* FSF status
@ 2006-09-08  9:19 Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2006-09-08  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

Hi Jifl

Hows it going with FSF?

Are you still trying to get the eCosCentric copyright assignment
sorted out?

       Thanks
          Andrew

* Re: FSF status
@ 2006-09-08 17:03 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2006-09-08 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

Andrew Lunn wrote:
> Hi Jifl
>
> Hows it going with FSF?
>
> Are you still trying to get the eCosCentric copyright assignment
> sorted out?

Yes it is still waiting on them, allegedly their legal department. The
"copyright clerk" Jonas Jacobson replied to me not that long ago seeming
to forget much of the thousands of words I have already written to him
(much at his own request) and almost bringing things back to square one.
He says there are "issues" but then doesn't say what they are. I'm not
convinced FSF legal have looked at this at all yet. In my view, I have a
clear and minor change suggested to their standard copyright assignment
wording, and there has not been any problem mentioned with it, other than
the fact it isn't the boiler plate copyright assignment.

All in all, I'm moving past "disappointed" to "irritated" in how they're
dealing with this. Were it not for eCosCentric's public undertaking to get
this stuff assigned, I'd have thrown in the towel on this ages ago.

The only reason we can't use their standard assignment template is that it
assigns all code in "eCos" which is something eCosCentric cannot be
expected to do as eCosCentric develops extensions to eCos which are not to
be assigned. You would have thought this would be a simple concept, and
one the FSF would have already had to deal with, but it appears not.

I reckon there would be some surprised people out there if they found out
that if you assign to the FSF, you assign all code you ever write
associated with that project, even code you didn't intend to contribute
and haven't even told them about.

Given that this issue is straightforward and there's nothing secret about
it, I don't mind forwarding my past correspondence to any maintainer who
wants it, but I wouldn't want to bore (or irritate) anyone with it unless
you do.

Anyway, I have been back and forward, and my last missive to them was
2006-08-25, to which I am still awaiting a response.

Jifl

* Re: FSF status
@ 2006-09-08 17:13   ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2006-09-08 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

> The only reason we can't use their standard assignment template is that it
> assigns all code in "eCos" which is something eCosCentric cannot be
> expected to do as eCosCentric develops extensions to eCos which are not to
> be assigned.

Are there any other FSF projects which have a commercial company
associated?  Like Wine/crossover office? Could you could find such a
setup which have already been through this process and use there
assignemt. Ask the company for a copy of what they used. You would
then have a strong position to argue from that the FSF accepted this
exact wording before, so there is no need for the legal people to be
really involved.....

       Andrew

* Re: FSF status
@ 2006-09-08 18:51     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2006-09-08 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

Andrew Lunn wrote:
>>The only reason we can't use their standard assignment template is that it
>>assigns all code in "eCos" which is something eCosCentric cannot be
>>expected to do as eCosCentric develops extensions to eCos which are not to
>>be assigned.
>

> Are there any other FSF projects which have a commercial company
> associated?  Like Wine/crossover office?

I've looked up that one, and WINE is not assigned to the FSF. I'll try to
think of some other companies where the main project is assigned to the
FSF but other bits wouldn't be. I know that Red Hat and Novell/SuSE do
have a blanket assignment anyway, so not them.

> Could you could find such a
> setup which have already been through this process and use there
> assignemt. Ask the company for a copy of what they used. You would
> then have a strong position to argue from that the FSF accepted this
> exact wording before, so there is no need for the legal people to be
> really involved.....

I've already asked this of the FSF directly in prior correspondence and
they claimed no-one's ever raised this before.

Jifl

* Re: FSF status
@ 2005-05-06 12:33   ` Mark Salter
From: Mark Salter @ 2005-05-06 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: Gary Thomas, eCos Maintainers

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 16:03 +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Gary Thomas wrote:
> > Jonathan,
> >
> > Time for another ping?
>
> I've pinged the FSF and asked them if they've had a response from RH. Mark
> S asked me about the state last week (or maybe the week before) and I
> filled him in. He said he was going to chase it up internally. Mark, any
> joy? Or are you in the same boat as me :).

Inquiries have been made, but no response so far.

--Mark

* Re: FSF status
@ 2005-05-04 15:03 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2005-05-04 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

@ 2005-05-04 14:38 Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2005-05-04 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

Jonathan,

Time for another ping?

* Re: FSF status
@ 2003-10-15 14:01 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-10-15 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

Gary Thomas wrote:
> Jonathan,
>
> Have you made any progress with the FSF changeover?

Not for a while. I last prodded them on the 8th (I've attached my last
message FYI). There's some speculation the FSF is tied up with SCO (who
have now expanded their claims to encompass the validity of the GPL in
general:  and now there's also Linksys. Both are discussed here:
http://lwn.net/Articles/50985/

However there are some steps we can take now other than the assignment to
at least work on the vendor independence. In particular, to try and move
as many references as possible from http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/ to
http://ecos.sourceware.org/ including list addresses; at least as much as
we can.

But we haven't formally agreed that everyone's okay with that. I had hoped
before for something like ecos.gnu.org, but the FSF's position is such
that we would only be able to get ecos.nongnu.org at present. So
ecos.sourceware.org is the only sensible way forward IMHO as I doubt we
want to change home pages again if and when we become official GNU. Unless
there are objections, I'll assume that's the official stance now and we
can look at fixing up references and set up a RedirectMatch in the httpd
config to forward to ecos.sourceware.org.

Jifl

[-- Attachment #2: Attached Message --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 5856 bytes --]

From: Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org>
To: FSF General Contact Address <info@fsf.org>
Subject: Re: [gnu.org #25869] eCos as an FSF project?
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 13:34:44 +0100

Hi, it's been over two months now since I've heard anything, so I'm just
wondering what the status is?

I really want to get to the point where the FSF is accepting assignments
for us (and we're prepared to do so). All this time, more work is being
assigned to Red Hat instead.

Thanks,

Jifl

Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know you'll have a backlog, but I'm being pestered to resolve this as
> time ticks merrily on. Any chance someone could look at this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jifl
>
> Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>
>> FSF General Contact Address wrote:

>> Hi Brett,
>>
>> I realised I should have replied earlier, sorry.
>>
>>> I am very sorry for the late response to this message.  Since we are a
>>> non-profit with very limited resources, messages to this address
>>> often get
>>> backlogged, and we are always struggling to catch up.
>>

>> As a startup company working with OSS, I can vouch for the lack of
>> available time!
>>
>>> So long as eCos is following GNU policies, we are willing to accept its
>>> copyright, even if it does not officially become GNU software.
>>

>> Excellent! In that case, be prepared to receive some assignments soon.
>>
>>  >  As such, so
>>
>>> long as you are doing that, it seems like we can begin a process
>>> which will
>>> go something like this: we will take copyright on the eCos software --
>>> excluding the documentation -- as a non-GNU program.  Once we can
>>> establish
>>> with Red Hat that we hold copyright for most of eCos,
>>

>> That may take some time to establish as core parts of eCos don't
>> change radically that quickly - people want stability in an embedded
>> OS. Plus to date the policy has been assignments to Red Hat for all
>> contributions, excepting the eCos maintainers' own work (we were able
>> to trust ourselves to assign to the FSF later!).
>>
>>> we will approach them
>>> about assigning their copyright on the work, including the
>>> documentation,
>>> to us as well.  While we are in those negotiations, eCos can be
>>> evaluated
>>> for inclusion as part of the GNU project.  With some luck, those

* FSF status
@ 2003-10-15 13:37 Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-10-15 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Maintainers; +Cc: Jonathan Larmour