* Is there, anywhere in the world, some place where ican rsync Cygin 32 bits ?
@ 2023-05-29 22:06 akakima
From: akakima @ 2023-05-29 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Does such a place exist (beside fruitbat) ?

Thanks a lot.

* Re: Is there, anywhere in the world, some place where ican rsync Cygin 32 bits ?
@ 2023-05-29 22:42 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-05-29 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: akakima

On 2023-05-29 16:06, akakima via Cygwin wrote:
> Does such a place exist (beside fruitbat) ?

Appears the master and all mirrors have stub setup.ini and nothing else!
Only private mirrors like fruitbat are likely to maintain history.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: Is there, anywhere in the world, some place where ican rsync Cygin 32 bits ?
@ 2023-05-30 12:16 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-05-30 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29/05/2023 23:06, akakima via Cygwin wrote:
> Does such a place exist (beside fruitbat) ?

Use the cygwin-archive/20221123 path (See [1]) on an rsyncable
sourceware mirror (the list at [2] is sadly incomplete, not all of the
cygwin mirrors listed at [3] have a full sourceware mirror)

[1] https://cygwin.com/install.html#unsupported
[2] https://sourceware.org/mirrors.html
[3] https://cygwin.com/mirrors.html

* Re: Is there, anywhere in the world, some place where ican rsync Cygin 32 bits ?
@ 2023-05-30 12:21   ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-05-30 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29/05/2023 23:42, Brian Inglis via Cygwin wrote:
> On 2023-05-29 16:06, akakima via Cygwin wrote:
>> Does such a place exist (beside fruitbat) ?
>
> Appears the master and all mirrors have stub setup.ini and nothing else!
> Only private mirrors like fruitbat are likely to maintain history.

This answer is wrong is almost every particular.

I went to a some effort to maintain an accessible archive of the last
32-bit cygwin (See [1]).

Please don't spread misinformation.

[1] https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2022-November/010810.html

* Re: Is there, anywhere in the world, some place where ican rsync Cygin 32 bits ?
@ 2023-05-30 19:55     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-05-30 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2023-05-30 06:21, Jon Turney via Cygwin wrote:
> On 29/05/2023 23:42, Brian Inglis via Cygwin wrote:
>> On 2023-05-29 16:06, akakima via Cygwin wrote:
>>> Does such a place exist (beside fruitbat) ?
>>
>> Appears the master and all mirrors have stub setup.ini and nothing else!
>> Only private mirrors like fruitbat are likely to maintain history.
>
> This answer is wrong is almost every particular.

Good - nothing like a definitely wrong statement in a post to bring out an
illuminating correction in a reply!

> I went to a some effort to maintain an accessible archive of the last 32-bit
> cygwin (See [1]).
>
> Please don't spread misinformation.

Both the OP and myself, and likely others, missed the alternative:
I just went back and reread it a few times, and finally got the point;
also in the Install FAQ - I just noticed it third time thru, after searching the
page for "sourceware".

> [1] https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2022-November/010810.html

You totally buried the lede with the point:

"The URL for any sourceware mirror[1], followed by cygwin-archive/20221123"

because of too many levels of indirection about sourceware mirrors, lack of
examples and emphases, overshadowed by the following URL and thanks; similarly
in the install FAQ:

"The URL for any sourceware mirror, followed by cygwin-archive/20221123".

I've done this a lot myself, trying to be too terse whilst getting the point
across, losing it in the wording, requiring rephrasing or restructuring, perhaps
along the lines of:

"To install the last cygwin version for x86, run setup using the options
'--allow-unsupported-windows option --site circa_URL' e.g.

	> setup-x86 -allow-unsupported-windows --site circa_URL

where circa_URL can be one of:

* any complete sourceware mirror URL, which includes cygwin-archive, followed by
   the cygwin-archive mirror directory name and last x86 archive date
   cygwin-archive/20221123 e.g.

	https://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin-archive/20221123/

   An incomplete list of sourceware mirrors is available at:

	https://sourceware.org/mirrors.html

   (Not all sourceware mirrors may carry the cygwin-archive mirror.)

* the Cygwin time machine URL:

   http://ctm.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/2022/11/23/063457

   Thanks to the Cygwin Time Machine for providing this archive."

In the Install FAQ, perhaps:

"32-bit:
http://ctm.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/2022/11/23/063457
https://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin-archive/20221123/ or the URL for
any complete sourceware mirror which includes cygwin-archive, followed by the
mirror directory and last x86 archive date cygwin-archive/20221123"

and/or perhaps include something like the suggested expansion at top below under
the 32-bit note?

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: Is there, anywhere in the world, some place where ican rsync Cygin 32 bits ?
@ 2023-06-11 17:58       ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-06-11 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30/05/2023 20:55, Brian Inglis via Cygwin wrote:
> On 2023-05-30 06:21, Jon Turney via Cygwin wrote:
>>>
>>> Appears the master and all mirrors have stub setup.ini and nothing else!
>>> Only private mirrors like fruitbat are likely to maintain history.
>>
>> This answer is wrong is almost every particular.
>
> Good - nothing like a definitely wrong statement in a post to bring out
> an illuminating correction in a reply!

No, we're not going to play that game.  Posting misinformation doesn't
oblige me to provide a correction (because that's an easily exploitable
infinite time sink).

Please avoid making definitive statements you don't know to be true on
this list in future.

>> I went to a some effort to maintain an accessible archive of the last
>> 32-bit cygwin (See [1]).
>>
>> Please don't spread misinformation.
>
> Both the OP and myself, and likely others, missed the alternative:
> I just went back and reread it a few times, and finally got the point;
> also in the Install FAQ - I just noticed it third time thru, after
> searching the page for "sourceware".

[...]
>    An incomplete list of sourceware mirrors is available at:
>
>      https://sourceware.org/mirrors.html
>
>    (Not all sourceware mirrors may carry the cygwin-archive mirror.)

Again, this is wrong.

sourceware mirrors by definition mirror the entire "ftp directory" from
sourceware.

* Re: Is there, anywhere in the world, some place where ican rsync Cygin 32 bits ?
@ 2023-06-15 16:37         ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-06-15 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2023-06-11 11:58, Jon Turney via Cygwin wrote:
> On 30/05/2023 20:55, Brian Inglis via Cygwin wrote:

>>> This answer is wrong is almost every particular.
>>
>> Good - nothing like a definitely wrong statement in a post to bring out an
>> illuminating correction in a reply!
>
> No, we're not going to play that game.  Posting misinformation doesn't oblige me
> to provide a correction (because that's an easily exploitable infinite time sink).

Sorry if you misinterpreted my jocular attempt to lighten the tone in response
to your flame!

> Please avoid making definitive statements you don't know to be true on this list
> in future.

As volunteer contributors, we all contribute where we can, and my statements
were far from definitive, leaving room for more knowledgeable contributors to
respond in their own timeframe, if they could.

As I am neither a logician or mathematician, I never claim to make definitive
statements or anything that is true, only contributions to the best of my
admittedly limited ability and imperfect knowledge.

As far as I, and possibly many others, were aware, fruitbat was the only known
legacy archive.

>>> I went to a some effort to maintain an accessible archive of the last 32-bit
>>> cygwin (See [1]).
>>>
>>> Please don't spread misinformation.

I feel you overreacted inappropriately in both your previous and latest replies.

>> Both the OP and myself, and likely others, missed the alternative:
>> I just went back and reread it a few times, and finally got the point;
>> also in the Install FAQ - I just noticed it third time thru, after searching
>> the page for "sourceware".
>>
> [...]
>>
>>    An incomplete list of sourceware mirrors is available at:
>>
>>      https://sourceware.org/mirrors.html
>>
>>    (Not all sourceware mirrors may carry the cygwin-archive mirror.)
>
> Again, this is wrong.
>
> sourceware mirrors by definition mirror the entire "ftp directory" from sourceware.

Then it appears that list of Sourceware mirrors should be updated as the listed
mirror of funet.fi:

	https://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/sources.redhat.com/pub/

has neither a current Cygwin mirror nor any cygwin-archive mirror, and may not
have any current Sourceware mirrors from what I see.
However I see that site has a Cygwin mirror which is under a current Sourceware
mirror including /cygwin-archive/20221123/:

	https://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/sourceware.org/pub/

[BTW mirrors.kernel.org appears to have dropped FTP (no response and not in
Cygwin mirrors); also sourceware.org/cygwin link no longer appears to redirect
to cygwin.com, although it does show the Cygwin home page, so most of the home
page nav bar links do not appear to work correctly, giving 404 or an equivalent
Sourceware page, unless the Cygwin and Sourceware site paths match FYI]

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry