* Upstream PSP support in binutils
@ 2022-10-19 23:18 David Guillen
From: David Guillen @ 2022-10-19 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hello there,

I'm reaching out to know how much interest there'd be to add upstream
support in binutils for the Sony PSP CPU. Before patches are crafted and
tests are written, I'd like to know if this is something that you guys
would consider merging. I'd be doing the work but you would need to help
reviewing and merging it of course :)

The Sony PSP is a device that has a homebrew community (see
github.com/pspdev) behind and that's still alive and kicking. Although the
device is rather easy to support from a toolchain point of view (it's a
MIPS device) it features some special floating point co-processor (VFPU)
that has an interesting and rich instruction set. At the time of writing,
the toolchain is almost a vanilla gcc build (just a couple of patches) and
a rather patched binutils port. Since the VFPU instruction set is mostly
orthogonal to the MIPS instruction set, it was relatively easy to rebase
over the years. A few years ago a rewrite of the MIPS backend in binutils
meant the community was stuck on an older binutils release, which required
a full from scratch rewrite. This is why we think it'd be a great idea to
upstream this code so that it can live on.

Thanks for you time and help!

David