public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Re: Current Status of Insight
@ 2005-05-13  8:14 Roland Schwingel
From: Roland Schwingel @ 2005-05-13  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

Hi...

 > > Or should I use DDD (which i dont really like, because i think Motif
 > > must have been designed by people that had no eyes, and was then hit
 > > with the ugly stick 3 times on birth. [Personal opinion, Motif guys if
 > > you like how it looks, more power to you])
 >
 > DDD, Eclipse CDT, xgdb (and friends) are all still options. I admit,
 > though, I still use Insight from CVS head. IMO, it will be quite some
 > time before something can match the simplecity of the UI and the speed
 > of insight.
I also use Insight from CVS head. It works well, and at present
it is for me the *one and only* solution to debug gcc compiled code
on windows! I also tried DDD on cygwin but it is not that reliable.

 > The real question is: Is it worth it? Does anyone really care anymore?
YES YES YES!!!! I am building insight from CVS frequently to run
on windows. Beside of the stack dump problem in gdb 6.x itself it works
really great!!! I use Insight on cygwin to debug mingw code all day!

 > At one time I considered branching, dumping all the Tcl code (assigned
 > to Red Hat) and rewriting in some form of gtk (all new code assigned to
 > FSF). I don't believe there is enough interest to justify this work,
 > though.
Well a replacement GUI would be nice, but should IMHO run also on
windows/cygwin.

Roland

* Re: Current Status of Insight
@ 2005-05-17  8:26 Roland Schwingel
From: Roland Schwingel @ 2005-05-17  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor, insight

Hi...

Christopher Faylor wrote on 16.05.2005 18:08:44:

 > The project is only "dead" because no one is actively caring for it.
 > Making it part of gdb does not mean that someone will magically appear
 > to keep it alive.  You still need people to do that.
 >
 > We CAN fix this.  All that we need are volunteers to keep insight
 > healthy.  While it would be nice to have insight officially part of gdb,
 > it has managed to survive fairly well for a long time in its present
 > state.

As many others I am interested in keeping Insight alive and prospering.
Unfortunately my knowledge of tcl/tk is only of experimental nature, so
I might be not of much help there but (with limited time - I also need
to talk to my employer first) I could maybe do something here and there.

Roland

* Re: Current Status of Insight
@ 2005-05-16 23:45 Paul Schlie
From: Paul Schlie @ 2005-05-16 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Johnson, Christopher Faylor; +Cc: insight

> Do we have any other new volunteers that are putting up their hands?

- would be please to assist verifying Insight's operability hosted on
  OSX for embedded targets such as AVR, which should help cover at least
  one of the extreme end-points; being a somewhat atypical embedded target
  development host, and the very low end of the processor target spectrum
  typically both OS&Shared-Library-less.

  (and presently assume that gdbtk will/should continue to be hosted within
   GDB's CVS directory structure to maintain as close a correspondence and
   link between it's the two corresponding efforts, creating a virtually
   unified effort?)

* Re: Current Status of Insight
@ 2005-05-14 22:13 Paul Schlie
From: Paul Schlie @ 2005-05-14 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

>> But what Java does not have - is a command line it is
>> compiled langauge Tcl/Tk - it is some what enherent.
>
> Well, something similar could be implemented in Java with BeanShell
> (http://www.beanshell.org/). jEdit uses this.

It seems a lot simpler to simply encourage Insight/GDB as it present stands,
to be officially (or even semi-officially) considered as part of the GDB
release, and maintained as interest allows along side if it; and remain
complemented with the separately maintained TK/TCL library etc. as may be
necessary in parallel; similar to the way it is now, but without the sigma
of "it's dead" lying over it's head.

(Although I'm personally not fan of TK/TCL, I seriously doubt any attempted
re-architecture would end up being more productive than disruptive; so an
in-place successive refinement seems simplest and most logical.)

[parent not found: <1115992411.3092.ezmlm@sources.redhat.com>]
* Re: Current Status of Insight
@ 2005-05-13  1:15 Paul Schlie
From: Paul Schlie @ 2005-05-13  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz, Steven Johnson, insight

> Keith Seitz writes:
> I still use Insight from CVS head. IMO, it will be quite some
> time before something can match the simplecity of the UI and the speed
> of insight.

- Fully agree, and convenient for cross-compiled target debugging.

> Andrew Cagney (the GDB maintainer) decided that enough was enough. If
> Insight isn't officially assigned to the FSF, he was under no obligation
> to spin the release for it (even though it cost him nothing to do it).
> So no more snapshots, releases, tagging the sources, etc.

- It may be worth proposing that Insight build/distribution with GDB be
  re-enabled, as it's still a nice complement to the otherwise text only
  interface (and already integrated, so it would be a shame to ignore).

* Current Status of Insight
@ 2005-05-12 10:07 Steven Johnson
From: Steven Johnson @ 2005-05-12 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi, ive been away from Insight for quite some time.

Correct me (and maybe forgive me) if i make any errors, the following is
from my memory, and i do not wish to upset anyone.

I seem to recall there was a falling out between FSF and Redhat over
Insight. (I do not know exactly what about, and if i did i wouldnt have
a position either way) and at about the same time (V5.3) vintage (around
2 years ago) Insight stopped being
(a) actively developed and
(b) released in synch with the GDB mainline.

There was a time when GDB X.YY would be released and insight X.YY seemed
to be there right along with it, that was a long time ago now.

My email is basically a query on the status, is Insight alive and well?

Is the FSF/Redhat thing over Insight resolved?

Is there a road map for re-synching Insight with GDB releases, so people
dont get stuck using an over 2 year old version (cause the web site says
thats the latest stable version).  Telling people to use CVS_HEAD is
hardly ideal.  It doesnt really inspire confidence in stability.
Although I understand that might be the best answer anyone can currently
give.

Or should I use DDD (which i dont really like, because i think Motif
must have been designed by people that had no eyes, and was then hit
with the ugly stick 3 times on birth. [Personal opinion, Motif guys if
you like how it looks, more power to you])

Is Insight CVS_HEAD currently in-synch with GDB 6.3?  If so, could an
Insight 6.3 be cut and released as a stable version?  If not whats the
impediment?

Im happy to do the checking out and packaging of the source (if someone
can tell me the appropriate CVS tag to use), and web site updating if
thats all it requires.

Steven Johnson