public inbox for newlib@sourceware.org
* Re: Adding aio.h and mqueue.h
       [not found] ` <CAOox84tokqMMW5mOgNN166bmttxmQiLmyGh=GQBjDhbTZuaADQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2022-12-02 10:06   ` Corinna Vinschen
       [not found]     ` <CAF9ehCWLgfDidX_LmNz9AW352WaGiGPMBwcA3XVuRdX28aQZLA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2022-12-02 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Johnston; +Cc: joel, Newlib

On Dec  1 18:22, Jeff Johnston wrote:
> As long as the licensing is shared-newlib-compatible (non-GPL), it should
> be ok.
>
> -- Jeff J.

Cygwin already comes with aio.h and mqueue.h headers.

Ideally they are reused for newlib, or the new aio.h/mqueue.h headers
are checked that they provide the same definitions and replace the
Cygwin-only ones.

Thanks,
Corinna

> On Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 11:37 AM Joel Sherrill <joel@rtems.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > We have migrated almost all of our POSIX defined header files from RTEMS
> > itself to newlib.  I think aio.h and mqueue.h are the last POSIX headers
> > left on our side.
> >
> > What's the feeling on merging these? Would it be ok to put them in
> > newlib/libc/include?
> >
> > Our version of the headers have Doxygen comments. Would these be OK in
> > newlib or do I need to remove the Doxygen?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --joel

* Re: Adding aio.h and mqueue.h
       [not found]     ` <CAF9ehCWLgfDidX_LmNz9AW352WaGiGPMBwcA3XVuRdX28aQZLA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2022-12-02 17:10       ` Corinna Vinschen
       [not found]         ` <CAF9ehCUjAF8ms4VsPrzsLNaULBMufY8pu8bKHAkftk1C9G8COw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2022-12-02 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Sherrill; +Cc: newlib, Jeff Johnston

On Dec  2 08:15, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 2, 2022 at 4:07 AM Corinna Vinschen <vinschen@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Dec  1 18:22, Jeff Johnston wrote:
> > > As long as the licensing is shared-newlib-compatible (non-GPL), it should
> > > be ok.
> > >
> > > -- Jeff J.
> >
> > Cygwin already comes with aio.h and mqueue.h headers.
> >
> > Ideally they are reused for newlib, or the new aio.h/mqueue.h headers
> > are checked that they provide the same definitions and replace the
> > Cygwin-only ones.
> >

> OK. So the same defines with the same values? Anything cygwin specific
> goes into an ifdef, etc. I vaguely recall doing this before for other
> header files.

There shouldn't be much Cygwin-specifc in these files and they are quite
short.  Please check the Cygwin files against the files from RTEMS.
Maybe it makes sense to use them instead and just add the (minor)
differences to Cygwin.  If the types used have the same size and the
same signedness, there shouldn't be much of a problem anyway.

However, I'd like to defer this by a few days or weeks.  We're just
in the beta phase for Cygwin 3.4, and I would rather have stable
headers for now :}

Thanks,
Corinna

* Re: Adding aio.h and mqueue.h
       [not found]         ` <CAF9ehCUjAF8ms4VsPrzsLNaULBMufY8pu8bKHAkftk1C9G8COw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2022-12-04 18:59           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2022-12-04 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Sherrill; +Cc: Newlib, Jeff Johnston

On Dec  2 11:19, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 2, 2022, 11:10 AM Corinna Vinschen <vinschen@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Dec  2 08:15, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> > should

> > > OK. So the same defines with the same values? Anything cygwin specific
> > > goes into an ifdef, etc. I vaguely recall doing this before for other
> > > header files.
> >
> > There shouldn't be much Cygwin-specifc in these files and they are quite
> > short.  Please check the Cygwin files against the files from RTEMS.
> > Maybe it makes sense to use them instead and just add the (minor)
> > differences to Cygwin.  If the types used have the same size and the
> > same signedness, there shouldn't be much of a problem anyway.
> >
> > However, I'd like to defer this by a few days or weeks.  We're just
> > in the beta phase for Cygwin 3.4, and I would rather have stable
> > headers for now :
> >

> We are also trying to get ready for a release branch. I think I'll push our
> tickets to a new milestone. That seems to be better for both projects.
>
> With any luck, I can revisit the long double code around then also.

I released Cygwin 3.4.0 today.  Further 3.4 bugfixing will take place
on a branch, so the master branch is open to more intrusive changes now.

Corinna