public inbox for mauve-discuss@sourceware.org
* Mauve patches.
@ 2004-04-06  7:55 Thomas
From: Thomas @ 2004-04-06  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mauve-discuss, GNU Classpath

* Re: Mauve patches.
@ 2004-04-06  8:47 ` Michael Koch
From: Michael Koch @ 2004-04-06  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas, mauve-discuss, GNU Classpath

Am Dienstag, 6. April 2004 09:56 schrieb Thomas:
> I've submitted several patches to both list and hear nothing; is
> there anyone who can comment/commit on these?

We are all doing this in our freetime so we need some time nee out
backlogs sometimes.

Personally I have Mauve CVS access but I'm using not using ant so I cant
really vote on your patch. I think Tom Tromey or Mark Wielaard will
look into this in some days. If not please ping me and I will do it.

Michael

* Re: Mauve patches.
@ 2004-04-08 19:34   ` Thomas Zander
From: Thomas Zander @ 2004-04-08 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mauve-discuss; +Cc: GNU Classpath

* Re: Mauve patches.
@ 2004-04-08 19:50     ` Michael Koch
From: Michael Koch @ 2004-04-08 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Zander, mauve-discuss; +Cc: GNU Classpath

Am Donnerstag, 8. April 2004 21:33 schrieb Thomas Zander:
> I'd really like to see my stuff committed, or commented on if just
> committing is unacceptable.
>
> Are there any people actually maintaining mauve?  Nobody commented on
> the fixed needed for the website either.
> In short who is the core maintainer for mauve?

Mauve has no real maintainer. There are just some people that commit
stuff in a chaotic way.

Michael

> On Tuesday 06 April 2004 10:46, Michael Koch wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 6. April 2004 09:56 schrieb Thomas:
> > > I've submitted several patches to both list and hear nothing; is
> > > there anyone who can comment/commit on these?
> >
> > We are all doing this in our freetime so we need some time nee out
> > backlogs sometimes.
> >
> > Personally I have Mauve CVS access but I'm using not using ant so I
> > cant really vote on your patch. I think Tom Tromey or Mark Wielaard
> > will look into this in some days. If not please ping me and I will
> > do it.
> >

> > Michael

* Re: Mauve patches.
@ 2004-04-08 19:58       ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2004-04-08 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Koch; +Cc: Thomas Zander, mauve-discuss, GNU Classpath

Michael Koch writes:
 > Am Donnerstag, 8. April 2004 21:33 schrieb Thomas Zander:
 > > I'd really like to see my stuff committed, or commented on if just
 > > committing is unacceptable.
 > >
 > > Are there any people actually maintaining mauve?  Nobody commented on
 > > the fixed needed for the website either.
 > > In short who is the core maintainer for mauve?
 >
 > Mauve has no real maintainer. There are just some people that commit
 > stuff in a chaotic way.

I have some patches for Mauve.  Thomas Zander's patch is one of them,
but it needs a little change to the ChangeLog entry to make it
standard.

I was intending to do it at the start of this week, sorry.

Andrew.

* Re: Mauve patches.
@ 2004-04-11  6:48         ` Thomas Zander
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas Zander @ 2004-04-11  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: Michael Koch, mauve-discuss, GNU Classpath

* Re: Mauve patches.
@ 2004-04-11 12:22           ` David Lichteblau
From: David Lichteblau @ 2004-04-11 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Zander; +Cc: mauve-discuss

Quoting Thomas Zander (zander@javalobby.org):
> I hope you'll agree that its more important to have people creating patches
> and moving the project forward then to always have a 100% correct CVS.
> (problems can be fixed post-commit)

No!

David
--
Common Lisp is the Borg of programming languages
	-- Bill Clementson

* Re: Mauve patches.
@ 2004-04-11 15:56           ` Archie Cobbs
From: Archie Cobbs @ 2004-04-11 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Zander; +Cc: Andrew Haley, GNU Classpath, mauve-discuss, Michael Koch

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=UNKNOWN-8BIT, Size: 814 bytes --]

Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Thursday 08 April 2004 21:56, Andrew Haley wrote:
> >  > > I'd really like to see my stuff committed, or commented on if just
> >  > > committing is unacceptable.
> > I was intending to do it at the start of this week, sorry.
>
> Its next week now; so your schedule was probably too full. (No offence!)
>
> I hope you'll agree that its more important to have people creating patches
> and moving the project forward then to always have a 100% correct CVS.
> (problems can be fixed post-commit)
> In that case; what about providing me with a writable CVS account so I
> won't have to bother you anymore.

Me too :-)

-Archie

* Re: Mauve patches.
@ 2004-04-11 17:20             ` Thomas Zander
From: Thomas Zander @ 2004-04-11 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mauve-discuss; +Cc: David Lichteblau

* Re: Mauve patches.
@ 2004-04-11 18:57               ` David Lichteblau
                                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Lichteblau @ 2004-04-11 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Zander, mauve-discuss

Hi Thomas,

Quoting Thomas Zander (zander@javalobby.org):
> On Sunday 11 April 2004 14:22, David Lichteblau wrote:
> > Quoting Thomas Zander (zander@javalobby.org):
> > > I hope you'll agree that its more important to have people creating
> > > patches and moving the project forward then to always have a 100%
> > > correct CVS. (problems can be fixed post-commit)
> > No!
> David; I have not seen you before; an introduction might be in place.
> After we found out what your part in Mauve is;

I'm just yet another Mauve user.

> would you care to elaborate on your position?

Sure: "Problems should be fixed pre-commit."

BTW, to ask a technical question, is the "tagging" of Mauve testcases
used in practice?  Much of the complexity of the existing build systems
stems from the fact that tests are selected by a non-trivial script.  If
not for the tags, something like "find . -name \*.java" would be enough
to select all files.

Mark Wielaard sent an analysis of test suite failures for current
Classpath, which I found very helpful (thanks!).  When I am interested
to see whether the current Classpath version "works", which tags should
be used?  All of them, right?

Unless I misunderstood Thomas' question, he could not compile all of
Mauve because his script tried to compile _everything_, as opposed to
those files usually chosen by the standard build system.  I would find
it a little confusing if Mauve provided two build systems, one which
uses tags and one which does not.

Thanks,
David

* Re: Mauve patches.
@ 2004-04-11 19:37                 ` Thomas Zander
From: Thomas Zander @ 2004-04-11 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Lichteblau; +Cc: mauve-discuss

* Re: Mauve patches.
@ 2004-04-12  4:12                   ` C. Brian Jones
From: C. Brian Jones @ 2004-04-12  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Zander; +Cc: David Lichteblau, mauve-discuss

On Sun, 2004-04-11 at 15:36, Thomas Zander wrote:

> > Unless I misunderstood Thomas' question, he could not compile all of
> > Mauve because his script tried to compile _everything_, as opposed to
> > those files usually chosen by the standard build system.  I would find
> > it a little confusing if Mauve provided two build systems, one which
> > uses tags and one which does not.
>
> You did misunderstand my question;
> the question is that I created a build system that only tests the classes I
> select (based on ant) and I want it committed; but there seems to be no
> maintainer that can comment on, or commit the patch.
>
> My question therefor (to be exact) was that if some more freedom for
> not-yet-initiated coders is allowed, I would like to have a writable
> cvs-account which means I can continue working without waiting for more
> then a week.

Started doing some work over the weekend to add some tests to Mauve
based on another software package I've made that has non-Mauve related
functionality.  Anyway it seems to be somewhat difficult to add
something like this to Mauve, that has extensive data sets, a small
library not in the gnu.* namespace, etc.  I've started by trying to
define the problem and generalize on potential solutions.

Problems

* Cannot be installed (packaged, used repeatedly for various cases from
same install)
* No integrated pass/fail/expected/unexpected summary
* Repeated executions require knowing inner workings of
various scripts
* Integration of additional libraries difficult at best
* Integration of VM specific tests also difficult

Solutions

* Change configure script to be installation oriented, similar for
Makefile.am (started this already)
* New script(s) for running mauve to compile, execute, report
results (consider using dejagnu)
	* Specify java compiler at runtime
        * Specify vm at runtime
        * Specify temporary directory at runtime
	* Specify additional libraries/resources at runtime
	* Specify additional tests at runtime

Basically all the cruft and gorp in configure.in, Makefile.am, choose,
etc. gets done over.  The TAGS system is broken, it doesn't allow one to
specify that a particular test is only valid for 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and not
1.4+, essential to handle deprecated methods that eventually get
removed.  I have no problem doing this work, my problem is all the
people that depend on the current directory structure, build process,
etc. that will scream if something is changed.  Anyway I have started
the work, when I have a patch I'll let the list review.  Don't hold your
breath, I'm slow sometimes.  :)

Thanks,
Brian
--
Brian Jones <cbj@gnu.org>

* Re: Mauve patches.
@ 2004-04-13 13:22                 ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2004-04-13 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Lichteblau; +Cc: Thomas Zander, mauve-discuss

David Lichteblau writes:

 > BTW, to ask a technical question, is the "tagging" of Mauve testcases
 > used in practice?

Yes, it is.

 > Much of the complexity of the existing build systems stems from the
 > fact that tests are selected by a non-trivial script.  If not for
 > the tags, something like "find . -name \*.java" would be enough to
 > select all files.

Well, sooner or later we'll be working with 1.5 (Java++?  :-) and at that
point it'll be pretty useful.  So let's keep it, please.

 > Unless I misunderstood Thomas' question, he could not compile all
 > of Mauve because his script tried to compile _everything_, as
 > opposed to those files usually chosen by the standard build system.
 > I would find it a little confusing if Mauve provided two build
 > systems, one which uses tags and one which does not.

Yes.  I suppose Thomas' Ant script should do the right thing with
respect to the tags.

Andrew.

* Re: Mauve patches.
@ 2004-04-13 13:55                   ` Thomas
From: Thomas @ 2004-04-13 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mauve-discuss

* Re: Mauve patches.
@ 2004-04-13 14:30                     ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2004-04-13 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas; +Cc: mauve-discuss

Thomas writes:

 > On Tuesday 13 April 2004 15:19, you wrote:
 > > David Lichteblau writes:
 > >  > Unless I misunderstood Thomas' question, he could not compile all
 > >  > of Mauve because his script tried to compile _everything_, as
 > >  > opposed to those files usually chosen by the standard build system.
 > >  > I would find it a little confusing if Mauve provided two build
 > >  > systems, one which uses tags and one which does not.
 > >
 > > Yes.  I suppose Thomas' Ant script should do the right thing with
 > > respect to the tags.
 >
 > The selecting of files based on some 'tag in their content is quite easy in
 > ant; its a standard target.
 > I could add an ant-build target that builds based on tags.

Excellent.  Now I feel not so bad for being slow to commit...

Andrew.

* Re: Mauve patches.
@ 2004-04-13 17:14                       ` Thomas Zander
From: Thomas Zander @ 2004-04-13 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: mauve-discuss

* Re: Mauve patches.
@ 2004-04-13 17:45                         ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2004-04-13 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Zander; +Cc: mauve-discuss

Thomas Zander writes:

 > On Tuesday 13 April 2004 16:29, Andrew Haley wrote:
 > > Thomas writes:
 > >  > On Tuesday 13 April 2004 15:19, you wrote:
 > >  > > Yes.  I suppose Thomas' Ant script should do the right thing with
 > >  > > respect to the tags.
 > >  >
 > >  > The selecting of files based on some 'tag in their content is quite
 > >  > easy in ant; its a standard target.
 > >  > I could add an ant-build target that builds based on tags.
 > >
 > > Excellent.  Now I feel not so bad for being slow to commit...
 >
 > Hmm; I kind of (really) like working in CVS, its like a net that catches
 > you when you fail (and more).
 > What about you commit first; then I can safely start to work on adding
 > extra features.

Alright.

 > I mean; all the questions I posed have been quietly been ignored, I'm not
 > really under the impression Mauve is getting the attention it deserves; I
 > honestly begin starting to wonder if putting it in a CVS on sourceforge or
 > whereever, and more freely giving out CVS accounts is such a bad idea.

Actually, all the questions you posed have not quietly been ignored.
I have answered some of them.

 > Some rights to commit and/or to clean up the webpages is the only
 > thing standing in my way to really help make Mauve move forward!

That and the fact that as yet you have not managed correctly to submit
a patch.  I have attached a version here, FYI.

I don't think I've broken anything with the checkin, but please check.

Andrew.

2004-04-13  Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org>

        * build.xml: New file.
        * gnu/anttask/RunTests.java: New file.
        * gnu/testlet/SimpleTestHarness.java (getFailures): New method.

        * gnu/testlet/javax/swing/JLabel/Icon.java: New file.
        * gnu/testlet/javax/swing/JLabel/Mnemonic.java: New file.

        * gnu/testlet/java/text/SimpleDateFormat/attribute.java
        (test_FieldPos): Locals no longer static.

Index: build.xml
RCS file: build.xml
diff -N build.xml
*** /dev/null	1 Jan 1970 00:00:00 -0000
--- build.xml	13 Apr 2004 17:38:48 -0000
***************
*** 0 ****
--- 1,87 ----
+ <?xml version="1.0"?>
+ <!--Copyright (c) 2004 Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org>
+
+     This file is part of Mauve.
+
+     Mauve is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
+     it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
+     the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
+     any later version.
+
+     Mauve is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
+     but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
+     MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
+     GNU General Public License for more details.
+
+     You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
+     along with Mauve; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to
+     the Free Software Foundation, 59 Temple Place - Suite 330,
+     Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA. -->
+
+ <project name="mauve" default="test" basedir=".">
+
+     <!-- this loads the ant global properties -->
+     <property file="${user.home}/.ant-global.properties"/>
+
+     <property name="src" value="."/>
+     <property name="build" value="build"/>
+     <property name="docs" value="doc"/>
+
+     <!-- clean up .class and .jar files -->
+     <target name="clean" description="Clean out compiled files">
+         <!-- call clean from example-buildfile -->
+         <delete dir="${build}"/>
+         <delete dir="${docs}"/>
+     </target>
+
+     <!-- INIT creates the required directories and files -->
+     <target name="init">
+         <tstamp/>
+         <mkdir dir="${build}"/>
+         <mkdir dir="${docs}"/>
+         <!-- if ant runs; we can be pretty sure these are correct. -->
+         <filter token="SRCDIR" value="${user.dir}"/>
+         <filter token="TMPDIR" value="${java.io.tmpdir}" />
+         <filter token="CHECK_PATH_SEPARATOR" value="${path.separator}"/>
+         <filter token="CHECK_FILE_SEPARATOR" value="${file.separator}"/>
+         <copy file="${src}/gnu/testlet/config.java.in"
+                 tofile="${src}/gnu/testlet/config.java"
+                 verbose="true"
+                 filtering="true" />
+     </target>
+
+     <!-- CLASSPATH -->
+     <path id="myclass.path">
+         <pathelement location="${build}" />
+     </path>
+
+     <!-- compiles all the sources -->
+     <target name="compile" depends="init" description="Compile all files">
+         <javac srcdir="${src}" destdir="${build}"
+             includes="gnu/**/*.java"
+             exlucdes="gnu/testlet/BinaryCompatibility/**"
+             classpathref="myclass.path"
+             debug="on" />
+     </target>
+
+     <target name="doc" depends="init" description="Build javadoc">
+         <javadoc packagenames="gnu.testlet"
+             defaultexcludes="yes"
+             destdir="${docs}/"
+             classpathref="myclass.path"
+             windowtitle="Mauve test API" >
+             <doctitle><![CDATA[<h1>Mauve test API</h1>]]></doctitle>
+         </javadoc>
+     </target>
+
+     <target name="test" depends="init,compile" description="run the tests">
+         <taskdef name="mauve" classname="gnu.anttask.RunTests" classpath="build"/>
+         <mauve debug="false"
+             verbose="false"
+             haltonfailure="false"
+             failonerror="true">
+             <fileset dir="${build}" includes="gnu/testlet/java/**" />
+             <fileset dir="${build}" includes="gnu/testlet/javax/**" />
+         </mauve>
+     </target>
+ </project>
Index: gnu/anttask/RunTests.java
RCS file: gnu/anttask/RunTests.java
diff -N gnu/anttask/RunTests.java
*** /dev/null	1 Jan 1970 00:00:00 -0000
--- gnu/anttask/RunTests.java	13 Apr 2004 17:38:48 -0000
***************
*** 0 ****
--- 1,101 ----
+ /*
[...]
+ package gnu.anttask;
+
+ import gnu.testlet.*;
+ import java.io.*;
+ import java.util.*;
+
+ import org.apache.tools.ant.*;
+ import org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.*;
+ import org.apache.tools.ant.types.*;
+
+ public class RunTests extends MatchingTask {
+     private boolean verbose=false, debug=false, haltOnFailure=false, failOnError=true;
+     private Path sourceDir=null;
+     private Vector filesets=new Vector();
+
+     public void execute() throws BuildException {
+         MyTestHarness harness = new MyTestHarness (verbose, debug, haltOnFailure);
+
+         Iterator iter = filesets.iterator();
+         while(iter.hasNext()) {
+             FileSet fs = (FileSet) iter.next();
+             try {
+                 DirectoryScanner ds = fs.getDirectoryScanner(getProject());
+                 Iterator classNames = Arrays.asList(ds.getIncludedFiles()).iterator();
+                 while(classNames.hasNext()) {
+                     String filename = (String) classNames.next();
+                     if(! filename.endsWith(".class"))
+                         continue; // only class files
+                     if(filename.lastIndexOf("$") > filename.lastIndexOf(File.separator))
+                         continue; // no inner classeS
+                     filename=filename.substring(0, filename.length()-6);
+                     filename=filename.replace(File.separatorChar, '.');
+
+                     harness.runTest(filename);
+                 }
+             } catch (BuildException be) {
+                 // directory doesn't exist or is not readable
+                 if (failOnError)
+                     throw be;
+                 else
+                     log(be.getMessage(),Project.MSG_WARN);
+             }
+         }
+     }
+
+     public void setVerbose(boolean verbose) {
+         this.verbose = verbose;
+     }
+
+     public void setDebug(boolean debug) {
+         this.debug = debug;
+     }
+
+     public void setHaltOnFailure(boolean on) {
+         haltOnFailure = on;
+     }
+
+     public void setFailOnError(boolean on) {
+         failOnError = on;
+     }
+
+     public void addFileset(FileSet set) {
+         filesets.add(set);
+     }
+
+
+     private static class MyTestHarness extends SimpleTestHarness {
+         private boolean haltOnFailure;
+         // extend it b/cause someone thought it should not have public constructors.
+         public MyTestHarness(boolean verbose, boolean debug, boolean haltOnFailure) {
+             super(verbose, debug, false);
+             this.haltOnFailure = haltOnFailure;
+         }
+
+         protected void runTest (String name) throws BuildException {
+             super.runtest(name);
+             if(haltOnFailure && getFailures() > 0)
+                 throw new BuildException("Failures");
+         }
+     }
+ }
Index: gnu/testlet/SimpleTestHarness.java
RCS file: /cvs/mauve/mauve/gnu/testlet/SimpleTestHarness.java,v
retrieving revision 1.38
diff -p -2 -c -r1.38 SimpleTestHarness.java
*** gnu/testlet/SimpleTestHarness.java	29 Aug 2003 14:52:21 -0000	1.38
--- gnu/testlet/SimpleTestHarness.java	13 Apr 2004 17:38:48 -0000
*************** public class SimpleTestHarness
*** 51,54 ****
--- 51,59 ----
    }

+
+   protected int getFailures() {
+     return failures;
+   }
+
    public void check (boolean result)
    {
Index: gnu/testlet/java/text/SimpleDateFormat/attribute.java
RCS file: /cvs/mauve/mauve/gnu/testlet/java/text/SimpleDateFormat/attribute.java,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -p -2 -c -r1.1 attribute.java
*** gnu/testlet/java/text/SimpleDateFormat/attribute.java	24 Mar 2004 20:21:29 -0000	1.1
--- gnu/testlet/java/text/SimpleDateFormat/attribute.java	13 Apr 2004 17:38:48 -0000
*************** public class attribute implements Testle
*** 158,170 ****
  	SimpleDateFormat format = new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy.MM.dd hh:kk:mm:ss 'zone' zzzz");
  	Date date = new Date();
! 	static Format.Field[] fields = new Format.Field[] {
  	  DateFormat.Field.YEAR,  DateFormat.Field.MONTH, DateFormat.Field.DAY_OF_MONTH,
  	  DateFormat.Field.HOUR1, DateFormat.Field.HOUR_OF_DAY1, DateFormat.Field.MINUTE,
  	  DateFormat.Field.SECOND
  	};
! 	static int[] begin = new int[] {
  	  0, 5, 8, /***/  11, 14, 17, 20
  	};
! 	static int[] end = new int[] {
  	  4, 7, 10, /***/ 13, 16, 19, 22
  	};
--- 158,170 ----
  	SimpleDateFormat format = new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy.MM.dd hh:kk:mm:ss 'zone' zzzz");
  	Date date = new Date();
! 	Format.Field[] fields = new Format.Field[] {
  	  DateFormat.Field.YEAR,  DateFormat.Field.MONTH, DateFormat.Field.DAY_OF_MONTH,
  	  DateFormat.Field.HOUR1, DateFormat.Field.HOUR_OF_DAY1, DateFormat.Field.MINUTE,
  	  DateFormat.Field.SECOND
  	};
! 	int[] begin = new int[] {
  	  0, 5, 8, /***/  11, 14, 17, 20
  	};
! 	int[] end = new int[] {
  	  4, 7, 10, /***/ 13, 16, 19, 22
  	};
Index: gnu/testlet/javax/swing/JLabel/Icon.java
RCS file: gnu/testlet/javax/swing/JLabel/Icon.java
diff -N gnu/testlet/javax/swing/JLabel/Icon.java
*** /dev/null	1 Jan 1970 00:00:00 -0000
--- gnu/testlet/javax/swing/JLabel/Icon.java	13 Apr 2004 17:38:48 -0000
***************
*** 0 ****
--- 1,75 ----
+ // Tags: JDK1.2
+
[...]
+ package gnu.testlet.javax.swing.JLabel;
+
+ import gnu.testlet.Testlet;
+ import gnu.testlet.TestHarness;
+ import java.util.EventListener;
+ import java.awt.*;
+ import javax.swing.*;
+
+ /**
+  * These tests pass with the Sun JDK 1.4.1_03 on GNU/Linux IA-32.
+  */
+ public class Icon implements Testlet {
+     public void test(TestHarness harness) {
+         MyIcon icon = new MyIcon();
+         JLabel l = new JLabel(icon);
+         harness.check(l.getIcon(), icon);
+         harness.check(l.getDisabledIcon(), null);
+         l.setIcon(icon);
+         harness.check(l.getIcon(), icon);
+         harness.check(l.getDisabledIcon(), null);
+
+         l = new JLabel();
+         Dimension base = l.getPreferredSize();
+         l.setIcon(icon);
+         Dimension one = l.getPreferredSize();
+         harness.check(one.width, base.width + icon.getIconWidth());
+
+         l = new JLabel("bla");
+         base = l.getPreferredSize();
+         l.setIcon(icon);
+         one = l.getPreferredSize();
+         harness.check(one.width, base.width + icon.getIconWidth() + l.getIconTextGap() );
+
+         l.setIconTextGap(100);
+         one = l.getPreferredSize();
+         harness.check(one.width, base.width + icon.getIconWidth() + 100 );
+     }
+
+     private static class MyIcon implements javax.swing.Icon {
+         private int painted = 0;
+         public int getIconHeight()  {
+             return 10;
+         }
+         public int getIconWidth()  {
+             return 20;
+         }
+         public void paintIcon(Component c, Graphics g, int x, int y)  {
+             painted++;
+         }
+         public int getPainted() {
+             return painted;
+         }
+     }
+ }
Index: gnu/testlet/javax/swing/JLabel/Mnemonic.java
RCS file: gnu/testlet/javax/swing/JLabel/Mnemonic.java
diff -N gnu/testlet/javax/swing/JLabel/Mnemonic.java
*** /dev/null	1 Jan 1970 00:00:00 -0000
--- gnu/testlet/javax/swing/JLabel/Mnemonic.java	13 Apr 2004 17:38:48 -0000
***************
*** 0 ****
--- 1,61 ----
+ // Tags: JDK1.2
+
[...]
+ import javax.swing.JLabel;
+
+ /**
+  * These tests pass with the Sun JDK 1.4.1_03 on GNU/Linux IA-32.
+  */
+ public class Mnemonic implements Testlet {
+     public void test(TestHarness harness) {
+         JLabel l = new JLabel("lskdjnvmdsklzedfsdmnWK");
+         harness.check(l.getDisplayedMnemonic(), 0);
+         harness.check(l.getDisplayedMnemonicIndex(), -1);
+
+         l.setDisplayedMnemonic(java.awt.event.KeyEvent.VK_K);
+         harness.check(l.getDisplayedMnemonic(), java.awt.event.KeyEvent.VK_K);
+         harness.check(l.getDisplayedMnemonicIndex(), 2);
+
+         l.setDisplayedMnemonic(java.awt.event.KeyEvent.VK_Q);
+         harness.check(l.getDisplayedMnemonicIndex(), -1);
+
+         l.setDisplayedMnemonic(java.awt.event.KeyEvent.VK_W);
+         harness.check(l.getDisplayedMnemonicIndex(), 20);
+
+         l.setText("new text");
+         harness.check(l.getDisplayedMnemonicIndex(), 2);
+
+         l.setDisplayedMnemonicIndex(5);
+         // the following test is really un-intuitive... Is this a bug in Suns JVM?
+         harness.check(l.getDisplayedMnemonic(), java.awt.event.KeyEvent.VK_W); // unchanged
+         harness.check(l.getDisplayedMnemonicIndex(), 5);
+
+         l = new JLabel("new text");

@ 2004-04-13 18:59                           ` Thomas Zander
From: Thomas Zander @ 2004-04-13 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mauve-discuss

* Re: Mauve patches.
@ 2004-04-14  0:09                     ` Bill McFadden
From: Bill McFadden @ 2004-04-14  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mauve-discuss; +Cc: Bill McFadden

>Thomas wrote:
>> David Lichteblau writes:
>> Yes.  I suppose Thomas' Ant script should do the right thing with
>> respect to the tags.
>
>The selecting of files based on some 'tag in their content is quite easy in
>ant; its a standard target.  I could add an ant-build target that builds
>based on tags.

A build.xml that does the JDK1.1 tests would be terrific.  I was
unsuccessful building Mauve from the instructions in README, but Thomas's
Ant script worked.

--
Bill McFadden    billmc@agora.rdrop.com    http://www.rdrop.com/users/billmc
CAUTION: Don't look into laser beam with remaining eye.

* Re: Mauve patches.
@ 2004-04-14  9:56                             ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2004-04-14  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Zander; +Cc: mauve-discuss

Thomas Zander writes:

 > On Tuesday 13 April 2004 19:44, Andrew Haley wrote:
 > > I have attached a version here, FYI.
 > >
 > > I don't think I've broken anything with the checkin, but please check.
 >
 > Hmm; I'm wondering what was wrong with the last patch I sent; the only
 > difference I see is that I failed to mention the new method in
 > SimpleTestHarness, and the change in statics in
 > SimpleDateFormat/attribute.java.

This is what you sent:

diff -U3 -p -N -r mauve-orig/ChangeLog mauve/ChangeLog
--- mauve-orig/ChangeLog        2004-04-03 17:59:25.000000000 +0200
+++ mauve/ChangeLog     2004-04-03 17:54:08.000000000 +0200
@@ -1,4 +1,17 @@
+2004-04-03  Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org>
+
+       * new files
+       gnu/testlet/javax/swing/JLabel/Icon.java,
+       gnu/testlet/javax/swing/JLabel/Mnemonic.java
+
+2004-04-03  Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org>
+
+       * added an ant build option so the autotools are not needed if you use
+       a fully functional JVM (for example for writing tests).
+       build.xml:  ant build file
+       gnu/anttask/RunTests.java: ant task for calling SimpleTestHarness.java
+

This is what I did to make it right:

2004-04-13  Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org>

        * build.xml: New file.
        * gnu/anttask/RunTests.java: New file.
        * gnu/testlet/SimpleTestHarness.java (getFailures): New method.

        * gnu/testlet/javax/swing/JLabel/Icon.java: New file.
        * gnu/testlet/javax/swing/JLabel/Mnemonic.java: New file.

        * gnu/testlet/java/text/SimpleDateFormat/attribute.java
        (test_FieldPos): Locals no longer static.

See http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards_42.html#SEC42.

Note in particular that Change Logs document only what, not why.
Explanations should be comments in the program.

 > Was it a bad choice to sent it as a bzip2 compressed patch?

Not always, but it does mean that reviewers are less likely to look at
your patch straight away.

 > Anyway; you forgot this thingy:
 >
 > diff -U3 -p -N -r mauve-orig/.cvsignore mauve-new/.cvsignore

Ah, yes.  Thanks.

Andrew.

* Re: Mauve patches.
@ 2004-04-15 21:10           ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2004-04-15 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Zander; +Cc: GNU Classpath, mauve-discuss

Hi Thomas,

On Sun, 2004-04-11 at 08:48, Thomas Zander wrote:
> Oh; and a explanation of the correct changelog format; or a link to that
> since you said there was something wrong with it; but I don't know what.

Look at the new and improved GNU Classpath Hackers Guide:
(7.1 Documenting what changed when with ChangeLog entries)
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/docs/hacking.html#SEC9

> Hope to hear from you; Mauve is growing way too slow for my taste this way.

My apologies for not following up on this sooner.
I am happy that Andrew helped you out.

Your help is really appreciated. Especially since we are all short on
time. So, please don't see the slow reactions as rejections of your
work. I am really, really happy you want to pick this up and make it
easier for others. Mauve is very important but indeed far to difficult
to setup and hack on.

Thanks,

Mark

* Re: Mauve patches.
@ 2004-04-15 22:56                 ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2004-04-15 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Lichteblau; +Cc: Thomas Zander, mauve-discuss

On Sun, 2004-04-11 at 20:57, David Lichteblau wrote:
> Quoting Thomas Zander (zander@javalobby.org):
> > On Sunday 11 April 2004 14:22, David Lichteblau wrote:
> > > Quoting Thomas Zander (zander@javalobby.org):
> > > No!
> >
> > would you care to elaborate on your position?
>
> Sure: "Problems should be fixed pre-commit."

I agree. Mauve is actually used daily by people (me). And some people
even use it in autobuilders/testers which are updated from CVS.

> BTW, to ask a technical question, is the "tagging" of Mauve testcases
> used in practice?  Much of the complexity of the existing build systems
> stems from the fact that tests are selected by a non-trivial script.  If
> not for the tags, something like "find . -name \*.java" would be enough
> to select all files.

There are Tags to select which test (sets) you want to run. But also
Uses which declare what a test depends on. That is needed to make sure
you compile all java source files needed and only those files.

> Mark Wielaard sent an analysis of test suite failures for current
> Classpath, which I found very helpful (thanks!).  When I am interested
> to see whether the current Classpath version "works", which tags should
> be used?  All of them, right?

Yes. I am using:
KEYS="JDK1.0 JDK1.1 JDK1.2 JDK1.3 JDK1.4 JLS1.0 JLS1.2 JDBC1.0 JDBC2.0 JAVA2"
And I used to add !java.lang.Character.unicode since that was broken
till next week (thanks Stephan!).

> Unless I misunderstood Thomas' question, he could not compile all of
> Mauve because his script tried to compile _everything_, as opposed to
> those files usually chosen by the standard build system.  I would find
> it a little confusing if Mauve provided two build systems, one which
> uses tags and one which does not.

Actually Mauve already provides two mechanism. I secretly (well, there
is a changelog entry and some discussion on the mailinglist) added a
second method last year. The way the Makefile works does indeed try to
compile everything you tagged/choose at once and then run all those
tests in one go. I added a little batch_run and runner (bash shell)
script that actually uses the choose script to compile each test (and
dependent source file) separately and then run each test separately
(installing a timer to catch a hanging runtime). Unfortunately I never
documented that in the README. And it also doesn't work nicely with the
configure script. You actually have to edit the used compiler (COMPILER)
in batch_run and the used runtime (RUNTIME) in runner. But it is nice
for those times that a test doesn't compile or hangs/crashed the
runtime, then you just get one failure and the rest of the tests are
still run.

(There is actually even a third build system for mauve. It is embedded
in an expect script inside libgcj gcc/libjava/testsuite that does kind
of what the above shell script does, but then runs each test both with a
traditional byte code interpreter and compiled as native code.)

Cheers,

Mark

* Re: Mauve patches.
@ 2004-04-16 20:23                     ` Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2004-04-16 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cbj; +Cc: Thomas Zander, David Lichteblau, mauve-discuss

On Sun, 2004-04-11 at 21:12, C. Brian Jones wrote:
> * Cannot be installed (packaged, used repeatedly for various cases from
> same install)

I'm not sure why you would want to "install" mauve.  I guess I'm too
used to how we use Mauve with libgcj.

> * No integrated pass/fail/expected/unexpected summary

The Big Idea was that different projects would have different QA
infrastructure requirements, which would be satisfied by writing system
specific test harnesses.  So, for instance, we have a dejagnu specific
test harness in the libgcj source tree.

> * Repeated executions require knowing inner workings of
> various scripts

Again, this may be a result of our assumption that the core Mauve
infrastructure would be augmented by project specific infrastructure.

> * Integration of additional libraries difficult at best
> * Integration of VM specific tests also difficult
>
> Solutions
>
> * Change configure script to be installation oriented, similar for
> Makefile.am (started this already)
> * New script(s) for running mauve to compile, execute, report
> results (consider using dejagnu)
> 	* Specify java compiler at runtime
>         * Specify vm at runtime
>         * Specify temporary directory at runtime
> 	* Specify additional libraries/resources at runtime
> 	* Specify additional tests at runtime

Are you doing this for a specific system, or for stand-alone Mauve
usage?

> Basically all the cruft and gorp in configure.in, Makefile.am, choose,
> etc. gets done over.  The TAGS system is broken, it doesn't allow one to
> specify that a particular test is only valid for 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and not
> 1.4+, essential to handle deprecated methods that eventually get
> removed.  I have no problem doing this work, my problem is all the
> people that depend on the current directory structure, build process,
> etc. that will scream if something is changed.  Anyway I have started
> the work, when I have a patch I'll let the list review.  Don't hold your
> breath, I'm slow sometimes.  :)

FWIW, I don't feel strongly about the stand-alone Mauve infrastructure
as long as the libgcj usage doesn't break (see
gcc/libjava/testsuite/libjava.mauve).

AG

--
Anthony Green <green@redhat.com>