* FAQ and Documentation translation to other languages
       [not found] ` <CACytpF_W=rz5dF2PcZPQw-FrchcGo9=DxtCxkObJvV78uSECFw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-07-19 20:39   ` SPC
From: SPC @ 2012-07-19 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello. I'm a Cygwin lists subscriber (with some problems from time to
time to send mails but this is another story).

The message about outdated FAQs of yesterday let me think in the
general lack of translations of Unix-like-items documentation to
spanish language.

Exists something traslated under Cygwin to Spanish ? Some kind of team
doing it ?

In negative case I could dedicate some time to this project, including
translations inside source code.

--
Gracias | Regards

Saludos - Greetings - Freundliche Grüße - Salutations
--
Sergio Pedraja

twitter: @sergio_pedraja
skype: Sergio Pedraja
-----
No crea todo lo que ve, ni crea que está viéndolo todo

* Re: FAQ and Documentation translation to other languages
@ 2012-07-20  8:48     ` Corinna Vinschen
       [not found]       ` <CACytpF8vDqQRFQsHY0b+fDX92jPs7VVBDO=MgptTYQe5JdYzOQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-07-20  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul 19 22:38, SPC wrote:
> Hello. I'm a Cygwin lists subscriber (with some problems from time to
> time to send mails but this is another story).
>
> The message about outdated FAQs of yesterday let me think in the
> general lack of translations of Unix-like-items documentation to
> spanish language.
>
> Exists something traslated under Cygwin to Spanish ? Some kind of team
> doing it ?
>
> In negative case I could dedicate some time to this project, including
> translations inside source code.

I hope you mean the documentation sources.  I'm not fluent in spanish
and converting my english comments in the Cygwin sources to spanish
would left me a bit puzzled :)

The documentation is written by the developers.  There's no doc team nor
a translation team, given that we have only a tiny number of contributors
to the Cygwin package codebase.  If you're interested in providing a
spanish translation of the docs or the FAQs, we can certainly arrange a
side project for translations in CVS, and the necessary web space to
publish them.

If you're interested, we could discuss the howto in the cygwin-apps
mailing list.

Btw., the same goes for anybody who would like to provide translations
in any other language, naturally.  I would just like to ask that you
make sure you mean that seriously and don't drop off right at the next
stop.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: FAQ and Documentation translation to other languages
       [not found]         ` <CACytpF8zAfKC+_e5mCmP_0m4Yz7nqkx1kzagX7eUVfTG7vkJaw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-07-20 21:13           ` SPC
From: SPC @ 2012-07-20 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi. I'll try (again) to send this reply.

I understand your point about dedication to this project, of course.
And is a matter to discuss to have a correct idea of the whole
dedication needed before take a decision about it .

In the other hand, your proposal about create a side project appears
to be the logical way.

Regards

Sergio

@ 2012-07-24 19:09     ` David Sastre Medina
From: David Sastre Medina @ 2012-07-24 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 10:58:18PM +0200, SPC wrote:
> On the comments of Andrey, I've started with the translation into
> Spanish (from Spain) this afternoon. I have used the Google translator
> for a first translation and then review the results in detail. In this
> case the translation to Spanish provided by Google was acceptable.
>
> Of course, I didn't front yet the body of the FAQ :-)

If would be nice if you could share a link to your work. I'll be glad
to review your translation if you like the idea.

--
Primary key fingerprint: AD8F BDC0 5A2C FD5F A179  60E7 F79B AB04 5299 EC56

* Re: FAQ and Documentation translation to other languages
@ 2012-07-22 20:58   ` SPC
From: SPC @ 2012-07-22 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On the comments of Andrey, I've started with the translation into
Spanish (from Spain) this afternoon. I have used the Google translator
for a first translation and then review the results in detail. In this
case the translation to Spanish provided by Google was acceptable.

Of course, I didn't front yet the body of the FAQ :-)

Regards
Sergio

2012/7/22 Andrey Repin

@ 2012-07-22 14:05 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2012-07-22 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E], cygwin

Greetings, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]!

> I've wondered about this.  My experience with Google Translate on
> non-technical text to French (which I speak reasonably, though far from
> fluently) is that it often works very well, though occasionally it
> generates a bit of utter nonsense.

It generates utter nonsense 50% of the time, other 50% it is barely
understandable, or at least ambiguous.
This goes into both directions, English -> foreign and foreign -> English.
This was one of the reasons, why I at least cat read/write English.

>  My question is whether it is good enough for something like a FAQ?  Should
> this be officially recommended?

I wouldn't do so. This may cause more harm, than the potential good that you
may gain from it.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: FAQ and Documentation translation to other languages
@ 2012-07-21 17:47     ` David Sastre Medina
From: David Sastre Medina @ 2012-07-21 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 07:38:15PM +0200, SPC wrote:
<snip>
> about the translation from other idioms to Spanish. I wondered about
s/idiom/language/

--

@ 2012-07-21 17:38   ` SPC
From: SPC @ 2012-07-21 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

My experience with Google Translate is not bad, but David is right
about the translation from other idioms to Spanish. I wondered about
that many times. he only reasonable explain is related with the option
available under Google Translate to suggest a better translation.

For this reason, the use of GT to *begin* with a translation to
Spanish is reasonable only in a very limited context. You need to work
 *a lot* directly with the text object of translation.

With independence of this, as I told previously, I should like to try it.

Regards
Sergio

2012/7/21 David Sastre Medina

@ 2012-07-21 17:01 ` David Sastre Medina
From: David Sastre Medina @ 2012-07-21 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2012-07-21 16:18 Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2012-07-21 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen sent the following at Friday, July 20, 2012 4:48 AM
>On Jul 19 22:38, SPC wrote:
>> Hello. I'm a Cygwin lists subscriber (with some problems from time to
>> time to send mails but this is another story).
>>
>> The message about outdated FAQs of yesterday let me think in the
>> general lack of translations of Unix-like-items documentation to
>> spanish language.
>>
>> Exists something translated under Cygwin to spanish ? Some kind of team
>> doing it ?
>>
>> In negative case I could dedicate some time to this project, including
>> translations inside source code.
>
>I hope you mean the documentation sources. I'm not fluent in spanish and
>converting my english comments in the Cygwin sources to spanish would
>left me a bit puzzled :)
>
>The documentation is written by the developers. There's no doc team
>nor a translation team, given that we have only a tiny number of
>contributors to the Cygwin package codebase. If you're interested
>in providing a spanish translation of the docs or the FAQs, we can
>certainly arrange a side project for translations in CVS, and the
>necessary web space to publish them.
>
>If you're interested, we could discuss the howto in the cygwin-apps
>mailing list.
>
>Btw., the same goes for anybody who would like to provide translations
>in any other language, naturally. I would just like to ask that you make
>sure you mean that seriously and don't drop off right at the next stop.

I've wondered about this.  My experience with Google Translate on
non-technical text to French (which I speak reasonably, though far from
fluently) is that it often works very well, though occasionally it
generates a bit of utter nonsense.  My question is whether it is good
enough for something like a FAQ?  Should this be officially recommended?

For Corinna's expert opinion plus recently discussed languages:
  German: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fcygwin.com%2Ffaq.html&act=url&tl=de
  Spanish: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fcygwin.com%2Ffaq.html&act=url&tl=es
  Armenian: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fcygwin.com%2Ffaq.html&act=url&tl=hy

- Barry