* gcc ML archive: text/x-patch attachments no longer shown inline (was:Re: Mailing list stripping off attachments)
       [not found] <C92C61E7-EF8A-4AD7-904D-FA6E0AD6649C@tkoenig.net>
@ 2020-03-09  8:40 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2020-03-09  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

CC overseers.

they are not stripped – I do see them both in my inbox and at
https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/fortran/2020-March/054050.html

However, attachments of the "text/x-…" format (here: text/x-patch)
are no longer shown inline but have to be downloaded (with the
inconvenient suffix: .bin) – which is very inconvenient.

Cheers,

Tobias

On 3/9/20 9:23 AM, Thomas König wrote:

> Hi,
>
> looks like the new mailing list setup is stripping off patches. Example:
>
>   https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/fortran/2020-
> March/054050.html
>
> The attachments are also not distributed via mail.
>
> This breaks the gfortran review process. Could somebody please fix this?
>
> Regards

  2020-03-09  9:46     ` text/x-* attachments stripped (was: Re: gcc ML archive: text/x-patch attachments no longer shown inline (was:Re: Mailing list stripping off attachments)) Tobias Burnus
From: Thomas König @ 2020-03-09  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> CC overseers.
>
> they are not stripped – I do see them both in my inbox and at
> https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/fortran/2020-March/054050.html

They were stripped for me :-( I even mailed Paul about the (for me) missing attachment.

Not sure what is going on there, but whatever change was made clearly broke a lot of things.

* text/x-* attachments stripped (was: Re: gcc ML archive: text/x-patch attachments no longer shown inline (was:Re: Mailing list stripping off attachments))
@ 2020-03-09  9:46     ` Tobias Burnus
  2020-03-09 10:25       ` text/x-* attachments stripped (was: Re: gcc ML archive: text/x-patch attachments no longer shown inline (was:Re: Mailing list stripping off attachments)) Jakub Jelinek
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2020-03-09  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thomas, hi Overseers

I can confirm that those are stripped off!

I did sent an email with three attachments:
* test.txt (text/plain)
* test.diff (text/x-diff)
* the company's disclaimer

The attachment with 'text/x-diff' MIME was removed :-(
See: https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/fortran/current/054078.html

Tobias

From: Richard Bradfield @ 2020-03-09  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: overseers, gfortran

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 10:46:31 +0100, Tobias Burnus wrote:
> Hi Thomas, hi Overseers
>
> I can confirm that those are stripped off!
>
> I did sent an email with three attachments:
> * test.txt (text/plain)
> * test.diff (text/x-diff)
> * the company's disclaimer

It appears that since the migration (or whatever happened on the list
over the weekend), the List-Id header is also being stripped from
outbound mail. The last GCC mail I have where the header is intact was
from Friday 6th.

--
Richard

                           ` (5 more replies)
From: Jakub Jelinek @ 2020-03-09 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 10:46:31AM +0100, Tobias Burnus wrote:
> Hi Thomas, hi Overseers
>
> I can confirm that those are stripped off!
>
> I did sent an email with three attachments:
> * test.txt (text/plain)
> * test.diff (text/x-diff)
> * the company's disclaimer
>
> The attachment with 'text/x-diff' MIME was removed :-(
> See: https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/fortran/current/054078.html

A different mail archiver is now used it seems.
For the mails before the sourceware move, one can access the old one too,
e.g.
https://gcc.gnu.org/legacy-ml/gcc-bugs/2020-03/
is the old one vs.
https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-bugs/2020-March/
I've been using the gcc-bugs mail archive all the time in the past, but I'm
afraid pipermail at least in current configuration is significant step back
and I'll likely just use my mailbox from now on.
Some reasons:
1) the by date monthly list of mails used to be ordered newest to oldest
mails first, now it is oldest to newest, so when dealing with new stuff one
has to always scroll down
2) the dates and times of mails used to be shown (date as a section in the
list, times in the left column), now there is nothing, so without clicking
something it is hard to guess how exactly old it is
3) the columns were nicer (date, subject left justified, email right
justified, now there are no columns)
4) some headers were shown, now there is nothing
5) emails used to be sanitized against harvesters, now they aren't
6) there used to be a Raw text URL to grab the raw email, now there is nothing

	Jakub

* Re: List-Id header being stripped
@ 2020-03-09 10:27         ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2020-03-09 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Bradfield; +Cc: gcc, overseers, gfortran

On Mär 09 2020, Richard Bradfield wrote:

> It appears that since the migration (or whatever happened on the list
> over the weekend), the List-Id header is also being stripped from
> outbound mail.

Worksforme.  These are the list-related headers of your mail:

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, schwab@suse.de
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7

* Re: List-Id header being stripped
@ 2020-03-09 10:30         ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2020-03-09 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Bradfield; +Cc: gcc, overseers, gfortran

* Richard Bradfield:

> It appears that since the migration (or whatever happened on the list
> over the weekend), the List-Id header is also being stripped from
> outbound mail. The last GCC mail I have where the header is intact was
> from Friday 6th.

There weren't any List-Id headers before the migration.  If you
previously filtered on Sender: headers, you have to change your
filters.  Other filters (List-Post:, for example) may keep working
unchanged, but details will be vary according to how you set up your
filters.

* Re: List-Id header being stripped
@ 2020-03-09 10:44           ` Richard Bradfield
From: Richard Bradfield @ 2020-03-09 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: gcc, overseers, gfortran

On Mon, 09 Mar 2020 11:27:46 +0100, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> On Mär 09 2020, Richard Bradfield wrote:
>
> > It appears that since the migration (or whatever happened on the list
> > over the weekend), the List-Id header is also being stripped from
> > outbound mail.
>
> Worksforme.  These are the list-related headers of your mail:

Two user errors from me, my client was hiding some (but not all) extra
headers, and my filter rule was 'exactly equals gcc@gcc.gnu.org' rather
than 'contains', post migration the List-Id includes the name portion,
so that broke which led to me checking the headers and missing them...

Thanks for looking!

--
Richard

  2020-03-09 13:57         ` text/x-* attachments stripped (was: Re: gcc ML archive: text/x-patch attachments no longer shown inline (was:Re: Mailing list stripping off attachments)) Thomas König
                           ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2020-03-09 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 10:28, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> 1) the by date monthly list of mails used to be ordered newest to oldest
> mails first, now it is oldest to newest, so when dealing with new stuff one
> has to always scroll down

You can use #end to jump to the bottom.

> 6) there used to be a Raw text URL to grab the raw email, now there is nothing

That is something I need.

I use that to reply to mails that I don't have in my mailbox, because
I'm not sub'd to the list. With the raw text link you could download a
mailbox file of the mail, and so open it in your local MUA and reply
(with a correct In-Reply-To header, so that threading is properly
preserved).

* Re: List-Id header being stripped
@ 2020-03-09 10:49           ` Richard Earnshaw
From: Richard Earnshaw @ 2020-03-09 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Weimer, Richard Bradfield; +Cc: overseers, gcc, gfortran

On 09/03/2020 10:30, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Richard Bradfield:
>
>> It appears that since the migration (or whatever happened on the list
>> over the weekend), the List-Id header is also being stripped from
>> outbound mail. The last GCC mail I have where the header is intact was
>> from Friday 6th.
>
> There weren't any List-Id headers before the migration.

Yes there were (either that or the filters I've been using for years
were psychic!)

R.

> If you
> previously filtered on Sender: headers, you have to change your
> filters.  Other filters (List-Post:, for example) may keep working
> unchanged, but details will be vary according to how you set up your
> filters.

* Re: text/x-* attachments stripped
@ 2020-03-09 11:21           ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2020-03-09 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mär 09 2020, Jonathan Wakely wrote:

> I use that to reply to mails that I don't have in my mailbox, because
> I'm not sub'd to the list. With the raw text link you could download a
> mailbox file of the mail, and so open it in your local MUA and reply
> (with a correct In-Reply-To header, so that threading is properly
> preserved).

FWIW, you can also get them via NNTP from gmane.io.

Andreas.

--

@ 2020-03-09 11:32             ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2020-03-09 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Earnshaw; +Cc: Richard Bradfield, overseers, gcc, gfortran

* Richard Earnshaw:

> On 09/03/2020 10:30, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> * Richard Bradfield:
>>
>>> It appears that since the migration (or whatever happened on the list
>>> over the weekend), the List-Id header is also being stripped from
>>> outbound mail. The last GCC mail I have where the header is intact was
>>> from Friday 6th.
>>
>> There weren't any List-Id headers before the migration.
>
> Yes there were (either that or the filters I've been using for years
> were psychic!)

Oh, right. They were added in 2006, after I had set up my filters
apparently. 8-/

So the difference is

vs

I guess now you need to perform a substring match.

* Re: List-Id header being stripped
@ 2020-03-09 12:28               ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2020-03-09 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Florian Weimer; +Cc: Richard Earnshaw, gcc

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020, Florian Weimer wrote:
> So the difference is

> vs

> I guess now you need to perform a substring match.

Or remove the string.  Is that doable?

(It does not add value, and "Gcc" is wrong spelling anyway.)

Gerald

* Re: text/x-* attachments stripped (was: Re: gcc ML archive: text/x-patch attachments no longer shown inline (was:Re: Mailing list stripping off attachments))
  2020-03-09 10:25       ` text/x-* attachments stripped (was: Re: gcc ML archive: text/x-patch attachments no longer shown inline (was:Re: Mailing list stripping off attachments)) Jakub Jelinek
@ 2020-03-09 13:57         ` Thomas König
  2020-03-09 19:49         ` text/x-* attachments stripped (was: Re: gcc ML archive: text/x-patch attachments no longer shown inline (was:Re: Mailing list stripping off attachments)) Thomas König
                           ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas König @ 2020-03-09 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I concur with what Jakub wrote. The new web interface is much less useful than the old one; a severe regression for developers, so to speak.

I also seem to have missed all discussion on this change (if there was anything). I do not understand why such a huge change was implemented that way, and who did this. Perhaos the person(s) responsible could speak up about this.

Will the old look and behavior be reinstated, at least in the most important aspects?

@ 2020-03-09 15:45           ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2020-03-09 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas König; +Cc: Jakub Jelinek, overseers, Tobias Burnus, fortran, gcc

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020, Thomas K?nig wrote:
> I also seem to have missed all discussion on this change (if there was
> anything). I do not understand why such a huge change was implemented
> that way, and who did this. Perhaos the person(s) responsible could
> speak up about this.

Let's be careful - most people working on this are volunteers, and
it's great that they took care and spent evenings and weekends.

Could this have gone a bit smoother? Yes.  More collaborative? Maybe.

But it's been old system and quite an upgrade, so changes (including
some inconvenient ones) are to be expected.  I have found and reported
and (with the little I can) helped address some issues and will continue
to do so -- and am confident this is heading in the right direction.

@ 2020-03-09 16:03             ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2020-03-09 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Thomas König, Gerald Pfeifer, Jakub Jelinek, overseers, gcc,
	fortran, Tobias Burnus

Hi -

Thanks for the kind words.

> Could this have gone a bit smoother? Yes.  More collaborative? Maybe.

We tried: the plan to migrate to mailman was included by reference
from the systemwide announcement blast two weeks ago:
https://sourceware.org/sourceware-wiki/MigrationStatus/

We continue to welcome advice & help.

- FChE

@ 2020-03-09 16:53           ` Nathan Sidwell
From: Nathan Sidwell @ 2020-03-09 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas König, Jakub Jelinek

On 3/9/20 9:57 AM, Thomas König wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I concur with what Jakub wrote. The new web interface is much less useful than the old one; a severe regression for developers, so to speak.

OMG I've just looked.  It's awful.  Sorry, but No.

For example
https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-patches/2020-March/date.html just
gives a list of emails, no dates shown.  There's no indication what the
ordering is -- and apparently it is not most recent first.

nathan

--
Nathan Sidwell

* Re: text/x-* attachments stripped (was: Re: gcc ML archive: text/x-patch attachments no longer shown inline
@ 2020-03-09 17:06             ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2020-03-09 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Sidwell

On Mär 09 2020, Nathan Sidwell wrote:

> For example https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-patches/2020-March/date.html
> just gives a list of emails, no dates shown.  There's no indication what
> the ordering is -- and apparently it is not most recent first.

Heading says:

Starting: Sun Mar 1 01:37:00 GMT 2020
Ending: Mon Mar 9 16:56:12 GMT 2020

Andreas.

--

@ 2020-03-09 17:07             ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2020-03-09 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Sidwell
  Cc: Thomas König, Jakub Jelinek, overseers, Tobias Burnus,
	gfortran, gcc mailing list

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 16:58, Nathan Sidwell wrote:

> On 3/9/20 9:57 AM, Thomas König wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I concur with what Jakub wrote. The new web interface is much less useful than the old one; a severe regression for developers, so to speak.
>
> OMG I've just looked.  It's awful.  Sorry, but No.
>
> For example
> https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-patches/2020-March/date.html just
> gives a list of emails, no dates shown.  There's no indication what the
> ordering is -- and apparently it is not most recent first.

Oldest first. Add #end to jump to the newest.

(That's a workaround for now, I'm still not fond of the new format)

* Re: text/x-* attachments stripped
@ 2020-03-09 17:20               ` Nathan Sidwell
From: Nathan Sidwell @ 2020-03-09 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely
  Cc: Thomas König, Jakub Jelinek, overseers, Tobias Burnus,
	gfortran, gcc mailing list

On 3/9/20 1:07 PM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 16:58, Nathan Sidwell wrote:
>>
>> On 3/9/20 9:57 AM, Thomas König wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I concur with what Jakub wrote. The new web interface is much less useful than the old one; a severe regression for developers, so to speak.
>>
>> OMG I've just looked.  It's awful.  Sorry, but No.
>>
>> For example
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-patches/2020-March/date.html just
>> gives a list of emails, no dates shown.  There's no indication what the
>> ordering is -- and apparently it is not most recent first.
>
> Oldest first. Add #end to jump to the newest.

You're joking, right?

nathan

--
Nathan Sidwell

                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas König @ 2020-03-09 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some comments.

Generally, I found the old format to be very good for navigating, and I
would like to have the new one match the old one as closely as possible.

> 1) the by date monthly list of mails used to be ordered newest to oldest
> mails first, now it is oldest to newest, so when dealing with new stuff one
> has to always scroll dow
Also important if one just wants to search; it is often the newest
(or newer) message that is of interest.

> 2) the dates and times of mails used to be shown (date as a section in the
> list, times in the left column), now there is nothing, so without clicking
> something it is hard to guess how exactly old it is

I concur, that is irritating. You can guess, but you don't get the same
sort of what's happening just from a glance.

> 3) the columns were nicer (date, subject left justified, email right
> justified, now there are no columns)

This does make it harder to see what's what, true.

> 4) some headers were shown, now there is nothing

Yep.

> 5) emails used to be sanitized against harvesters, now they aren't

Surely, there is a feature for this?

> 6) there used to be a Raw text URL to grab the raw email, now there is nothing

This is something that I have rarely used.

As far as the advantages go: A per-thread view is nice, but I don't
think having it outweighs the disadvantages above.

 From my personal preference, having 1), 2) and 3) (basically, let the
new interface look like the old one) would be great.

Regards

	Thomas

* Re: text/x-* attachments stripped (was: Re: gcc ML archive: text/x-patch attachments no longer shown inline (was:Re: Mailing list stripping off attachments))
  2020-03-09 10:25       ` text/x-* attachments stripped (was: Re: gcc ML archive: text/x-patch attachments no longer shown inline (was:Re: Mailing list stripping off attachments)) Jakub Jelinek
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-03-09 21:07         ` Joseph Myers
From: Joseph Myers @ 2020-03-09 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020, Jakub Jelinek via Overseers wrote:

> 5) emails used to be sanitized against harvesters, now they aren't

The pipermail munging feature was unusably bad (it messed up Texinfo diffs
very badly, including in the mbox version of the archive, e.g. "+@node" at
the start of a line was interpreted as an email address).

I'm very doubtful that munging that produces human-readable results
actually does anything against harvesters.  Spammers happily send mail to
addresses that don't exist at all (taken from message-ids, using random
names as local-parts, etc.); I expect they'll happily try generating
addresses from " at ".

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2020-03-09 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 19:57, Thomas König wrote:
> As far as the advantages go: A per-thread view is nice, but I don't
> think having it outweighs the disadvantages above.

We always had a threaded view:
https://gcc.gnu.org/legacy-ml/gcc-bugs/2020-03/threads.html
It just wasn't the default:
https://gcc.gnu.org/legacy-ml/gcc-bugs/2020-03/

* Re: text/x-* attachments stripped (was: Re: gcc ML archive: text/x-patch attachments no longer shown inline (was:Re: Mailing list stripping off attachments))
  2020-03-09 10:25       ` text/x-* attachments stripped (was: Re: gcc ML archive: text/x-patch attachments no longer shown inline (was:Re: Mailing list stripping off attachments)) Jakub Jelinek
                           ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-03-09 23:16         ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2020-03-09 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 10:28, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> 6) there used to be a Raw text URL to grab the raw email, now there is nothing

Based on info from #overseers ...

While you can't download the raw text of an individual email now, you
can get the entire month's mail in a compressed archive, from
https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-bugs/

Also, in each mail in the web archives the sender's address at the top
of the page is a hyperlink which includes the message-id, allowing you
to reply to it and preserve threading.
I've adapted the script I was using to fetch the "raw text" mail and
reply to it, the new version is attached.

[-- Attachment #2: get_gcc_mail --]

#!/bin/sh
# Download mail from GCC list archive.

if [[ $* == '' || $* == '--help' ]]
then
  echo "Usage: $0 https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/list/YYYY-MM/msgNNNNN.html" >&2
  test $# -eq 1
  exit
fi

urldecode() {
  awk -niord '{printf RT?$0chr("0x"substr(RT,2)):$0}' RS=%..
}

set -xe
draft=`mktemp /dev/shm/gcc-patches.XXXXXX`
for i in "$@"
do
  list=${i#*gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/}
  list=${list%%/*}
  echo "CC: $list@gcc.gnu.org" > $draft
  curl --silent --fail "$i" | sed -n '/LINK REL="made"/{s/^.*="mailto:/To: /;s/?Subject=Re:%20/%0aSubject: /;s/&In-Reply-To=/%0aIn-Reply-To: /;s/">$/%0a%0a/p}' | urldecode >> $draft
  mutt -H $draft -- "$(awk '/^To:/{print $2}' $draft)"
done

* Re: text/x-* attachments stripped (was: Re: gcc ML archive: text/x-patch attachments no longer shown inline (was:Re: Mailing list stripping off attachments))
  2020-03-09 10:25       ` text/x-* attachments stripped (was: Re: gcc ML archive: text/x-patch attachments no longer shown inline (was:Re: Mailing list stripping off attachments)) Jakub Jelinek
                           ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-04-03 14:29         ` Martin Liška
From: Martin Liška @ 2020-04-03 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/9/20 11:25 AM, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 10:46:31AM +0100, Tobias Burnus wrote:
>> Hi Thomas, hi Overseers
>>
>> I can confirm that those are stripped off!
>>
>> I did sent an email with three attachments:
>> * test.txt (text/plain)
>> * test.diff (text/x-diff)
>> * the company's disclaimer
>>
>> The attachment with 'text/x-diff' MIME was removed :-(
>> See: https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/fortran/current/054078.html
>
> A different mail archiver is now used it seems.
> For the mails before the sourceware move, one can access the old one too,
> e.g.
> https://gcc.gnu.org/legacy-ml/gcc-bugs/2020-03/
> is the old one vs.
> https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-bugs/2020-March/
> I've been using the gcc-bugs mail archive all the time in the past, but I'm
> afraid pipermail at least in current configuration is significant step back
> and I'll likely just use my mailbox from now on.
> Some reasons:
> 1) the by date monthly list of mails used to be ordered newest to oldest
> mails first, now it is oldest to newest, so when dealing with new stuff one
> has to always scroll down
> 2) the dates and times of mails used to be shown (date as a section in the
> list, times in the left column), now there is nothing, so without clicking
> something it is hard to guess how exactly old it is
> 3) the columns were nicer (date, subject left justified, email right
> justified, now there are no columns)
> 4) some headers were shown, now there is nothing
> 5) emails used to be sanitized against harvesters, now they aren't
> 6) there used to be a Raw text URL to grab the raw email, now there is nothing
>
> 	Jakub

Hello.

I agree with Jakub that the listed feature were nicer about the previous mail list
archiver. On the other hand, I agree that we want to use something more recent that
is support and under some development. That said, we did we decide to use mailman-2.1
which is a legacy release that can be shortly out of support? Have you consider
using version 3.3.0?

I'm willing to customize the mail archiver, it should be quite simple.
Would it be possible to apply local patches for a RHEL package that's install
on the system?

Thanks,
Martin

@ 2020-04-03 15:19           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2020-04-03 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

[non-overseers mailing lists dropped]
On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 04:29:51PM +0200, Martin Liška wrote:
>I agree with Jakub that the listed feature were nicer about the
>previous mail list archiver.  On the other hand, I agree that we want
>to use something more recent that is support and under some
>development.  That said, we did we decide to use mailman-2.1 which is a
>legacy release that can be shortly out of support?  Have you consider
>using version 3.3.0?

Yes, we have.  Check the overseers archives for past discussions about
the topic.

Short answer: We're trying to go with only RHEL available packages and
as few local modifications as possible.

* mailman customization
@ 2020-04-03 15:43           ` Martin Liška
From: Martin Liška @ 2020-04-03 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Jelinek, Tobias Burnus

Hello.

I believe we can quite easily customize mailman 2.1 to match our needs.
The biggest challenge I see is a proper testing as I don't see it easy
to set up a local mailman instance. I've got a patch that changes:

- by date sorting will be done in reverse order
- default link of e.g. https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-patches/2020-April/ will
   point to sorting by date
- email date is added to the listing

Further changes would be possible but I'll need a cooperation from oversees people.

Thanks,
Martin

[-- Attachment #2: mailman-improvement.patch --]

diff --git a/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py b/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py
index 4469193..2e186ff 100644
--- a/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py
+++ b/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py
@@ -637,7 +637,7 @@ class HyperArchive(pipermail.T):
     FILEMODE = 0660

     VERBOSE = 0
-    DEFAULTINDEX = 'thread'
+    DEFAULTINDEX = 'date'
     ARCHIVE_PERIOD = 'month'

     THREADLAZY = 0
diff --git a/Mailman/Archiver/HyperDatabase.py b/Mailman/Archiver/HyperDatabase.py
index 2475d47..3566425 100644
--- a/Mailman/Archiver/HyperDatabase.py
+++ b/Mailman/Archiver/HyperDatabase.py
@@ -71,7 +71,7 @@ class DumbBTree:
     def __sort(self, dirty=None):
         if self.__dirty == 1 or dirty:
             self.sorted = self.dict.keys()
-            self.sorted.sort()
+            self.sorted.sort(reverse = self.path.endswith('date'))
             self.__dirty = 0

     def lock(self):
diff --git a/templates/en/archidxentry.html b/templates/en/archidxentry.html
index f9bb57a..365e836 100644
--- a/templates/en/archidxentry.html
+++ b/templates/en/archidxentry.html
@@ -1,3 +1,5 @@
+<I>%(datestr)s
+</I>
 <LI><A HREF="%(filename)s">%(subject)s
 </A><A NAME="%(sequence)i">&nbsp;</A>
 <I>%(author)s

* Re: mailman customization
@ 2020-04-03 15:54             ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2020-04-03 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Liška

Hi -

> I believe we can quite easily customize mailman 2.1 to match our needs.
> The biggest challenge I see is a proper testing as I don't see it easy
> to set up a local mailman instance. I've got a patch that changes:

I suppose we can do some local RPM respins - as long as these changes
are small and rare.  Even with a deadish upstream, distro reporting
would be nice, at least at the centos/fedora point (?), as a reference
place to stash the patch and get us a bug#.

- FChE

* Re: mailman customization
@ 2020-04-03 15:58               ` Martin Liška
From: Martin Liška @ 2020-04-03 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler

On 4/3/20 5:54 PM, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Hi -
>
>> I believe we can quite easily customize mailman 2.1 to match our needs.
>> The biggest challenge I see is a proper testing as I don't see it easy
>> to set up a local mailman instance. I've got a patch that changes:
>
> I suppose we can do some local RPM respins - as long as these changes
> are small and rare.

That would be great. Should I create a git repo where we'll stack these changes?

>  Even with a deadish upstream, distro reporting
> would be nice, at least at the centos/fedora point (?), as a reference
> place to stash the patch and get us a bug#.

Can you please do it for me as I don't have any experience with Fedora
packaging?

Thank you,
Martin

> - FChE

* Re: mailman customization
@ 2020-04-03 16:30                 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2020-04-03 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Frank Ch. Eigler, Jakub Jelinek, Tobias Burnus, gfortran,
	overseers, gcc mailing list

On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 05:58:51PM +0200, Martin Liška wrote:
>On 4/3/20 5:54 PM, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
>>Hi -
>>
>>>I believe we can quite easily customize mailman 2.1 to match our needs.
>>>The biggest challenge I see is a proper testing as I don't see it easy
>>>to set up a local mailman instance. I've got a patch that changes:
>>
>>I suppose we can do some local RPM respins - as long as these changes
>>are small and rare.
>
>That would be great. Should I create a git repo where we'll stack these changes?
>
>> Even with a deadish upstream, distro reporting
>>would be nice, at least at the centos/fedora point (?), as a reference
>>place to stash the patch and get us a bug#.
>
>Can you please do it for me as I don't have any experience with Fedora
>packaging?

If you're volunteering to maintain your patch, perhaps you should try
learning how to do that?

* Re: mailman customization
@ 2020-04-03 16:36               ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2020-04-03 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Martin Liška, Jakub Jelinek, Tobias Burnus, gfortran,
	overseers, gcc mailing list

On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 11:54:20AM -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
>> I believe we can quite easily customize mailman 2.1 to match our needs.
>> The biggest challenge I see is a proper testing as I don't see it easy
>> to set up a local mailman instance. I've got a patch that changes:
>
>I suppose we can do some local RPM respins - as long as these changes
>are small and rare.  Even with a deadish upstream, distro reporting
>would be nice, at least at the centos/fedora point (?), as a reference
>place to stash the patch and get us a bug#.

I don't think most of the patch would be acceptable upstream since it
changes default behavior without any way to revert it.

* Re: mailman customization
@ 2020-04-03 16:42                   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2020-04-03 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 12:30:57PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 05:58:51PM +0200, Martin Liška wrote:
>>On 4/3/20 5:54 PM, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
>>>Hi -

>>>I suppose we can do some local RPM respins - as long as these changes
>>>are small and rare.
>>
>>That would be great. Should I create a git repo where we'll stack these changes?
>>
>>> Even with a deadish upstream, distro reporting
>>>would be nice, at least at the centos/fedora point (?), as a reference
>>>place to stash the patch and get us a bug#.
>>
>>Can you please do it for me as I don't have any experience with Fedora
>>packaging?
>
>If you're volunteering to maintain your patch, perhaps you should try
>learning how to do that?

I'll generate this rpm + patches along with instructions on how to do it
in the future.

cgf

* Re: mailman customization not quite right yet
@ 2020-04-03 20:52                     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2020-04-03 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 12:42:45PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>I'll generate this rpm + patches along with instructions on how to do it
>in the future.

I tried testing the, I think, least intrusive part of this patch set:

diff --git a/templates/en/archidxentry.html b/templates/en/archidxentry.html
index f9bb57a..365e836 100644
--- a/templates/en/archidxentry.html
+++ b/templates/en/archidxentry.html
@@ -1,3 +1,5 @@
+<I>%(datestr)s
+</I>
 <LI><A HREF="%(filename)s">%(subject)s
 </A><A NAME="%(sequence)i">&nbsp;</A>
 <I>%(author)s

It didn't work right after regenerating the test-list archive.  It
resulted in a web page that looked like (cut from the web page):

    2020 Archives by date

        More info on this list...

    Starting: Sun Feb 9 02:40:00 GMT 2020
    Ending: Fri Apr 3 17:28:10 GMT 2020
    Messages: 37

        Test   Christopher Faylor via test-list %(datestr)s
        Inspect headers   Christopher Faylor %(datestr)s

i.e., the %{datestr}s is being treated literally.  I don't think that
the template change relies on the rest of the patch so this isn't
doing what we'd think.

I do have an rpm built with these changes but it obviously isn't quite
ready for prime time.

I have been experimenting with adding an extra "recent" entry in the
mailing list that looks more like ezmlm.  You can see it here:

https://sourceware.org/pipermail/test-list/2020/recent.html

When turned on, it adds a "[ recent ]" link to appropriate pages.
Clicking on mailto's on the summary page open your mailer with the
mailing list in the To:, the original sender in the Cc: (since I now
understand that this is really important), and appropriate In-Reply-To's
to maintain threading.

I accomplish this by running a perl script whenever mailman has finished
with a "post" operation.  The script iterates over the html message
files to produce an ezmlm-like archive.  This isn't perfect yet but I
thought I'd offer it as a possible alternative to patching mailman.

@ 2020-04-04  9:20                       ` Martin Liška
From: Martin Liška @ 2020-04-04  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 12:42:45PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> I'll generate this rpm + patches along with instructions on how to do it
>> in the future.
>
> I tried testing the, I think, least intrusive part of this patch set:
>
> diff --git a/templates/en/archidxentry.html b/templates/en/archidxentry.html
> index f9bb57a..365e836 100644
> --- a/templates/en/archidxentry.html
> +++ b/templates/en/archidxentry.html
> @@ -1,3 +1,5 @@
> +<I>%(datestr)s
> +</I>
>   <LI><A HREF="%(filename)s">%(subject)s
>   </A><A NAME="%(sequence)i">&nbsp;</A>
>   <I>%(author)s
>
> It didn't work right after regenerating the test-list archive.  It
> resulted in a web page that looked like (cut from the web page):
>
>      2020 Archives by date

>          More info on this list...
>
>      Starting: Sun Feb 9 02:40:00 GMT 2020
>      Ending: Fri Apr 3 17:28:10 GMT 2020
>      Messages: 37
>
>      >>>>    %(datestr)s  <<<<
>          Test   Christopher Faylor via test-list %(datestr)s
>          Inspect headers   Christopher Faylor %(datestr)s
>
> i.e., the %{datestr}s is being treated literally.  I don't think that
> the template change relies on the rest of the patch so this isn't
> doing what we'd think.

Hello.

Thank you for the testing of my patch! Yes, it looks there's a missing
exported datestr variably.

> I do have an rpm built with these changes but it obviously isn't quite
> ready for prime time.
>
> I have been experimenting with adding an extra "recent" entry in the
> mailing list that looks more like ezmlm.  You can see it here:
>
> https://sourceware.org/pipermail/test-list/2020/recent.html
>
> When turned on, it adds a "[ recent ]" link to appropriate pages.
> Clicking on mailto's on the summary page open your mailer with the
> mailing list in the To:, the original sender in the Cc: (since I now
> understand that this is really important), and appropriate In-Reply-To's
> to maintain threading.
>
> I accomplish this by running a perl script whenever mailman has finished
> with a "post" operation.  The script iterates over the html message
> files to produce an ezmlm-like archive.  This isn't perfect yet but I
> thought I'd offer it as a possible alternative to patching mailman.

... but I must confirm that this looks nice and I bet other people will
like it as well. I support that.

Thanks,
Martin

@ 2020-05-05  9:57                         ` Martin Liška
From: Martin Liška @ 2020-05-05  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/4/20 11:20 AM, Martin Liška via Overseers wrote:
> ... but I must confirm that this looks nice and I bet other people will
> like it as well. I support that.

Hello.

Is there a progress with that please?

Thanks,
Martin

* Re: mailman customization not quite right yet
@ 2020-05-05 14:23                           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2020-05-05 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 05, 2020 at 11:57:30AM +0200, Martin Liška wrote:
>On 4/4/20 11:20 AM, Martin Liška via Overseers wrote:
>>... but I must confirm that this looks nice and I bet other people will
>>like it as well. I support that.
>
>Is there a progress with that please?

I'm having a little problem with RSI currently so my volunteer
activities are slightly curtailed.  I'll pick this up when
this flare up subsides.