public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITP] rsync 3.2.6
@ 2022-10-06  1:29 Chad Dougherty
From: Chad Dougherty @ 2022-10-06  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hello all,

I've been using cygwin for a long time but this is my first attempt at
this process so please be gentle :)

I noticed that the current rsync package (3.2.3+20200903+git9f9240b-4)
is trailing on security updates and also still using the g-b-s method.
I pinged the listed maintainer directly last week asking if they were
planning to do any updates but have not heard back.  I hope this was not
a faux pas as I didn't read until later that it's best to raise the
issue on the list first.

I've attempted to update the port here:
https://github.com/crd477/cygports/tree/main/rsync

The package files were built by doing:
cygport rsync.cygport prep compile test install package-test

cygport test reported the following:
/home/crd/rsync-3.2.6-1.x86_64/src/rsync-3.2.6/runtests.sh running in
/home/crd/rsync-3.2.6-1.x86_64/build
     rsync_bin=/home/crd/rsync-3.2.6-1.x86_64/build/rsync.exe
     srcdir=/home/crd/rsync-3.2.6-1.x86_64/src/rsync-3.2.6
     TLS_ARGS= -l -L
     testuser=crd
     os=CYGWIN_NT-10.0-22000 x13 3.3.6-341.x86_64 2022-09-05 11:15 UTC
x86_64 Cygwin
     preserve_scratch=no
     scratchbase=/home/crd/rsync-3.2.6-1.x86_64/build/testtmp
PASS    00-hello
SKIP    acls-default (Your filesystem has ACLs disabled)
SKIP    acls (Your filesystem has ACLs disabled)
PASS    alt-dest
PASS    atimes
PASS    backup
PASS    batch-mode
PASS    chgrp
PASS    chmod-option
SKIP    chmod-temp-dir (Can't find a tmp dir on a different file system)
PASS    chmod
SKIP    chown-fake (Can't chown (probably need root))
SKIP    chown (Can't chown (probably need root))
PASS    crtimes
PASS    daemon-gzip-download
PASS    daemon-gzip-upload
PASS    daemon
PASS    delay-updates
PASS    delete
SKIP    devices-fake (Can't create char device node)
SKIP    devices (Rsync needs root/fakeroot for device tests)
SKIP    dir-sgid (The default ACL mode interferes with this test)
PASS    duplicates
PASS    exclude
PASS    executability
PASS    files-from
PASS    fuzzy
PASS    hands
PASS    hardlinks
PASS    itemize
PASS    longdir
PASS    merge
PASS    missing
PASS    mkpath
SKIP    protected-regular (Can't find protected_regular setting (only
available on Linux))
PASS    relative
PASS    ssh-basic
PASS    symlink-ignore
PASS    trimslash
PASS    unsafe-byname
PASS    unsafe-links
PASS    wildmatch
SKIP    xattrs-hlink (Unable to set an xattr)
SKIP    xattrs (Unable to set an xattr)
----- overall results:
       33 passed
       11 skipped
overall result is 0

Here is the reported feature comparison between the existing and updated
packages.  This is one area where some things might need to be fixed
with the update.
Existing pacakge:
$ rsync --version
rsync  version 3.2.4dev  protocol version 31
Copyright (C) 1996-2020 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
Web site: https://rsync.samba.org/
Capabilities:
     64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 64-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
     socketpairs, hardlinks, no hardlink-specials, symlinks, IPv6, atimes,
     batchfiles, inplace, append, ACLs, xattrs, optional protect-args,
iconv,
     symtimes, prealloc, stop-at, no crtimes
Optimizations:
     no SIMD, asm, openssl-crypto
Checksum list:
     xxh128 xxh3 xxh64 (xxhash) md5 md4 none
Compress list:
     zstd lz4 zlibx zlib none

rsync comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  See the GNU
General Public Licence for details.

Updated package:
$ rsync --version
rsync  version 3.2.6  protocol version 31
Copyright (C) 1996-2022 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
Web site: https://rsync.samba.org/
Capabilities:
     64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 64-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
     socketpairs, symlinks, symtimes, hardlinks, no hardlink-specials,
     hardlink-symlinks, IPv6, atimes, batchfiles, inplace, append, ACLs,
     xattrs, optional secluded-args, no iconv, prealloc, stop-at, crtimes
Optimizations:
     no SIMD-roll, no asm-roll, openssl-crypto, no asm-MD5
Checksum list:
     xxh128 xxh3 xxh64 (xxhash) md5 md4 none
Compress list:
     zstd lz4 zlibx zlib none

rsync comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  See the GNU
General Public Licence for details.

This package also seemed to work OK with some casual real testing.

Thanks in advance.

--
     -Chad

* Re: [ITP] rsync 3.2.6
@ 2022-10-06 17:24 ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2022-10-06 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Wed, Oct 05, 2022 at 09:29:08PM -0400, Chad Dougherty wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've been using cygwin for a long time but this is my first attempt at this
> process so please be gentle :)
>
> I noticed that the current rsync package (3.2.3+20200903+git9f9240b-4) is
> trailing on security updates and also still using the g-b-s method. I pinged
> the listed maintainer directly last week asking if they were planning to do
> any updates but have not heard back.  I hope this was not a faux pas as I
> didn't read until later that it's best to raise the issue on the list first.

Definitely a faux pas, but it's done now.  I definitely made my fair
share of errors of etiquette when I first tried packaging things, so I
don't think it's worth worrying too much over.

Jari isn't very active on the lists these days, but I think he is still
active, so he might want to weigh in.

> I've attempted to update the port here:
> https://github.com/crd477/cygports/tree/main/rsync
>
> The package files were built by doing:
> cygport rsync.cygport prep compile test install package-test
>
> cygport test reported the following:
> <snip>
>
> Here is the reported feature comparison between the existing and updated
> packages.  This is one area where some things might need to be fixed with
> the update.
> Existing pacakge:
> $ rsync --version
> rsync  version 3.2.4dev  protocol version 31
> Copyright (C) 1996-2020 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
> Web site: https://rsync.samba.org/
> Capabilities:
>     64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 64-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
>     socketpairs, hardlinks, no hardlink-specials, symlinks, IPv6, atimes,
>     batchfiles, inplace, append, ACLs, xattrs, optional protect-args, iconv,
>     symtimes, prealloc, stop-at, no crtimes
> Optimizations:
>     no SIMD, asm, openssl-crypto
> Checksum list:
>     xxh128 xxh3 xxh64 (xxhash) md5 md4 none
> Compress list:
>     zstd lz4 zlibx zlib none
>
> rsync comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
> are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  See the GNU
> General Public Licence for details.
>
> Updated package:
> $ rsync --version
> rsync  version 3.2.6  protocol version 31
> Copyright (C) 1996-2022 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
> Web site: https://rsync.samba.org/
> Capabilities:
>     64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 64-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
>     socketpairs, symlinks, symtimes, hardlinks, no hardlink-specials,
>     hardlink-symlinks, IPv6, atimes, batchfiles, inplace, append, ACLs,
>     xattrs, optional secluded-args, no iconv, prealloc, stop-at, crtimes
> Optimizations:
>     no SIMD-roll, no asm-roll, openssl-crypto, no asm-MD5
> Checksum list:
>     xxh128 xxh3 xxh64 (xxhash) md5 md4 none
> Compress list:
>     zstd lz4 zlibx zlib none
>
> rsync comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
> are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  See the GNU
> General Public Licence for details.

"no iconv" concerns me; I'm not desperately familiar with how iconv
works, but I believe that'll potentially cause issues for rsync users
who aren't using ASCII.  I'd guess the issue is your build environment
is missing a relevant build-time dependency, probably libiconv or
libiconv-devel.

Otherwise this looks good to my relatively inexpert eyes, and I'd
definitely be grateful for this package getting an update!  I think we
need to give Jari a chance to respond on-list, and see what the folks
who have actual authority around maintainership and non-maintainer
uploads say.

Adam

* Re: [ITP] rsync 3.2.6
@ 2022-10-06 18:20   ` Chad Dougherty
From: Chad Dougherty @ 2022-10-06 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2022-10-06 13:24, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> "no iconv" concerns me; I'm not desperately familiar with how iconv
> works, but I believe that'll potentially cause issues for rsync users
> who aren't using ASCII.  I'd guess the issue is your build environment
> is missing a relevant build-time dependency, probably libiconv or
> libiconv-devel.

Yeah, come to think of it that one also stuck out to me after I sent the
mail.  I've updated my cygport and associated artifacts to include those
dependencies:
https://github.com/crd477/cygports/tree/main/rsync

Here's an update diff of the features and capabilities, reformatted and
sorted for easier comparison:
crd@x13:~/src/cygports/rsync$ diff -b old.txt new.txt
1,2c1,2
< rsync  version 3.2.4dev  protocol version 31
< Copyright (C) 1996-2020 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
---
 > rsync  version 3.2.6  protocol version 31
 > Copyright (C) 1996-2022 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
13a14,15
 >  crtimes
 >  hardlink-symlinks
17d18
<  no crtimes
19c20
<  optional protect-args
---
 >  optional secluded-args
27,28c28,30
<  no SIMD
<  asm
---
 >  no SIMD-roll
 >  no asm-MD5
 >  no asm-roll

I think the diffs after "19c20" above should be safe to ignore as the
release notes explain them:
" - Renamed configure's `--enable-simd` option to `--enable-roll-simd`
and added
    the option `--enable-roll-asm` to use the new asm version of the
code.  Both
    are x86_64/amd64 only.

  - Renamed configure's `--enable-asm` option to `--enable-md5-asm` to avoid
    confusion with the asm option for the rolling checksum.  It is also
honored
    even when openssl crypto is in use.  This allows: normal MD4 & MD5,
normal
    MD4 + asm MD5, openssl MD4 & MD5, or openssl MD4 + asm MD5 depending
on the
    configure options selected.

  - Made SIMD & asm configure checks default to "no" on non-Linux hosts
due to
    various reports of problems on NetBSD & macOS hosts.  These were also
    tweaked to allow enabling the feature on a host_cpu of amd64 (was only
    allowed on x86_64 before)."

Thanks...

--
     -Chad

* Re: [ITP] rsync 3.2.6
@ 2022-10-06 20:01   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2022-10-06 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps; +Cc: Jari Aalto

On 10/6/2022 1:24 PM, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> Jari isn't very active on the lists these days, but I think he is still
> active, so he might want to weigh in.

I'm not sure Jari is subscribed to this list.  I've added him to the CC.

Ken

* Re: [ITP] rsync 3.2.6
@ 2022-10-09 14:23 ` Jon Turney
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-10-09 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chad Dougherty, cygwin-apps, Jari Aalto

On 06/10/2022 02:29, Chad Dougherty wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've been using cygwin for a long time but this is my first attempt at
> this process so please be gentle :)
>
> I noticed that the current rsync package (3.2.3+20200903+git9f9240b-4)
> is trailing on security updates and also still using the g-b-s method. I
> pinged the listed maintainer directly last week asking if they were
> planning to do any updates but have not heard back.  I hope this was not
> a faux pas as I didn't read until later that it's best to raise the
> issue on the list first.
>
> I've attempted to update the port here:
> https://github.com/crd477/cygports/tree/main/rsync

[...]
> This package also seemed to work OK with some casual real testing.

Thanks for looking into updating this.  I'd like to give the existing
maintainer first refusal, though.

Comments on this cygport:

> REQUIRES="libiconv2 libssl1.1 libxxhash0 libzstd1 liblz4_1"

You don't (and in fact, shouldn't, because you then need to remember to
manually update them e.g. when soversions change) list here packages
that cygport can automatically detect as dependencies.

> # Enable this function for releases that work without autoreconf
> src_compile()

You should only override the default src_compile if it doesn't work.

The fact that autoreconf isn't apparently necessary, doesn't mean it
should be omitted, since that means that future fixes to the
autoconfiguration machinery aren't automatically incorporated into the
package, but will only appear when upstream updates the autotools used
to generate the distributed autoconfiguration files.

(I think this topic is touched upon in the cygport reference manual in
the section on cygautoreconf, but perhaps that could be clearer)

Comparing the contents of the packages this produced with the current
package, there are various /usr/share/doc/rsync/*.{html,txt} files which
are no longer packaged.  Is this intentional?

* Re: [ITP] rsync 3.2.6
@ 2022-10-09 21:18   ` Brian Inglis
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Brian Inglis @ 2022-10-09 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps; +Cc: crd

On 2022-10-09 14:23 UTC, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 06/10/2022 02:29, Chad Dougherty wrote:
>> I've been using cygwin for a long time but this is my first attempt at
>> this process so please be gentle :)
>> I noticed that the current rsync package (3.2.3+20200903+git9f9240b-4)
>> is trailing on security updates and also still using the g-b-s method. I
>> pinged the listed maintainer directly last week asking if they were
>> planning to do any updates but have not heard back.  I hope this was not
>> a faux pas as I didn't read until later that it's best to raise the
>> issue on the list first.
>> I've attempted to update the port here:
>> https://github.com/crd477/cygports/tree/main/rsync
>> This package also seemed to work OK with some casual real testing.

> Thanks for looking into updating this.  I'd like to give the existing
> maintainer first refusal, though.
> Comments on this cygport:

>> REQUIRES="libiconv2 libssl1.1 libxxhash0 libzstd1 liblz4_1"

> You don't (and in fact, shouldn't, because you then need to remember to
> manually update them e.g. when soversions change) list here packages
> that cygport can automatically detect as dependencies.

>> # Enable this function for releases that work without autoreconf
>> src_compile()

> You should only override the default src_compile if it doesn't work.
> The fact that autoreconf isn't apparently necessary, doesn't mean it
> should be omitted, since that means that future fixes to the
> autoconfiguration machinery aren't automatically incorporated into the
> package, but will only appear when upstream updates the autotools used
> to generate the distributed autoconfiguration files.
> (I think this topic is touched upon in the cygport reference manual in
> the section on cygautoreconf, but perhaps that could be clearer)
> Comparing the contents of the packages this produced with the current
> package, there are various /usr/share/doc/rsync/*.{html,txt} files which
> are no longer packaged.  Is this intentional?

I've found a good way to discover optional dependencies not mentioned in the
package docs as build prereqs is to look in the configure generated in the build
src dir:

	PKG-VER.ARCH/src/PKG-VER/configure

for the options under:

"Optional Features:
   --disable-FEATURE       do not include FEATURE (same as --enable-FEATURE=no)
   --enable-FEATURE[=ARG]  include FEATURE [ARG=yes]

Optional Packages:
   --with-PACKAGE[=ARG]    use PACKAGE [ARG=yes]
   --without-PACKAGE       do not use PACKAGE (same as --with-PACKAGE=no)
   ..."

and if you see features or package that mention something like a package name,
see if you can find a related -devel package e.g. if you see curses, look for:

$ cygcheck -p 'curses.*-devel'
Found 7 matches for curses.*-devel
libncurses-devel-6.0-11.20170617 - libncurses-devel: Terminal display library
libncurses-devel-6.0-12.20171125 - libncurses-devel: Terminal display library
libncurses-devel-6.1-1.20190727 - libncurses-devel: Terminal display library
libncurses-devel-6.3-1.20220416 - libncurses-devel: Terminal display library
libncursesw-devel-6.0-11.20170617 - libncursesw-devel: Obsoleted by libncurses-devel
libncursesw-devel-6.0-12.20171125 - libncursesw-devel: Obsoleted by libncurses-devel
libncursesw-devel-6.1-1.20190727 - libncursesw-devel: Obsoleted by libncurses-devel

add that package name in a (was DEPEND in old cygports) now:

	BUILD_REQUIRES="libncurses-devel ..."
	BUILD_REQUIRES+=" ..."

list in the cygport, which ensures that any dependencies not required by cygport
(similar to build-essential on other distros) will be installed when you test
your builds under the Scallywag CI.

Also look in the config and compile logs for other package names and executables
checked for during the config, shown under config options or variables, or in
the build logs.

You can also look in other distros for the package spec or build rules e.g.

	https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/rsync/blob/rawhide/f/rsync.spec

and try to map their build requirements to Cygwin's.

--
La perfection est atteinte			Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter	not when there is no more to add

* Re: [ITP] rsync 3.2.6
@ 2022-10-10  0:28   ` Chad Dougherty
From: Chad Dougherty @ 2022-10-10  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Turney, cygwin-apps, Jari Aalto

On 2022-10-09 10:23, Jon Turney wrote:
 > Thanks for looking into updating this.  I'd like to give the existing
 > maintainer first refusal, though.

Absolutely.  It's totally OK with me if Jari would rather still maintain
this.  I just figured I'd try my hand at the process in the meantime,
particularly since it was using the old build method.

> Comments on this cygport:
>
>> REQUIRES="libiconv2 libssl1.1 libxxhash0 libzstd1 liblz4_1"
>
> You don't (and in fact, shouldn't, because you then need to remember to
> manually update them e.g. when soversions change) list here packages
> that cygport can automatically detect as dependencies.

I see, thanks.  Fixed in my working repo here:
https://github.com/crd477/cygports/tree/main/rsync

>> # Enable this function for releases that work without autoreconf
>> src_compile()
>
> You should only override the default src_compile if it doesn't work.
>
> The fact that autoreconf isn't apparently necessary, doesn't mean it
> should be omitted, since that means that future fixes to the
> autoconfiguration machinery aren't automatically incorporated into the
> package, but will only appear when upstream updates the autotools used
> to generate the distributed autoconfiguration files.

I see.

I tried but the default src_compile() didn't work.  According to the
INSTALL file, the autoconf should only be done on a git checkout, not
the release tarball.

The specific comment in the cygport file was actually a holdover from
one I was using as an example so I've clarified it.

> (I think this topic is touched upon in the cygport reference manual in
> the section on cygautoreconf, but perhaps that could be clearer)

I actually hadn't read that section yet.  The warning in the reference
manual is pretty clear now that I see it though.  Might it be a good
idea to issue a warning diagnostic at src_compile time if cygautoreconf
is skipped but it looks like the source code should be able to handle it?

> Comparing the contents of the packages this produced with the current
> package, there are various /usr/share/doc/rsync/*.{html,txt} files which
> are no longer packaged.  Is this intentional?

It was not really intentional.  The only reason they were left out is
that they weren't part of the default install rule.
I've also addressed this in the working repo mentioned above.

Thanks for taking the time to review this.  I really appreciate it.
rsync is an important tool so I'm a little anxious about screwing it up
for some other user of the package.

--
     -Chad

* Re: [ITP] rsync 3.2.6
@ 2022-10-10  7:15     ` ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2022-10-10  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Chad Dougherty writes:
> I tried but the default src_compile() didn't work.  According to the
> INSTALL file, the autoconf should only be done on a git checkout, not
> the release tarball.

You should duly ignore any such upstream nonsense and do a full
autoreconf on anything you build for Cygwin anyway.  You might have to
remove some generated files first (see DISTCLEANFILES).  You can't
assume that upstream has used an autoconf new enough to treat Cygwin
specific stuff correctly.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: [ITP] rsync 3.2.6
@ 2022-10-26  0:44   ` Chad Dougherty
From: Chad Dougherty @ 2022-10-26  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Turney, cygwin-apps, Jari Aalto

On 2022-10-09 10:23, Jon Turney wrote:
> Thanks for looking into updating this.  I'd like to give the existing
> maintainer first refusal, though.

Any new thoughts on this?

There was a new upstream release, rsync-3.2.7, and I've updated my
cygport and its associated artifacts:
https://github.com/crd477/cygports/tree/main/rsync

>> # Enable this function for releases that work without autoreconf
>> src_compile()
>
> You should only override the default src_compile if it doesn't work.
>
> The fact that autoreconf isn't apparently necessary, doesn't mean it
> should be omitted, since that means that future fixes to the
> autoconfiguration machinery aren't automatically incorporated into the
> package, but will only appear when upstream updates the autotools used
> to generate the distributed autoconfiguration files.

OK, got it.  My current cygport no longer skips the cygautoreconf step.

Thanks...

--
     -Chad

* Re: [ITP] rsync 3.2.6
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-12-02 15:07   ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-12-02 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, Jari Aalto, Chad Dougherty

On 09/10/2022 15:23, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 06/10/2022 02:29, Chad Dougherty wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I've been using cygwin for a long time but this is my first attempt at
>> this process so please be gentle :)
>>
>> I noticed that the current rsync package (3.2.3+20200903+git9f9240b-4)
>> is trailing on security updates and also still using the g-b-s method.
>> I pinged the listed maintainer directly last week asking if they were
>> planning to do any updates but have not heard back.  I hope this was
>> not a faux pas as I didn't read until later that it's best to raise
>> the issue on the list first.
>>
>> I've attempted to update the port here:
>> https://github.com/crd477/cygports/tree/main/rsync
>>
> [...]
>> This package also seemed to work OK with some casual real testing.
>>

> Thanks for looking into updating this.  I'd like to give the existing
> maintainer first refusal, though.

No response from Jari, 8 weeks have elapsed, so I've given
maintainership to Chad.

Jari,

Hope you are ok.  Please let me know if this isn't what you wanted.