public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* cmus
@ 2021-10-22 13:06 Federico Kircheis
From: Federico Kircheis @ 2021-10-22 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hello to everyone,

I'm interested in becoming a package maintainer for the program cmus.

Homepage of the project is:

   https://cmus.github.io/

Current release can be downloaded from

   https://github.com/cmus/cmus/releases/tag/v2.9.1

It would be a new package for the cygwin distribution, but it is already
distributed on different systems, like Arch, Debian, Fedora, openSUSE,
Gentoo and many others.

More information can be found here:

  * https://packages.debian.org/sid/cmus
  * https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/media-sound/cmus
  * https://software.opensuse.org/package/cmus
  * https://pkgs.org/download/cmus
  * https://www.freshports.org/audio/cmus
  * https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/cmus

Currently there is no Windows port.

.hint and .cygport files are attached

Best regards

Federico Kircheis

[-- Attachment #2: cmus.cygport --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 905 bytes --]

# cmus.cygport
NAME="cmus"
VERSION=2.9.1
TAG=2.9.1
RELEASE=1
SUMMARY="cmus is a small, fast and powerful console music player for Unix-like operating systems."
DESCRIPTION="cmus is a small, fast and powerful console music player for Unix-like operating systems.
"
CATEGORY="Audio"

HOMEPAGE="https://cmus.github.io/"
SRC_URI="https://github.com/cmus/cmus/archive/v${TAG}.tar.gz"
SRC_DIR="cmus-${TAG}"

DEPEND="libncurses-devel libmad-devel libvorbis-devel flac-devel"
REQUIRES="libncursesw10 libmad0 libvorbis flac"

PKG_NAMES="cmus"

src_compile() {
	lndirs
	cd ${B}

	sh ./configure \
		CONFIG_MAD=y CONFIG_VORBIS=y CONFIG_FLAC=y \
		prefix=/usr bindir=/usr/bin libdir=/usr/lib datadir=/usr/share mandir=/usr/share/man

	cygmake CC="${CC}" CXX="${CXX}" AR="${AR}" RANLIB="${RANLIB}" STRIP=/usr/bin/true
}

#src_install() {
#	cd ${B}
#	cyginstall
#}

#src_test() {
#	# There is no test suite yet
#	:
#}

[-- Attachment #3: cmus.hint --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 173 bytes --]

# neomutt.hint
sdesc: "a command line mail reader (or MUA)"
ldesc: "NeoMutt is a command line mail reader (or MUA).
It's a fork of Mutt with added features."
category: Mail

* Re: cmus
@ 2021-10-23 15:39 ` Oliver Schoede
From: Oliver Schoede @ 2021-10-23 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 15:06:46 +0200
Federico Kircheis via Cygwin-apps <cygwin-apps@cygwin.com> wrote:

> Hello to everyone,
>
> I'm interested in becoming a package maintainer for the program cmus.

Very cool! My go-to music player, been using it for years, also in
Cygwin. ;) It's actually one of the reasons I started using it, knew it
from Linux and there being no port, building it on Windows turned out
easier in Cygwin. There was no WSL yet. An actual package is another
story of course, but if there's a problem and I could possibly be of any
help feel free to ask.

Looks like you appended the wrong .hint file.

Best regards,
Oliver

* Re: cmus
@ 2021-10-23 18:01   ` Federico Kircheis
From: Federico Kircheis @ 2021-10-23 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 23/10/2021 17.39, Oliver Schoede wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 15:06:46 +0200
> Federico Kircheis via Cygwin-apps <cygwin-apps@cygwin.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello to everyone,
>>
>> I'm interested in becoming a package maintainer for the program cmus.
>>

> Very cool! My go-to music player, been using it for years, also in
> Cygwin. ;) It's actually one of the reasons I started using it, knew it
> from Linux and there being no port, building it on Windows turned out
> easier in Cygwin. There was no WSL yet. An actual package is another
> story of course, but if there's a problem and I could possibly be of any
> help feel free to ask.
>
> Looks like you appended the wrong .hint file.
>
> Best regards,
> Oliver

Let me try it again with the attachment...

Cool to know I'm not the only one using it under Windows :)

I did not notice any issue, but I'm just a casual user, thank you for
proposing to help, I'll keep it in mind ;)

[-- Attachment #2: cmus.cygport --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 938 bytes --]

# cmus.cygport
NAME="cmus"
VERSION=2.9.1
TAG=2.9.1
RELEASE=1
SUMMARY="cmus is a small, fast and powerful console music player for Unix-like operating systems."
DESCRIPTION="cmus is a lightweight ncurses music player. It supports various output methods by using dynamically-loaded output plugins."
[...]

[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 258 bytes --]

# cmus.hint
sdesc: "cmus is a small, fast and powerful console music player for Unix-like operating systems."
ldesc: "cmus is a lightweight ncurses music player. It supports various output methods by using dynamically-loaded output plugins."
category: Audio

* Re: cmus
@ 2021-10-31 15:29     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2021-10-31 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, Federico Kircheis

On 23/10/2021 19:01, Federico Kircheis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 23/10/2021 17.39, Oliver Schoede wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 15:06:46 +0200
>> Federico Kircheis via Cygwin-apps
>> <cygwin-apps-rDBXBDvO6BXQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello to everyone,
>>>
>>> I'm interested in becoming a package maintainer for the program cmus.
>>>

>> Very cool! My go-to music player, been using it for years, also in
>> Cygwin. ;) It's actually one of the reasons I started using it, knew it
>> from Linux and there being no port, building it on Windows turned out
>> easier in Cygwin. There was no WSL yet. An actual package is another
>> story of course, but if there's a problem and I could possibly be of any
>> help feel free to ask.
>>
>> Looks like you appended the wrong .hint file.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Oliver
>>

> Let me try it again with the attachment...
>
> Cool to know I'm not the only one using it under Windows :)
>
> I did not notice any issue, but I'm just a casual user, thank you for
> proposing to help, I'll keep it in mind ;)

Thanks.

I've added 'cmus' to your list of packages.

A few small comments on the cygport:

> # cmus.cygport
> NAME="cmus"
> VERSION=2.9.1
> TAG=2.9.1

Why not just use ${VERSION} throughout?

> RELEASE=1
> SUMMARY="cmus is a small, fast and powerful console music player for Unix-like operating systems."
> DESCRIPTION="cmus is a lightweight ncurses music player. It supports various output methods by using dynamically-loaded output plugins."
> CATEGORY="Audio"
>
> HOMEPAGE="https://cmus.github.io/"
> SRC_URI="https://github.com/cmus/cmus/archive/v${TAG}.tar.gz"
> SRC_DIR="cmus-${TAG}"
>
> DEPEND="libncurses-devel libmad-devel libvorbis-devel flac-devel"

DEPEND is deprecated, please use BUILD_REQUIRES instead

> REQUIRES="libncursesw10 libmad0 libvorbis flac"
>
> PKG_NAMES="cmus"
>
> src_compile() {
> 	lndirs
> 	cd ${B}
>
> 	sh ./configure \
> 		CONFIG_MAD=y CONFIG_VORBIS=y CONFIG_FLAC=y \
> 		prefix=/usr bindir=/usr/bin libdir=/usr/lib datadir=/usr/share mandir=/usr/share/man
>
> 	cygmake CC="${CC}" CXX="${CXX}" AR="${AR}" RANLIB="${RANLIB}" STRIP=/usr/bin/true

I'm not sure any of these env vars are needed (and something here seems
to cause me some problem with "undefined reference to `xstrndup'" when
linking)

> }
>

> #src_install() {

Please drop these commented out lines.

> #	cd ${B}
> #	cyginstall
> #}
>
> #src_test() {
> #	# There is no test suite yet
> #	:
> #}

* Re: cmus
@ 2021-10-31 19:00       ` Federico Kircheis
From: Federico Kircheis @ 2021-10-31 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 31/10/2021 16.29, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 23/10/2021 19:01, Federico Kircheis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> On 23/10/2021 17.39, Oliver Schoede wrote:
>>> On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 15:06:46 +0200
>>> Federico Kircheis via Cygwin-apps

>>> Very cool! My go-to music player, been using it for years, also in
>>> Cygwin. ;) It's actually one of the reasons I started using it, knew it
>>> from Linux and there being no port, building it on Windows turned out
>>> easier in Cygwin. There was no WSL yet. An actual package is another
>>> story of course, but if there's a problem and I could possibly be of any
>>> help feel free to ask.
>>>
>>> Looks like you appended the wrong .hint file.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Oliver
>>>

>> Let me try it again with the attachment...
>>
>> Cool to know I'm not the only one using it under Windows :)
>>
>> I did not notice any issue, but I'm just a casual user, thank you for
>> proposing to help, I'll keep it in mind ;)
>
> Thanks.
>
> I've added 'cmus' to your list of packages.
>
> A few small comments on the cygport:
>
>> # cmus.cygport
>> NAME="cmus"
>> VERSION=2.9.1
>> TAG=2.9.1
>
> Why not just use ${VERSION} throughout?

Good point

>> RELEASE=1
>> SUMMARY="cmus is a small, fast and powerful console music player for
>> Unix-like operating systems."
>> DESCRIPTION="cmus is a lightweight ncurses music player. It supports
>> various output methods by using dynamically-loaded output plugins."
>> CATEGORY="Audio"
>>
>> HOMEPAGE="https://cmus.github.io/"
>> SRC_URI="https://github.com/cmus/cmus/archive/v${TAG}.tar.gz"
>> SRC_DIR="cmus-${TAG}"
>>
>> DEPEND="libncurses-devel libmad-devel libvorbis-devel flac-devel"
>
> DEPEND is deprecated, please use BUILD_REQUIRES instead

Ah, did not know it.
IF it's deprecated, unless I did not see it, is there any type of
warning when executing cygport?
If not, it would be a nice addition, so that automatically packagers are
aware of it.
BUILD_REQUIRES is a much better name, I'm going to use it immediately.

>> REQUIRES="libncursesw10 libmad0 libvorbis flac"
>>
>> PKG_NAMES="cmus"
>>
>> src_compile() {
>>     lndirs
>>     cd ${B}
>>
>>     sh ./configure \
>>         CONFIG_MAD=y CONFIG_VORBIS=y CONFIG_FLAC=y \
>>         prefix=/usr bindir=/usr/bin libdir=/usr/lib datadir=/usr/share
>> mandir=/usr/share/man
>>
>>     cygmake CC="${CC}" CXX="${CXX}" AR="${AR}" RANLIB="${RANLIB}"
>> STRIP=/usr/bin/true
>
> I'm not sure any of these env vars are needed (and something here seems
> to cause me some problem with "undefined reference to `xstrndup'" when
> linking)

I have to admit that I've copy-pasted the cygmake line from another
cygport, probably also in that other package it's not necessary.

I've built (modulo errors) the packages in a "clean" environment, ie a
cygwin installation where I installed with setupx.exe
gcc,gdb,cygport,calm and the BUILD_REQUIRES packages.
I rechecked, and could not find anything related to xstrndup.
Could you share the exact error message?

I've dropped all the env vars and it does not seem to make any difference.

>> }
>>

>> #src_install() {
>
> Please drop these commented out lines.
>
>> #    cd ${B}
>> #    cyginstall
>> #}
>>
>> #src_test() {
>> #    # There is no test suite yet
>> #    :
>> #}

I've reattached the cygport file, everything seems to work as before.
Before uploading, I would like to see the error you have, if possible.

[-- Attachment #2: cmus.cygport --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 772 bytes --]

# cmus.cygport
NAME="cmus"
VERSION=2.9.1
RELEASE=1
SUMMARY="cmus is a small, fast and powerful console music player for Unix-like operating systems."
DESCRIPTION="cmus is a lightweight ncurses music player. It supports various output methods by using dynamically-loaded output plugins."
CATEGORY="Audio"

HOMEPAGE="https://cmus.github.io/"
SRC_URI="https://github.com/cmus/cmus/archive/v${VERSION}.tar.gz"
SRC_DIR="cmus-${VERSION}"

BUILD_REQUIRES="libncurses-devel libmad-devel libvorbis-devel flac-devel"

@ 2021-11-14 12:56         ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2021-11-14 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, Federico Kircheis

On 31/10/2021 19:00, Federico Kircheis via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> I've reattached the cygport file, everything seems to work as before.
> Before uploading, I would like to see the error you have, if possible.

I'm not able to reproduce the problem anymore, so I guess I must have
messed up something locally when I was trying before.

Please go ahead with the upload.

* Re: cmus
@ 2021-11-14 14:22           ` Federico Kircheis
From: Federico Kircheis @ 2021-11-14 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 14/11/2021 13.56, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 31/10/2021 19:00, Federico Kircheis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>
>> I've reattached the cygport file, everything seems to work as before.
>> Before uploading, I would like to see the error you have, if possible.
>
> I'm not able to reproduce the problem anymore, so I guess I must have
> messed up something locally when I was trying before.
>
> Please go ahead with the upload.

Great,

thank for letting me know