public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITA] SDL2 (2.26.2)
@ 2023-01-20 10:35 Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2023-01-20 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I would like to take over the maintenance of libsndfile
package which is currently orphanded. I have already
prepared the updated package at:

https://tyan0.yr32.net/cygwin/x86_64/release/SDL2/

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>

* Re: [ITA] SDL2 (2.26.2)
@ 2023-01-21 14:58 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-01-21 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Yano, cygwin-apps

On 20/01/2023 10:35, Takashi Yano via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> I would like to take over the maintenance of SDL2
> package which is currently orphanded. I have already
> prepared the updated package at:
>
> https://tyan0.yr32.net/cygwin/x86_64/release/SDL2/

You've made some changes in the configuration here (switching from
enabling pulseaudio to oss)

I think you've also dropped the winmm patch.

I don't understand enough to evaluate the correctness those changes, so
it would be nice if you could explain that to me.

* Re: [ITA] SDL2 (2.26.2)
@ 2023-01-21 22:07   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-01-21 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2023-01-21 07:58, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 20/01/2023 10:35, Takashi Yano via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> I would like to take over the maintenance of SDL2
>> package which is currently orphanded. I have already
>> prepared the updated package at:
>>
>> https://tyan0.yr32.net/cygwin/x86_64/release/SDL2/
>
> You've made some changes in the configuration here (switching from enabling
> pulseaudio to oss)

Not sure if many apps now support OSS (and no library or apps obvious on Cygwin)
vs ALSA (also supported by PulseAudio), and on Linux they seem to be adding
PipeWire.

Pulseaudio support is available and required on Cygwin:

$ cygcheck-dep -qcSn libpulse{,-simple}0
  libpulse0: is needed for ( audacious-plugins empathy gnome-control-center
gnome-flashback gnome-settings-daemon gstreamer1.0-plugins-good kde-runtime kmix
kwave libao4 libespeak1 libfreerdp1.0 libfreerdp2_2 libgvnc1.0_0 libmatemixer0
libpulse-devel libpulse-mainloop-glib0 libpulse-simple0 libQt5Multimedia5
libspice-client-glib2.0_8 lxqt-panel mpd mpg123-pulse openmpt123 paman pamixer
paprefs pasystray pavucontrol pavumeter plasma-desktop plasma-pa pulseaudio
pulseaudio-equalizer pulseaudio-esound-compat pulseaudio-module-gconf
pulseaudio-module-x11 pulseaudio-module-zeroconf pulseaudio-utils qmmp sidplayfp
sox-fmt-pulseaudio speech-dispatcher xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin xmp )
  libpulse-simple0: is needed for ( libao4 libespeak1 libfluidsynth1
libgvnc1.0_0 libmikmod3 libpulse-devel mpg123-pulse openmpt123 qmmp sidplayfp
sox-fmt-pulseaudio speech-dispatcher xmp )

> I think you've also dropped the winmm patch.

Under Windows, it is critical that MM timer period/resolution be determined,
saved, increased, and restored correctly, to avoid affecting other multimedia
drivers, apps, and timing services, which may have changed the MM timer
period/resolution.
[NTP ntpd under Windows handles common NMEA and binary serial GPS units with DCD
PPS (operates as well as under Linux with LinuxPPS) to maintain system timing
within a few microseconds (RMS ~ 500ns) offset from UTC.]

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis			Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte			Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter	not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer	but when there is no more to cut
			-- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: [ITA] SDL2 (2.26.2)
@ 2023-01-22 12:05   ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2023-01-22 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Sat, 21 Jan 2023 14:58:55 +0000
Jon Turney wrote:
> You've made some changes in the configuration here (switching from
> enabling pulseaudio to oss)
>
> I think you've also dropped the winmm patch.
>
> I don't understand enough to evaluate the correctness those changes, so
> it would be nice if you could explain that to me.

Thanks for reviewing. The reason why I turnd off pulseaudio
is that the latency was unacceptably large, despite the fact
that pulseaudio is preferred over other sound drivers.
Due to this, ffplay missynchronized sound with video.

Also, I guess OSS was previously disabled because it does not
work as expected due to a bug of cygwin:
https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-patches/2023q1/012134.html
and winmm was enabled instead.

Now, the bug has been fixed and SDL2 gets working with OSS.
Therefore, we don't need winmm support anymore. I think
it is better not to call winmm directly from cygwin apps.

BTW, I tried to modify SDL2 code to minimize the latency of
pulseaudio and it succeeded. So, I re-enabled the pulseaudio
and updated the package.

Could you please review the package again?

--

@ 2023-01-28 16:24     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-01-28 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Yano, cygwin-apps

On 22/01/2023 12:05, Takashi Yano via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jan 2023 14:58:55 +0000
> Jon Turney wrote:
>> You've made some changes in the configuration here (switching from
>> enabling pulseaudio to oss)
>>
>> I think you've also dropped the winmm patch.
>>
>> I don't understand enough to evaluate the correctness those changes, so
>> it would be nice if you could explain that to me.
>
> Thanks for reviewing. The reason why I turnd off pulseaudio
> is that the latency was unacceptably large, despite the fact
> that pulseaudio is preferred over other sound drivers.
> Due to this, ffplay missynchronized sound with video.
>
> Also, I guess OSS was previously disabled because it does not
> work as expected due to a bug of cygwin:
> https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-patches/2023q1/012134.html
> and winmm was enabled instead.
>
> Now, the bug has been fixed and SDL2 gets working with OSS.
> Therefore, we don't need winmm support anymore. I think
> it is better not to call winmm directly from cygwin apps.
>
> BTW, I tried to modify SDL2 code to minimize the latency of
> pulseaudio and it succeeded. So, I re-enabled the pulseaudio
> and updated the package.
>
> Could you please review the package again?

Thanks for this explanation, it all makes sense now.

Please go ahead.

* Re: [ITA] SDL2 (2.26.2)
@ 2023-02-09 13:10       ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2023-02-09 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)