* crosstool-NG Debian packaging
@ 2016-02-10 20:32 Chris Packham
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Chris Packham @ 2016-02-10 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrew, bryanhundven, crossgcc, John Collis

Hi Bryan, Andrew,

I see that there is some movement on packaging crosstool-NG for Debian.
This is relevant to my interests and I have subscribed to your mailing
list :).

Is there an open Debian bug for this? I've found a few older ones but
they all seem to have timed out due to lack of interest.

I'm also interested in the possibility of generating debian packages for
the toolchains themselves.

We're in the process of updating our cross toolchain(s) and being able
to distribute .deb files to our developers is quite attractive. Is
anyone looking at such a capability? If not any pointers?

Thanks,
Chris Packham.

* Re: crosstool-NG Debian packaging
@ 2016-02-10 20:41 ` Bryan Hundven
From: Bryan Hundven @ 2016-02-10 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Packham; +Cc: andrew, crossgcc, John Collis

Chris,

> On Feb 10, 2016, at 12:31 PM, Chris Packham <Chris.Packham@alliedtelesis.co.nz> wrote:
>
> Hi Bryan, Andrew,
>
> I see that there is some movement on packaging crosstool-NG for Debian.
> This is relevant to my interests and I have subscribed to your mailing
> list :).
>
> Is there an open Debian bug for this? I've found a few older ones but
> they all seem to have timed out due to lack of interest.
>
> I'm also interested in the possibility of generating debian packages for
> the toolchains themselves.

I have no interests in adding package manager support in crosstool-NG for produced toolchains.
If you need such support, create a wrapper script that calls crosstool-ng and creates a package.

> We're in the process of updating our cross toolchain(s) and being able
> to distribute .deb files to our developers is quite attractive. Is
> anyone looking at such a capability? If not any pointers?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Packham.

Cheers,

-Bryan

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: crosstool-NG Debian packaging
@ 2016-02-10 20:49   ` Chris Packham
From: Chris Packham @ 2016-02-10 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan Hundven; +Cc: andrew, crossgcc, John Collis

On 02/11/2016 09:41 AM, Bryan Hundven wrote:
> Chris,
>
>> On Feb 10, 2016, at 12:31 PM, Chris Packham <Chris.Packham@alliedtelesis.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bryan, Andrew,
>>
>> I see that there is some movement on packaging crosstool-NG for Debian.
>> This is relevant to my interests and I have subscribed to your mailing
>> list :).
>>
>> Is there an open Debian bug for this? I've found a few older ones but
>> they all seem to have timed out due to lack of interest.
>>
>> I'm also interested in the possibility of generating debian packages for
>> the toolchains themselves.
>
> I have no interests in adding package manager support in crosstool-NG for produced toolchains.
> If you need such support, create a wrapper script that calls crosstool-ng and creates a package.

Yes that was my intention. We'd need to slip in our kernel headers and
libc so it would be custom regardless.

@ 2016-02-10 20:52     ` Bryan Hundven
From: Bryan Hundven @ 2016-02-10 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Packham; +Cc: andrew, crossgcc, John Collis

Chris,

> On Feb 10, 2016, at 12:49 PM, Chris Packham <Chris.Packham@alliedtelesis.co.nz> wrote:
>
> On 02/11/2016 09:41 AM, Bryan Hundven wrote:
>> Chris,
>>
>>> On Feb 10, 2016, at 12:31 PM, Chris Packham <Chris.Packham@alliedtelesis.co.nz> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Bryan, Andrew,
>>>
>>> I see that there is some movement on packaging crosstool-NG for Debian.
>>> This is relevant to my interests and I have subscribed to your mailing
>>> list :).
>>>
>>> Is there an open Debian bug for this? I've found a few older ones but
>>> they all seem to have timed out due to lack of interest.
>>>
>>> I'm also interested in the possibility of generating debian packages for
>>> the toolchains themselves.
>>
>> I have no interests in adding package manager support in crosstool-NG for produced toolchains.
>> If you need such support, create a wrapper script that calls crosstool-ng and creates a package.
>>

> Yes that was my intention. We'd need to slip in our kernel headers and
> libc so it would be custom regardless.

Well, when 1.23 releases, custom location support has been greatly improved.

So really, I would just focus on the creation of the custom package ;)

@ 2016-02-10 21:05       ` Chris Packham
From: Chris Packham @ 2016-02-10 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan Hundven; +Cc: andrew, crossgcc, John Collis

On 02/11/2016 09:53 AM, Bryan Hundven wrote:
> Chris,
>
>> On Feb 10, 2016, at 12:49 PM, Chris Packham <Chris.Packham@alliedtelesis.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>> On 02/11/2016 09:41 AM, Bryan Hundven wrote:
>>> Chris,

>>> I have no interests in adding package manager support in crosstool-NG for produced toolchains.
>>> If you need such support, create a wrapper script that calls crosstool-ng and creates a package.
>>>

>> Yes that was my intention. We'd need to slip in our kernel headers and
>> libc so it would be custom regardless.
>
> Well, when 1.23 releases, custom location support has been greatly improved.
>
> So really, I would just focus on the creation of the custom package ;)

Cool will do.

@ 2016-02-10 21:43 ` andrew
From: andrew @ 2016-02-10 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Packham, bryanhundven, crossgcc, John Collis

10 февраля 2016 г., 23:32, "Chris Packham" <Chris.Packham@alliedtelesis.co.nz> написал:
> Hi Bryan, Andrew,
>
> I see that there is some movement on packaging crosstool-NG for Debian.
> This is relevant to my interests and I have subscribed to your mailing
> list :).
>
> Is there an open Debian bug for this? I've found a few older ones but
> they all seem to have timed out due to lack of interest.

Hi, Chris. Unfortunately, I'm not a debian maintainer and there's no open bug
for that in debian bugtracker. I've done the packaging for my own needs,
since it was waaay faster than opening a bug ;). So unless you know some debian
maintainers crosstool-ng won't land in debian repositories any time soon;)

> I'm also interested in the possibility of generating debian packages for
> the toolchains themselves.
>
> We're in the process of updating our cross toolchain(s) and being able
> to distribute .deb files to our developers is quite attractive. Is
> anyone looking at such a capability? If not any pointers?

I guess the simplest way would be generating a static toolchain tarball and later
writing an independant wrapper that would generate a deb and place everything in
/opt/

> Thanks,
> Chris Packham.

Regards,
Andrew

* Re: crosstool-NG Debian packaging
@ 2016-02-12  4:20 ` Chris Packham
From: Chris Packham @ 2016-02-12  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrew, bryanhundven, crossgcc, John Collis

On 02/11/2016 09:32 AM, Chris Packham wrote:
> Hi Bryan, Andrew,
>
> I see that there is some movement on packaging crosstool-NG for Debian.
> This is relevant to my interests and I have subscribed to your mailing
> list :).
>
> Is there an open Debian bug for this? I've found a few older ones but
> they all seem to have timed out due to lack of interest.
>
> I'm also interested in the possibility of generating debian packages for
> the toolchains themselves.
>
> We're in the process of updating our cross toolchain(s) and being able
> to distribute .deb files to our developers is quite attractive. Is
> anyone looking at such a capability? If not any pointers?

For those that are interested. I've put something together that kind of
works for me

   https://github.com/cpackham/cross-toolchain

I'll need to do some more testing and add the additional configs I need
but it looks promising.

* Re: crosstool-NG Debian packaging
@ 2016-02-12 19:49   ` Bryan Hundven
From: Bryan Hundven @ 2016-02-12 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Packham; +Cc: andrew, crossgcc, John Collis

Chris,

> On Feb 11, 2016, at 8:20 PM, Chris Packham <Chris.Packham@alliedtelesis.co.nz> wrote:
>
> On 02/11/2016 09:32 AM, Chris Packham wrote:
>> Hi Bryan, Andrew,
>>
>> I see that there is some movement on packaging crosstool-NG for Debian.
>> This is relevant to my interests and I have subscribed to your mailing
>> list :).
>>
>> Is there an open Debian bug for this? I've found a few older ones but
>> they all seem to have timed out due to lack of interest.
>>
>> I'm also interested in the possibility of generating debian packages for
>> the toolchains themselves.
>>
>> We're in the process of updating our cross toolchain(s) and being able
>> to distribute .deb files to our developers is quite attractive. Is
>> anyone looking at such a capability? If not any pointers?
>>

> For those that are interested. I've put something together that kind of
> works for me
>
>   https://github.com/cpackham/cross-toolchain
>
> I'll need to do some more testing and add the additional configs I need
> but it looks promising.

Just curious, but are you installing the prefix dir to the root of the build machine?
Just fyi, the cool thing about the toolchain that crosstool-ng produces is relocatable. ;)
(i.e. you can build it in $HOME/x-tools/$CT_TARGET and move it to /opt/$CT_TARGET or where ever you want)

@ 2016-02-14 19:42     ` Chris Packham
From: Chris Packham @ 2016-02-14 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan Hundven; +Cc: andrew, crossgcc, John Collis

On 02/13/2016 08:49 AM, Bryan Hundven wrote:
> Chris,
>
>> On Feb 11, 2016, at 8:20 PM, Chris Packham <Chris.Packham@alliedtelesis.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>> On 02/11/2016 09:32 AM, Chris Packham wrote:
>>> Hi Bryan, Andrew,
>>>
>>> I see that there is some movement on packaging crosstool-NG for Debian.
>>> This is relevant to my interests and I have subscribed to your mailing
>>> list :).
>>>
>>> Is there an open Debian bug for this? I've found a few older ones but
>>> they all seem to have timed out due to lack of interest.
>>>
>>> I'm also interested in the possibility of generating debian packages for
>>> the toolchains themselves.
>>>
>>> We're in the process of updating our cross toolchain(s) and being able
>>> to distribute .deb files to our developers is quite attractive. Is
>>> anyone looking at such a capability? If not any pointers?
>>>

>> For those that are interested. I've put something together that kind of
>> works for me
>>
>>    https://github.com/cpackham/cross-toolchain
>>
>> I'll need to do some more testing and add the additional configs I need
>> but it looks promising.
>
> Just curious, but are you installing the prefix dir to the root of the build machine?
> Just fyi, the cool thing about the toolchain that crosstool-ng produces is relocatable. ;)
> (i.e. you can build it in $HOME/x-tools/$CT_TARGET and move it to /opt/$CT_TARGET or where ever you want)

In our case yes that's exactly what I'm doing. Our builds are done
inside a chroot so it's just easier if everything is in /bin & /usr/bin
(our build system hard-codes a few assumptions that it probably shouldn't).

One problem I have noted with the resultant .debs is that some of the
extra files (e.g in /usr/share) will clash. I don't think we need most
of them so I probably will just end up moving or removing them.

> Cheers,
>
> -Bryan

* Re: crosstool-NG Debian packaging
@ 2016-02-23  3:55   ` Chris Packham
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Chris Packham @ 2016-02-23  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrew, bryanhundven, crossgcc, John Collis

On 02/11/2016 10:43 AM, andrew@ncrmnt.org wrote:
> 10 февраля 2016 г., 23:32, "Chris Packham" <Chris.Packham@alliedtelesis.co.nz> написал:
>> Hi Bryan, Andrew,
>>
>> I see that there is some movement on packaging crosstool-NG for Debian.
>> This is relevant to my interests and I have subscribed to your mailing
>> list :).
>>
>> Is there an open Debian bug for this? I've found a few older ones but
>> they all seem to have timed out due to lack of interest.
>
> Hi, Chris. Unfortunately, I'm not a debian maintainer and there's no open bug
> for that in debian bugtracker. I've done the packaging for my own needs,
> since it was waaay faster than opening a bug ;). So unless you know some debian
> maintainers crosstool-ng won't land in debian repositories any time soon;)

So in a fit of optimism I thought I'd give submission to debian a go.
Based on Andrew's work I've got packaging for the released 1.22.0 with
some patches I need for my own selfish needs.

Andrew are you happy to be listed in the debian/control as the
maintainer or do you want me to put my name in there instead (or should
I put Bryan).

I also notice that the tarball from github[1] has some unfortunate paths
in it, "crosstool-ng-crosstool-ng-1.22.0" which makes packaging it a bit
of a pain (1.21.0 also seems to have the same issue).

Is there any way we can get that fixed? I have re-generated the tarball
locally but if someone were to compare the md5sum of my tarball to the
one from github they might think something malicious was going on.

Thanks,
Chris
--
[1] -
https://github.com/crosstool-ng/crosstool-ng/archive/crosstool-ng-1.22.0.tar.gz

* Re: crosstool-NG Debian packaging
@ 2016-02-23  4:37     ` Bryan Hundven
From: Bryan Hundven @ 2016-02-23  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Packham; +Cc: andrew, crossgcc, John Collis

Chris,

> On Feb 22, 2016, at 7:55 PM, Chris Packham <Chris.Packham@alliedtelesis.co.nz> wrote:
>
> On 02/11/2016 10:43 AM, andrew@ncrmnt.org wrote:
>> 10 февраля 2016 г., 23:32, "Chris Packham" <Chris.Packham@alliedtelesis.co.nz> написал:
>>> Hi Bryan, Andrew,
>>>
>>> I see that there is some movement on packaging crosstool-NG for Debian.
>>> This is relevant to my interests and I have subscribed to your mailing
>>> list :).
>>>
>>> Is there an open Debian bug for this? I've found a few older ones but
>>> they all seem to have timed out due to lack of interest.
>>
>> Hi, Chris. Unfortunately, I'm not a debian maintainer and there's no open bug
>> for that in debian bugtracker. I've done the packaging for my own needs,
>> since it was waaay faster than opening a bug ;). So unless you know some debian
>> maintainers crosstool-ng won't land in debian repositories any time soon;)
>>

> So in a fit of optimism I thought I'd give submission to debian a go.
> Based on Andrew's work I've got packaging for the released 1.22.0 with
> some patches I need for my own selfish needs.
>
> Andrew are you happy to be listed in the debian/control as the
> maintainer or do you want me to put my name in there instead (or should
> I put Bryan).

I would say that Andrew is the one who submitted the debian/ directory. I already maintain the source, and I don’t always use any specific GNU/Linux distribution at any one time. (Although a long time debian user! ;) ) I’d rather keep a un-biased mindset about crosstool-ng, distribution wise, as some of what I work on is not for GNU/Linux at all (*BSD support, Mac OS X support, etc…)

> I also notice that the tarball from github[1] has some unfortunate paths
> in it, "crosstool-ng-crosstool-ng-1.22.0" which makes packaging it a bit
> of a pain (1.21.0 also seems to have the same issue).

You found the problem, you provide a patch. I have a ton of issues on my plate, and rarely still does anyone ever get around to reviewing my changes, even when I ask for it!

@ 2016-02-23  4:40     ` Bryan Hundven
From: Bryan Hundven @ 2016-02-23  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Packham; +Cc: andrew, crossgcc, John Collis

Chris,

> On Feb 22, 2016, at 7:55 PM, Chris Packham <Chris.Packham@alliedtelesis.co.nz> wrote:
>
> On 02/11/2016 10:43 AM, andrew@ncrmnt.org wrote:
>> 10 февраля 2016 г., 23:32, "Chris Packham" <Chris.Packham@alliedtelesis.co.nz> написал:
>>> Hi Bryan, Andrew,
>>>
>>> I see that there is some movement on packaging crosstool-NG for Debian.
>>> This is relevant to my interests and I have subscribed to your mailing
>>> list :).
>>>
>>> Is there an open Debian bug for this? I've found a few older ones but
>>> they all seem to have timed out due to lack of interest.
>>
>> Hi, Chris. Unfortunately, I'm not a debian maintainer and there's no open bug
>> for that in debian bugtracker. I've done the packaging for my own needs,
>> since it was waaay faster than opening a bug ;). So unless you know some debian
>> maintainers crosstool-ng won't land in debian repositories any time soon;)
>>

> So in a fit of optimism I thought I'd give submission to debian a go.
> Based on Andrew's work I've got packaging for the released 1.22.0 with
> some patches I need for my own selfish needs.
>
> Andrew are you happy to be listed in the debian/control as the
> maintainer or do you want me to put my name in there instead (or should
> I put Bryan).
>
> I also notice that the tarball from github[1] has some unfortunate paths
> in it, "crosstool-ng-crosstool-ng-1.22.0" which makes packaging it a bit
> of a pain (1.21.0 also seems to have the same issue).
>
> Is there any way we can get that fixed? I have re-generated the tarball
> locally but if someone were to compare the md5sum of my tarball to the
> one from github they might think something malicious was going on.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
> --
> [1] -
> https://github.com/crosstool-ng/crosstool-ng/archive/crosstool-ng-1.22.0.tar.gz

Also, it is recommended to use the source release here:

http://crosstool-ng.org/download/crosstool-ng/crosstool-ng-1.22.0.tar.bz2

As this version has autoconf ran, and is PGP/GPG signed.
http://crosstool-ng.org/#download_and_usage

@ 2016-02-23 13:05     ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2016-02-23 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Packham; +Cc: andrew, bryanhundven, crossgcc, John Collis

Dear Chris Packham,

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 03:55:07 +0000, Chris Packham wrote:

> I also notice that the tarball from github[1] has some unfortunate paths
> in it, "crosstool-ng-crosstool-ng-1.22.0" which makes packaging it a bit
> of a pain (1.21.0 also seems to have the same issue).

That's because Bryan uses "crosstool-ng-X.Y.Z" as tag names, so when
github generates tarballs of the form <projectname>-<tagname> you get
two times the crosstool-ng part. The tags should be named just X.Y.Z.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* Re: crosstool-NG Debian packaging
@ 2016-02-23 15:41       ` Bryan Hundven
From: Bryan Hundven @ 2016-02-23 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Petazzoni; +Cc: Chris Packham, andrew, crossgcc, John Collis

Thomas,

> On Feb 23, 2016, at 5:05 AM, Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Chris Packham,
>
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 03:55:07 +0000, Chris Packham wrote:
>
>> I also notice that the tarball from github[1] has some unfortunate paths
>> in it, "crosstool-ng-crosstool-ng-1.22.0" which makes packaging it a bit
>> of a pain (1.21.0 also seems to have the same issue).
>
> That's because Bryan uses "crosstool-ng-X.Y.Z" as tag names, so when
> github generates tarballs of the form <projectname>-<tagname> you get
> two times the crosstool-ng part. The tags should be named just X.Y.Z.

Technically, I am following the same convention that Yann E. MORIN did his tags, so ’s/Bryan/Yann/g’, but you are correct.
On the other hand, the archive release that github has does not have bootstrap ran, and is not GPG signed, therefore I recommend getting the archive from the crosstool-ng.org link instead… as I’ve already mentioned.

@ 2016-02-23 21:15       ` Chris Packham
From: Chris Packham @ 2016-02-23 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan Hundven; +Cc: andrew, crossgcc

On 02/23/2016 05:40 PM, Bryan Hundven wrote:
> Chris,
>

>> On Feb 22, 2016, at 7:55 PM, Chris Packham <Chris.Packham@alliedtelesis.co.nz> wrote:

>>> Hi, Chris. Unfortunately, I'm not a debian maintainer and there's no open bug
>>> for that in debian bugtracker. I've done the packaging for my own needs,
>>> since it was waaay faster than opening a bug ;). So unless you know some debian
>>> maintainers crosstool-ng won't land in debian repositories any time soon;)
>>>

>> So in a fit of optimism I thought I'd give submission to debian a go.
>> Based on Andrew's work I've got packaging for the released 1.22.0 with
>> some patches I need for my own selfish needs.
>>
>> Andrew are you happy to be listed in the debian/control as the
>> maintainer or do you want me to put my name in there instead (or should
>> I put Bryan).
>>
>> I also notice that the tarball from github[1] has some unfortunate paths
>> in it, "crosstool-ng-crosstool-ng-1.22.0" which makes packaging it a bit
>> of a pain (1.21.0 also seems to have the same issue).
>>
>> Is there any way we can get that fixed? I have re-generated the tarball
>> locally but if someone were to compare the md5sum of my tarball to the
>> one from github they might think something malicious was going on.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chris
>> --
>> [1] -
>> https://github.com/crosstool-ng/crosstool-ng/archive/crosstool-ng-1.22.0.tar.gz
>
> Also, it is recommended to use the source release here:
>
> http://crosstool-ng.org/download/crosstool-ng/crosstool-ng-1.22.0.tar.bz2
>
> As this version has autoconf ran, and is PGP/GPG signed.
> http://crosstool-ng.org/#download_and_usage

Annoyingly (from a debian packaging point of view) that has a different
issue. It doesn't include the -1.22.0 part in the path. But that fact
that it's signed probably does make it better than either getting it
from github or me re-generating it.

I'll see if I can convince debuild not to complain about the paths.

How do you actually generate the releases? I don't see a "make dist"
target after running ./bootstrap && ./configure. I'm unsure how you
actually tell automake not to include a "dist" target so maybe something
is missing (or it's intentional in which case I'll shut up).

> Cheers,
>
> -Bryan

* Github tags (was Re: crosstool-NG Debian packaging)
@ 2016-02-23 21:26         ` Chris Packham
From: Chris Packham @ 2016-02-23 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan Hundven, Thomas Petazzoni; +Cc: andrew, crossgcc

On 02/24/2016 04:41 AM, Bryan Hundven wrote:
> Thomas,
>
>> On Feb 23, 2016, at 5:05 AM, Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Chris Packham,
>>
>> On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 03:55:07 +0000, Chris Packham wrote:
>>
>>> I also notice that the tarball from github[1] has some unfortunate paths
>>> in it, "crosstool-ng-crosstool-ng-1.22.0" which makes packaging it a bit
>>> of a pain (1.21.0 also seems to have the same issue).
>>
>> That's because Bryan uses "crosstool-ng-X.Y.Z" as tag names, so when
>> github generates tarballs of the form <projectname>-<tagname> you get
>> two times the crosstool-ng part. The tags should be named just X.Y.Z.
>
> Technically, I am following the same convention that Yann E. MORIN did
> his tags, so ’s/Bryan/Yann/g’, but you are correct.
> On the other hand, the archive release that github has does not have
> bootstrap ran, and is not GPG signed, therefore I recommend getting the
> archive from the crosstool-ng.org link instead… as I’ve already mentioned.

I thought there was a way to upload to github for a particular release.
Which effectively overrides the automatic tarballs generated from the
tags. Precisely to allow bootstrapping, signing etc.

A quick read through the github docs yielded
https://developer.github.com/v3/repos/releases/#upload-a-release-asset
but I'm not sure if that's quite way to go about it. I might do a bit
more reading and pass on a few links if I find anything relevant.

Either way it'd mean more work for Bryan which I have absolutely no
right to ask him to take on so just saying official releases are on
crosstool-ng.org is more than sufficient.