70 50 30 12 10 10  1  0))
  (l places (20 10 20 20 20 10 10 10  0  0))
  (c places (80 30 90 60 40 30 30 20 10  0))
  (i places (90 70 90 70 70 70 60 60 20  0))
  (a places (99 90 99 95 95 90 80 80 30  0))
  (q places (99 99 99 95 95 90 90 90 50 30))
  )

(table independent-capture-chance
;             W  /  A  M  N  *  @  &  U  F
  (x places (65 15 75 30 22 15  9  7  2  0))
  (k places (75 40 90 75 50 30 20 14  3  0))
  (l places (45 30 45 45 40 25 15 10  2  0))
  (c places (90 55 95 80 60 50 40 30 15  1))
  (i places (99 85 99 95 90 90 80 70 30  5))
  (a places (99 99 99 99 99 95 90 85 50 10))
  (q places (99 99 99 99 99 98 98 98 75 50))
  )

;****************************************************

(table protection add (places movers 50))
(table consumption-per-attack add ((c y i d B t C f a h) ammo 1))
(table hit-by add (u* (ammo bombs) 1))
(table consumption-per-attack add (b bombs 1))

;OTHER STUFF

(add u* acp-to-change-side 1)	; equipment is indifferent to its fate
(add (x k l c i) acp-to-change-side 0)	; but armies have some loyalty

; disband takes one turn
(add movers hp-per-disband 100)
;                           x g k l s c y i d B t C f a h b  z q X
(add movers acp-to-disband (2 3 2 2 3 3 1 2 5 5 5 5 9 4 4 6 12 8 9))

(add u* spy-chance 0)
(table spy-quality (u* u* 10))	; a higher spy-quality is too big an advantage

;;; Scoring.

(scorekeeper
  (title "")
  (do last-side-wins)
  )

;;; Text.

(set action-notices '(
  ((destroy u* ground) (actor " defeats " actee "!"))
  ((destroy u* aircraft) (actor " shoots down " actee "!"))
  ((destroy u* ship) (actor " sinks " actee "!"))
  ((destroy u* cities) (actor " flattens " actee "!"))
  ((destroy u* q) (actor " terminates " actee "!"))
  ((destroy u* X) (actor " liquidifies " actee "!"))
  ))

(set event-notices '(
  ((unit-starved ground) (0 "runs out of fuel and disbands"))
  ((unit-starved aircraft) (0 "runs out of fuel and crashes"))
  ((unit-starved u*) (0 "runs out of supplies and is sucked into a wormhole"))
  ))

(set event-narratives '(
  ((unit-starved ground) (0 "ran out of fuel and disbanded"))
  ((unit-starved aircraft) (0 "ran out of fuel and crashed"))
  ((unit-starved u*) (0 "ran out of supplies and was sucked into a wormhole"))
  ))

(set advantage-min 1)
(set advantage-default 1)
(set advantage-max 5)

; This is a totally arbitrary list.  I'd be happy to add your favorite
; linguistic group, tribe or dead civilization if you send me email
; at <al172@yfn.ysu.edu>.
(set side-library '(
  ((noun "Abyssinian") (name "Abyssinia"))
  ((noun "Aryan"))
  ((noun "Ashanti"))
  ((noun "Assyrian") (name "Assyria"))
  ((noun "Aztec"))
  ((noun "Carthaginian") (name "Carthago"))
  ((noun "Celt"))
  ((noun "Dravidian"))
  ((noun "Etruscan"))
  ((noun "Gaul"))
  ((noun "Hittite"))
  ((noun "Hun"))
  ((noun "Inca") (adjective "Incan"))
  ((noun "Iroquois"))
  ((noun "Khmer"))
  ((noun "Manchu"))
  ((noun "Maya") (adjective "Mayan"))
  ((noun "Minoan"))
  ((noun "Mongol"))
  ((noun "Mycenaean") (name "Mycenae"))
  ((noun "Parthian"))
  ((noun "Phoenician"))
  ((noun "Saxon"))
  ((noun "Semite"))
  ((noun "Spartan") (name "Sparta"))
  ((noun "Sumer"))
  ((noun "Viking"))
  ((noun "Visigoth"))
  ((noun "Zulu"))
))

; Henry Ware's cities.nmz                     Last modified 25 January 1994
; I wrote these because I didn't like the collection of small US towns in
; the default names.  They are an eclectic collection of place-names, weird
; allusions & random thoughts.  If you like, you can think of it as my
; Finnegan's Wake.  ;^) I'm sure even the misspellings have Freudian (&
; Jungian!)  connotations.  It must still be considered a work in progress.
; Its been run through a Unix 'sort -df', of course (Joyce was _so_ 19th
; century :^))

(namer unit-names (random
"Abelarde" "Abidjan" "Abruzzi" "Abuja" "Abzu"
"Acropolis" "Adis Abbaba" "Adonis" "Aeneid"
"Agamemnon" "Agrabah" "Aiko Aiko" "Albion"
"Alexandria"  "Allacante" "Allegory" "Alliteration"
"Alma Ata" "Altamoro" "Althea" "Amsterdam"
"Anakara"  "Ancorage" "Angst" "Antietam"
"Antigone" "Appomattox" "Aramis" "Archangel"
"Arimathea" "Armageddon" "Artos" "Asmera"
"Asterlitz" "Aswan" "Athenry" "Athens"
"Atlantis" "Austin" "Avalon" "Avignon"

"Babylon" "Baghdad" "Baku"  "Ballymote"
"Baltimore" "Bangalore" "Bangkok" "Bangore"
"Barbizon" "Bartok" "Bauhaus" "Beijing"
"Belfast"  "Belfry" "Belograd" "Berlin" "Beruit"
"Bethlehem" "Bexley"  "Biafra" "Bimini"
"Blackfriar" "Bogota"  "Bombay"  "Bonn"
"Bordeaux" "Borodino" "Boston"  "Boulder"
"Bowery" "Brandenberg" "Brighton Beach" "Brooklyn"
"Budapest"  "Buenos Aires"  "Buffalo" "Burgandy"
"Bushido" "Bytor" "Byzantium"

"Caer Asseyra"  "Cairo" "Calcutta" "Calgary"
"Caliban" "Caligula" "Cambridge" "Camden"
"Camelot" "Campo Formio" "Canterbury"  "Cape May"
"Caracas"  "Carranza" "Casablanca" "Casanova"
"Cashel" "Cassius" "Cayenne"  "Chartes"
"Chicago"  "China Grove" "Chinatown" "Chronicles"
"Cicero" "Cincinnati"  "Claudius" "Clausewitz"
"Clemenceau" "Cleveland"  "Cognac"  "Coleridge"
"Cologne" "Columbus"  "Commodus" "Concepcion"
"Concord" "Conquistador" "Constantinople"
"Copenhagen" "Cordoba" "Corinth" "Cork"
"Cornucopia" "Corrina" "Corsair" "Crayola"
"Cuzco"

"Daedalus" "Dakar" "Dallas"  "Dar es Salaan"
"Dark Hollow" "Dasharastria" "Datona"  "De Valera"
"Decameron" "Delphi" "Demosthenes" "Denver"
"Des Moins"  "Detroit" "Dharma" "Diamonds"
"Dijon" "Djibouti"  "Dodge"  "Dol Amroth"
"Dominican" "Dominion" "Dresden" "Dublin"
"Duluth"

"East Orange" "Eclipse"  "Edo" "El Norte"
"El Paso" "Ellis Island" "Elysium" "Empire"
"Endor" "Enquiry" "Entebe" "Enterprise" "Ermine"

"Fenario" "Firenze" "Florence" "Fort Fenian"
"Fort Sumter" "Fort William Henry"

"Gadalajara" "Galahad" "Galapogos" "Ganelon"
"Geneva" "Genoa" "Gettysburg" "Gibbon"
"Gibraltar" "God's Crucible" "Gomorrah" "Gonzaga"
"Gorky" "Gotham City" "Greenville" "Greenwich"
"Gremlin" "Guadalcanal" "Guantanamo" "Guido's Razor"

"Hackensack"
"Hades" "Haiku" "Hajar-al-Aswad" "Halifax"
"Hamburg" "Hammurabi" "Hanibal" "Hanoi"
"Harbour Springs" "Harlem" "Hassan-i-Sabbah"
"Hastings" "Hathaway" "Havana" "Havelock"
"Heidelburg" "Hel" "Heloise" "Herraclitus"
"Hiaku" "Hiawatha" "Hiroshima" "Hoboken"
"Hong Kong" "Houston" "Huron" "Hyde Park"
"Hyperborea" "Hyperion"

"Icarus" "Ille de Batz" "Inverness" "Istanbul"
"Izmir"

"Jagannath" "Jakarta" "Java" "Jericho"
"Johannasburg" "Juneau" "Jutland"

"Kabuki" "Kabul" "Kalamazoo" "Kali"
"Kaluha Kona" "Kankakee" "Kanpur" "Karma"
"Katharsis" "Katmando" "Kenosha" "Kiel" "Kiev"
"Kingston" "Kinshasa" "Kirkuk" "Konigsberg"
"Kourian" "Kyoto" "Kyushu"

"La Paz" "Labarynth" "Lagos" "Lakewood"
"Lancaster" "Laurasia" "Left Field" "Leibnitz"
"Leinster" "Lemberg" "Leningrad" "Lexington"
"Lhasa" "Liffey" "Lille" "Lima" "Limbo"
"Limerick" "Lisbon" "Lithopolis" "Little Big Horn"
"Logos" "London" "Lorient" "Los Angeles"
"Lusitania" "L'vov" "Lye" "Lyon"

"Macao" "Machiavelli" "Machinaw" "Madrid"
"Managua" "Manchester" "Mandarin" "Mandrake"
"Manila"  "Mannheim" "Marengo" "Marne"
"Marrachesh" "Marseilles" "Maximillian" "Medellin"
"Merrimac" "Miami" "Milan" "Milwaukee"
"Minerva Park" "Minglewood" "Minsk" "Mogadishu"
"Monitor" "Monrovia" "Mont Saint Michel"
"Monte Cristo" "Monte Video" "Montreal" "Moscow"
"Munich"  "Murmansk" "Mythos"

"Nagasaki" "Nagoya" "Nairobi" "Nantes" "Naples"
"Napoleon" "Naraka" "New Aesop" "New Atlantis"
"New Haven" "New York" "Newark" "Newcastle"
"Nicea" "Nirvanna" "Norfolk"  "Norwich" "Nyack"

"Obetz" "Occam's Razor" "Odessa" "Omar Khayyam"
"Oracle" "Orth" "Oslo"

"Palermo" "Palo Alto" "Pamplona" "Pangaea"
"Paradox" "Paris" "Pataskala" "Pathos"
"Pendragon" "Petovsky" "Phaedra" "Pheonix Park"
"Picadilly" "Pindar Point" "Pisa" "Pittsburgh"
"Plattsburgh" "Pomona" "Port au Prince"
"Port Manteau" "Port Nemo" "Porthos" "Porto Alegre"
"Prauge" "Pretoria" "Princeps" "Pueblo"
"Purgatory"

"Quebec" "Quito"

"Rakshasa" "Rangoon" "Rennes" "Rio de Janeiro"
"Riverrun" "Riyadh" "Roger's Losing" "Roland"
"Rome" "Roscoff"

"Sacramento" "Saginaw" "Saigon" "Saint Malo"
"Saint Petersburg" "Saki" "Salamanca" "Salem"
"Salt Lake" "Sampan" "San Antionio" "San Fransico"
"San Juan" "Sanctuary" "Sandusky" "Sangria"
"Sanity" "Sans Serif" "Santa Cruz" "Santa Fe"
"Santiago" "Santo Domingo" "Sao Paulo" "Saragosa"
"Saratoga" "Sarjevo" "Saskatoon" "Sault Ste. Marie"
"Savannah" "Saxophone" "Seppuku" "Serendipity"
"Sevastopol" "Shadowfax" "Shanghai" "Shangri-La"
"Sherwood" "Shiloh" "Sidney" "Sienna"
"Singapore" "Skagway" "Smyrna" "Sparta"
"Stalingrad" "Steppenburgh" "Sterling" "Stockhom"
"Suez" "Summit" "Sun Zoo" "Sunzi Bingfa"
"Superior" "Syracuse"

"Tabriz" "T'aipei" "Tannenberg" "Tashkent"
"Tbilisi" "Tehran" "Tel Al-Aviv" "Tequila"
"The Aesir" "The Brewery" "The Bronx" "The Hague"
"The Sprawl" "The Vatican" "Thrace" "Thunder Bay"
"Tiblisi" "Timbuktoo"  "Tippecanoe" "Tokyo"
"Toledo" "Toronto" "Trafalgar" "Transvaal"
"Trantor" "Trenton" "Trieste" "Trouble" "Troy"
"Tupelo" "Tupper Lake" "Tuzla"

"Ulan Batar" "Ulysses" "Uno"

"Valencia" "Vancover" "Venice" "Verdi" "Verdun"
"Versailles" "Vichy" "Vicksburg" "Vienna"
"Vladivostok"

"Walhalla" "Wapakoneta" "Ware Shoals"  "Warsaw"
"Washington" "Waterloo" "Wellington" "Westport"
"Wheeling" "Winnipeg" "Wonsan" "Woodstock"
"Worms"

"Xax"

"Yazoo" "Yonkers" "Yorktown" "Ypres"

"Zagreb" "Zenda" "Zhivago" "Zinfandel" "Zymurgy"
))
(add cities namer "unit-names")

(game-module (notes (
  "The basic idea here is that each city represents an era.  Each era has its"
  "own set of units & is, in effect, a miniperiod. One of your original cities"
  "should build the more modern city & the others should build units for"
  "expansion & conquest.  After the new city is completed, your older cities"
  "should be upgraded & the develop city should continue developing.  Any"
  "neutral cities you capture will catch up to your current production level"
  "in a reasonable period of time."
  ""
  "When your country is larger, you should consider adding one or two"
  "additional development cities as a backup so you aren't excessively set back"
  "if you primary development center is captured or destroyed."
  ""
  "Generally more modern things have a significant advantage over older"
  "things, but even very old units can do sentry duty."
  ""
  "Any given unit represents a wide range of actual technologies.  For"
  "example, infantry is every thing from muzzle loading guns to weapons with"
  "50 times the range and exploding (heat seeking?) bullets."
  ""
  "Most of the subperiods have a trick in themselves.  For example, the"
  "Napoleonic era is set up with an i>c>y>i, 'paper-scissors-rock', dynamic."
  "That it is part of a larger period affects the balance: while cavalry might"
  "have an immediate advantage due to its speed, they become outdated more"
  "rapidly than the other two units."
  ""
  "With that said, I should also say that the play balance is not perfect.  It"
  "is still, to a certain extent, a novelty period; but I think it is"
  "reasonably successful on that level."
  ""
  "There should be more notes, but this period needs a book :^)"
  ""
  "Let me recast:  there are no notes because, in simulation of real life,"
  "the interplay of future events is unclear until you experience them..."
 )))

(game-module (design-notes
  "   **** TIME: COMBAT THRU THE AGES ****"
  ""
  "Version 1.0.  This is part of the Ohio Xconq Suite, version 1.0."
  "This was written by Henry Ware.  Victor Mascari helped."
  "Massimo Campostrini helped with beta testing."
  "Thanks also to Jay Scott of the Future Period, to the author of the Greek"
  "Period and to whoever wrote the Napoleonic Period; this period owes alot"
  "to those works."
  ""
  "I *do* like this period, but its not as sound or as neat from a game-"
  "theory standpoint as Nukem, WW1 or the Standard period.  To say nothing of"
  "Galaxy, which is my personal favorite."
  ""
  "If you think it is complicated now, just wait!  I am adding nomad, Roman,"
  "nanotech, pirate, Ancient Egypt/Inca and cyber eras!  (Just kidding.  Really."
  "There is no room for more units anyway. :^)  The only thing I might do is"
  "reintroduce the robowarrior."
  ""
  "This period is way too complicated & way too slow.   (It may be Baroque,"
  "but I am not going to fix it)."
  ""
  "Gratuitous Sun Tzu quote:"
  "\"Which general has the ability?\""
  ""
  "Copywrite 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994 by Henry Ware."
  "My work on this period is distributed under the GNU general public license."
  "There are a few lines authored by Stan Shebs, and may be protected by"
  "his copywrite also."
  ""
  "Converted to xconq 7 with minor modifications"
  "by Massimo Campostrini."
))

* Re: [xconq] My hacked up copy of time.g
                             ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-08-04  1:53           ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-08-04  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry J. Cobb; +Cc: xconq7

Henry J. Cobb wrote:

> My basic changes were to the terran generation, map size, blimp ammo,
> extended production of cav and inf and some fiddling with the combat
> tables.
>
> I'm thinking about allowing cannon to stick around as long as inf with
> fewer HPs but ranged fire and the power of AA batteries.

Where did you get the 'time.g' file that you hacked?

It is apparently an old file (over a month old), given that "/" is being
used as the symbol for bases, instead of "_". It is over a month old,
because, according to the ChangeLog, I last changed it on 2004/06/21 to
make sure that there were no conflict with the GDL arithmetic operators
that I just implemented:

2004-06-21  Eric McDonald

[ snipped ]

         * lib/time.g: Change "*" to "T". Change "/" to "_".
         * lib/wizard.g: Change "*" to "T".

* Re: [xconq] My hacked up copy of time.g
@ 2004-08-05  3:33             ` Henry J. Cobb
       [not found]             ` <6988.68.126.82.218.1091675883.squirrel@webmail.io.com>
From: Henry J. Cobb @ 2004-08-05  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

Eric McDonald pointed me to an updated version of the file so I hacked
that with my unit and combat changes.

There does seem to be a bug with Battleship and Transport initial fuel.

The maximum abuse of the current capture and transport code can be seen
when a ufo with two mechs captures 16 cities a turn.

-HJC

[...]

	(add (M N T @ & U F) tech-max 30)
	(add (M N T @ & U F) tech-to-build 30)
	))
    )
)

[...]

(unit-type T (name "Metropolis") (image-name "city18") (char "*")
[...]

(add cell-t* alt-percentile-max ( 48  50  51  90  90  90  99 100))
(add cell-t* wet-percentile-min (  0   0  20   0  20  70   0   0))
(add cell-t* wet-percentile-max (100 100 100  20  70 100 100 100))

(table terrain-damaged-type
  (plains desert 1)
  (forest desert 1)
  (ice mountains 1)
  )

(set edge-terrain ice)

;DEFINITIONS
; F not in movement definitions.  Cleaner this way.
; Everything is in either movers or places.

(define cities (A M N T @ & U F))	; just devlopers.
(define bases (W _))	; other places
(define places (W _ A M N T @ & U F))	; things that host lots.
(define makers (A M N T @ & U F))
(define ground (x k l c y i a q))
(define aircraft (d f h b z X))
(define pitstops (_ N T @ & U F))	; with gas
(define ship (g s B t C))
(define movers (x g k l s c y i d B t C f a h b z q X))
(define water (sea shallows))
(define land (plains forest desert mountains))

;**************************************************************
(define firstu A)	; <-- CHANGING THIS LINE TO A DIFFERENT CITY
;********************** WILL CHANGE THE STARTING CITY IN THE WHOLE PROGRAM
;			 Is that user-friendly or what?
;
;                       Well, you Tmight* want to change the period name too.

[...]

(add (T s c y i) cp (5 7 6 6 6))
(add (@ d B t) cp (5 8 12 10))
(add (& C f a) cp (5 12 5 6))
(add (U h b) cp (5 6 8))
(add (F z q) cp (5 8 6))
(add X cp 6)
(add (W _) cp (8 10))

(table acp-to-create
  (A (M x g) 1)
  (M (N g k l s) 1)
  (N (T s c y i) 1)
  (T (@ c i d B t) 1)
  (@ (& i B t C f a) 1)
  (& (U i t C f a h b) 1)
  (U (F z q) 1)
  (F (z q X) 4)
  ((x k l) W 2)
  ((c y i a) _ (3 1 2 4))
  )

(table acp-to-build
  (A (M x g) 1)
  (M (N g k l s) 1)
  (N (T s c y i) 1)
  (T (@ c i d B t) 1)
  (@ (& i B t C f a) 1)
  (& (U i t C f a h b) 1)
  (U (F z q) 1)
  (F (z q X) 4)
  ((x k l) W 2)
  ((c y i a) _ (3 1 2 4))
  )

(table cp-per-build
  (A (M x g) 1)
  (M (N g k l s) 1)
  (N (T s c y i) 1)
  (T (@ c i d B t) 1)
  (@ (& i B t C f a) 1)
  (& (U i t C f a h b) 1)
  (U (F z q) 1)
  (F (z q X) 1)
  ((x k l) W 2)
  ((c y i a) _ (3 1 2 4))
  )

(table cp-on-creation
  (A (M x g) 1)
  (M (N k l s) 1)
  (M g 6)
  (N (T c y i) 1)
  (N s 4)
  (T (@ d B t) 1)
  (T i 3)
  (@ (& C f a) 1)
  (@ (i B t) (5 3 3))
  (& (U h b) 1)
  (& (t C f a) (3 4 2 3))
  (U (F z q) 1)
  (F X 1)
  (F (z q) (5 3))
  ((x k l) W (1 4 3))
  ((c y i a) _ (1 1 3 5))
  )

(table hp-to-garrison
  (A M 4)
  (M N 5)
  (N T 6)
  (T @ 7)
  (@ & 8)
  (& U 9)
  (U F 10)
  ((x k l) W 1)
  ((c y i a) _ (2 2 2 3))
  )

(table occupant-can-construct
  (u* u* true)
  )

; development

(add u* tech-per-turn-max 1)

(add (M N T @ & U F) tech-max 15)
(add (M N T @ & U F) tech-to-build 15)

(add l tech-max 1)
(add l tech-to-build 1)

(add X tech-max 2)
(add X tech-to-build 2)

(table tech-per-develop
  (A M 1.00)
  (M (N l) 1.00)
  (N T 1.00)
  (T @ 1.00)
  (@ & 1.00)
  (& U 1.00)
  (U F 1.00)
  (F X 1.00)
)
(table acp-to-develop
  (A M 1)
  (M (N l) 1)
  (N T 1)
  (T @ 1)
  (@ & 1)
  (& U 1)
  (U F 1)
  (F X 1)
  )

(table auto-repair
  ; cities & bases repair older & contemporary units, not newer ones
  (A (x g) 1.00)
  (M (x g k l s) 1.00)
  (N (x g k l s c y i) 1.00)
  (T (x g k l s c y i d B t) 1.00)
  (@ (x g k l s c y i d B t C f a) 1.00)
  (& (x g k l s c y i d B t C f a h b) 1.00)
  (U (x g k l s c y i d B t C f a h b z q) 1.00)
  (F (x g k l s c y i d B t C f a h b z q X) 1.00)
  (W (x g k l s W) 0.33)
  (_ (x g k l s c y i d B t C f a h b _) 0.33)
  (cities cities 0.33)
  (i i 0.50)
  (a a 0.50)
  (q q 0.50)
  (X X 1.00)
  )

(add cities hp-recovery 0.33)
(add bases  hp-recovery 0.33)

;RESOURCES

(table supply-on-completion
  (u* m* 0)
;                   _  N   T   @   &  U F

;                   _   N   T   @   &   U F
  (pitstops fuel (200 100 200 400 600 100 0))
  (pitstops ammo (100  50 100 100 100 100 0))
;               x g k l s c y  i  d   B   t   C  f  a  h  b z q X
  (movers fuel (0 0 0 0 0 0 0 20 75 400 400 400 18 40 12 36 0 0 0))
  (movers ammo (0 0 0 0 0 8 5  6  3  40  50  80  3 12  4  0 0 0 0))
  ((& b U) bombs (50 1 100))
  )

(table base-production
;                   _   N   T   @   &   U   F
[...]

  (t (x k l c y i a h) 8)
  (h i 1)
  (C (h f b z) 3)
  (z q 2)
  (bases u* 10)
  (makers u* 20)
  (U u* 10)
  ((W A M N) aircraft 0)
  ((_ T @ & U) X 0)
  (F X 1)
  (N d 1)
  (ship ship 0)
  (places places 0)
  (A M 1)
  (M N 1)
  (N T 1)
  (T @ 1)
  (@ & 1)
  (& U 1)
  (U F 1)
  )

(add g capacity 3)
(add s capacity 8)
(add t capacity 16)
(add h capacity 2)
(add C capacity 33)
(add z capacity 16)
(add _ capacity 100)
(add W capacity 16)
(add cities capacity 1000)

(table mp-to-enter-unit
  (f u* 9)
  (b u* 6)
  (d u* 5)
  (z u* 12)
  (X u* 8)
  (h u* 4)
  )

[...]

  (c movers (60 40 60 60 35 40 80 20 15 10 20 10  5 20 10 10  3  0  0))
  (y movers (90 90 90 80 60 20 40 80  8 15 25 10 10 25  0  0  0  0  0))
  (i movers (80 70 80 70 35 80 20 40 25  5  5  5  5 20 10 10  3  0  3))
  (d movers (60 60 60 60 40 30 30 30 20 40 40 40  5 15  5  1  1  0  1))
[...]
  (T movers (90 70 70 70 60 50 35 50 40 20 20 10 15 20  5  0  0  0  0))
;              W   _   A   M   N   T   @   &   U   F

;             W  _  A  M  N  T  @  &  U  F
  (x places (40  5 50 20 20 10  5  5  0  0))
  (k places (50 15 70 50 30 12 10 10  1  0))
  (l places (20 10 20 20 20 10 10 10  0  0))
  (c places (80 30 90 60 40 30 30 20 10  0))
  (i places (90 70 90 70 70 70 60 60 20  0))
  (a places (99 90 99 95 95 90 80 80 30  0))
  (h places (20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20  0))
  (q places (99 99 99 95 95 90 90 90 50 30))
  )

(table independent-capture-chance
;             W  _  A  M  N  T  @  &  U  F
  (x places (65 15 75 30 22 15  9  7  2  0))
  (k places (75 40 90 75 50 30 20 14  3  0))
  (l places (45 30 45 45 40 25 15 10  2  0))
  (c places (90 55 95 80 60 50 40 30 15  1))
  (i places (99 85 99 95 90 90 80 70 30  5))
  (a places (99 99 99 99 99 95 90 85 50 10))
  (h places (30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30  1))
[...]

  "   T*** TIME: COMBAT THRU THE AGES T***"
  ""

@ 2004-08-05  5:29               ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-08-05  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry J. Cobb, xconq7

Henry J. Cobb wrote:

> Eric McDonald pointed me to an updated version of the file so I hacked
> that with my unit and combat changes.

If you want to ensure that you always have the latest files, then I
would strongly recommend that you use CVS. There is a text file called
'INSTALL-win.txt' in which I give some pointers on how to go about that
under Windows. Even if you don't intendto compile a fresh copy of Xconq
from sources, you can still use CVS to get updates. Also, see:
http://sources.redhat.com/xconq/cvs.html

> There does seem to be a bug with Battleship and Transport initial fuel.

Details...?  (I'm not going to have a chance to test your changes until
tomorrow.)

> The maximum abuse of the current capture and transport code can be seen
> when a ufo with two mechs captures 16 cities a turn.

If you want to improve aspects of the capture behavior, there are many
things you can do with the existing GDL tables. These things do not
require modifications to the Xconq sources. See the documentation on the
'occupant-allows-capture-by' table and company, and the 'protection' and
related tables.

@ 2004-08-05  5:51                 ` Henry J. Cobb
From: Henry J. Cobb @ 2004-08-05  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric McDonald; +Cc: Henry J. Cobb, xconq7

>> There does seem to be a bug with Battleship and Transport initial fuel.
>
> Details...?  (I'm not going to have a chance to test your changes until
> tomorrow.)

They start out with zero fuel.

--

@ 2004-08-05  7:02                   ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2004-08-05  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry J. Cobb; +Cc: xconq7

>>> There does seem to be a bug with Battleship and Transport initial fuel.
>>
>> Details...?  (I'm not going to have a chance to test your changes until
>> tomorrow.)
>
>They start out with zero fuel.

This bug appeared on June 26 and was fixed on July 3. What binaries are you
using?

Hans

* Re: [xconq] My hacked up copy of time.g
@ 2004-08-05  7:25                     ` Henry J. Cobb
From: Henry J. Cobb @ 2004-08-05  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Ronne; +Cc: Henry J. Cobb, xconq7

http://xconq_hacker.home.comcast.net/ Windows

--

@ 2004-08-05 14:52                       ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2004-08-05 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry J. Cobb; +Cc: xconq7

>>>They start out with zero fuel.
>>
>> This bug appeared on June 26 and was fixed on July 3. What binaries are
>> you
>> using?
>>
>> Hans
>
>http://xconq_hacker.home.comcast.net/ Windows

Those binaries were released on July 4, so it is possible that the fix from
July 3 didn't make it into them. You could tell from the ChangeLog.

In any case, that fix only addressed the possibility of newly created units
to siphon off materials from their creator. If you want units to have their
own initial fuel you must use the supply-on-completion table. In the Time
game, only cities have initial fuel. In many other games, all units start
out with a fuel supply. Perhaps this is how the Time game shoudl work as
well.

Hans

* Re: [xconq] My hacked up copy of time.g
@ 2004-08-05 22:36                         ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-08-05 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Ronne; +Cc: Henry J. Cobb, xconq7

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Hans Ronne wrote:

> Those binaries were released on July 4, so it is possible that the fix from
> July 3 didn't make it into them. You could tell from the ChangeLog.

I do a CVS update prior to building new executables
intended for distribution, and so it would seem unlikely that
earlier changes would not have made it into them. In any case,
they are certainly more up-to-date than the ones on the Xconq FTP
server.

@ 2004-08-06 19:50             ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2004-08-06 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry J. Cobb; +Cc: xconq7

>>the independents also at level-5 running iplayer.  (Why doesn't a saved
>>game remember the independents player?)
>
>It should. However, indepside has its own read and write code for
>historical reasons, so this may well be a bug. I will look into it.

It was indeed a bug in the save/restore code. I have checked in a fix.

Hans