* Atomic accesses on ARM microcontrollers
@ 2020-10-09 18:28 David Brown
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Brown @ 2020-10-09 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I don't know if this can be answered here, or would be best on the
development mailing list.  But I'll start on the help list.

I work primarily with microcontrollers, with 32-bit ARM Cortex-M devices
being the most common these days.  I've been trying out atomics in gcc,
and I find it badly lacking.  (I've tried C11 <stdatomic.h>, C++11
<atomic>, and the gcc builtins - they all generate the same results,
which is to be expected.)  I'm concentrating on plain loads and stores
at the moment, not other atomic operations.

These microcontrollers are all single core, so memory ordering does not
matter.

For 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit types, atomic accesses are just simple
loads and stores.  These are generated fine.

But for 64-bit and above, there are library calls to a compiler-provided
library.  For the Cortex M4 and M7 cores (and several other Cortex M
cores), the "load double register" and "store double register"
instructions are atomic (but not suitable for use with volatile data,
since they are restarted if they are interrupted).  The compiler
generates these for normal 64-bit types, but not for atomics.

For larger types, the situation is far, far worse.  Not only is the
library code inefficient on these devices (disabling and re-enabling
global interrupts is the optimal solution in most cases, with load/store
with reservation being a second option), but it is /wrong/.  The library
uses spin locks (AFAICS) - on a single core system, that generally means
deadlocking the processor.  That is worse than useless.

Is there any way I can replace this library with my own code here, while
still using the language atomics?

David