public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITP] rsync 3.2.6
@ 2022-10-06  1:29 Chad Dougherty
From: Chad Dougherty @ 2022-10-06  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hello all,

I've been using cygwin for a long time but this is my first attempt at
this process so please be gentle :)

I noticed that the current rsync package (3.2.3+20200903+git9f9240b-4)
is trailing on security updates and also still using the g-b-s method.
I pinged the listed maintainer directly last week asking if they were
planning to do any updates but have not heard back.  I hope this was not
a faux pas as I didn't read until later that it's best to raise the
issue on the list first.

I've attempted to update the port here:
https://github.com/crd477/cygports/tree/main/rsync

The package files were built by doing:
cygport rsync.cygport prep compile test install package-test

cygport test reported the following:
/home/crd/rsync-3.2.6-1.x86_64/src/rsync-3.2.6/runtests.sh running in
/home/crd/rsync-3.2.6-1.x86_64/build
     rsync_bin=/home/crd/rsync-3.2.6-1.x86_64/build/rsync.exe
     srcdir=/home/crd/rsync-3.2.6-1.x86_64/src/rsync-3.2.6
     TLS_ARGS= -l -L
     testuser=crd
     os=CYGWIN_NT-10.0-22000 x13 3.3.6-341.x86_64 2022-09-05 11:15 UTC
x86_64 Cygwin
     preserve_scratch=no
     scratchbase=/home/crd/rsync-3.2.6-1.x86_64/build/testtmp
PASS    00-hello
SKIP    acls-default (Your filesystem has ACLs disabled)
SKIP    acls (Your filesystem has ACLs disabled)
PASS    alt-dest
PASS    atimes
PASS    backup
PASS    batch-mode
PASS    chgrp
PASS    chmod-option
SKIP    chmod-temp-dir (Can't find a tmp dir on a different file system)
PASS    chmod
SKIP    chown-fake (Can't chown (probably need root))
SKIP    chown (Can't chown (probably need root))
PASS    crtimes
PASS    daemon-gzip-download
PASS    daemon-gzip-upload
PASS    daemon
PASS    delay-updates
PASS    delete
SKIP    devices-fake (Can't create char device node)
SKIP    devices (Rsync needs root/fakeroot for device tests)
SKIP    dir-sgid (The default ACL mode interferes with this test)
PASS    duplicates
PASS    exclude
PASS    executability
PASS    files-from
PASS    fuzzy
PASS    hands
PASS    hardlinks
PASS    itemize
PASS    longdir
PASS    merge
PASS    missing
PASS    mkpath
SKIP    protected-regular (Can't find protected_regular setting (only
available on Linux))
PASS    relative
PASS    ssh-basic
PASS    symlink-ignore
PASS    trimslash
PASS    unsafe-byname
PASS    unsafe-links
PASS    wildmatch
SKIP    xattrs-hlink (Unable to set an xattr)
SKIP    xattrs (Unable to set an xattr)
----- overall results:
       33 passed
       11 skipped
overall result is 0

Here is the reported feature comparison between the existing and updated
packages.  This is one area where some things might need to be fixed
with the update.
Existing pacakge:
$ rsync --version
rsync  version 3.2.4dev  protocol version 31
Copyright (C) 1996-2020 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
Web site: https://rsync.samba.org/
Capabilities:
     64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 64-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
     socketpairs, hardlinks, no hardlink-specials, symlinks, IPv6, atimes,
     batchfiles, inplace, append, ACLs, xattrs, optional protect-args,
iconv,
     symtimes, prealloc, stop-at, no crtimes
Optimizations:
     no SIMD, asm, openssl-crypto
Checksum list:
     xxh128 xxh3 xxh64 (xxhash) md5 md4 none
Compress list:
     zstd lz4 zlibx zlib none

rsync comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  See the GNU
General Public Licence for details.

Updated package:
$ rsync --version
rsync  version 3.2.6  protocol version 31
Copyright (C) 1996-2022 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
Web site: https://rsync.samba.org/
Capabilities:
     64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 64-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
     socketpairs, symlinks, symtimes, hardlinks, no hardlink-specials,
     hardlink-symlinks, IPv6, atimes, batchfiles, inplace, append, ACLs,
     xattrs, optional secluded-args, no iconv, prealloc, stop-at, crtimes
Optimizations:
     no SIMD-roll, no asm-roll, openssl-crypto, no asm-MD5
Checksum list:
     xxh128 xxh3 xxh64 (xxhash) md5 md4 none
Compress list:
     zstd lz4 zlibx zlib none

rsync comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  See the GNU
General Public Licence for details.

This package also seemed to work OK with some casual real testing.

Thanks in advance.

--
     -Chad