public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Exploratory Transports
@ 2004-07-09 18:11 Elijah Meeks
From: Elijah Meeks @ 2004-07-09 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

I'm seeing transports take on units and then go into
exploratory mode in Korea-2006.  I don't understand
it, there's just two hexes of sea in some cases and
instead of landing reinforcements, they just swim
around in the Sea of Japan until they run out of
ACPs--turn after turn.  Any suggestions?

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

* Re: Exploratory Transports
@ 2004-07-09 20:30 ` Lincoln Peters
From: Lincoln Peters @ 2004-07-09 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah Meeks; +Cc: Xconq list

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 11:09, Elijah Meeks wrote:
> I'm seeing transports take on units and then go into
> exploratory mode in Korea-2006.  I don't understand
> it, there's just two hexes of sea in some cases and
> instead of landing reinforcements, they just swim
> around in the Sea of Japan until they run out of
> ACPs--turn after turn.  Any suggestions?

I am aware that the function that determines how useful a unit is for
exploration (which I re-wrote a while ago) bases its decision on a
unit's ACP per turn, fuel requirements (if any), and how much of the map
it can explore (water cells in the case of ships).  So unless you've
enabled see-all (in which case exploration is totally unnecessary),
units with huge fuel capacities should be favored as exploratory units
(prior to the re-write the AI considered short-range, high-speed
fighters to be the best exploratory units in the standard game).

As for your transports attacking enemy ships and then changing to an
exploratory plan, I have no idea.  It must be a bug in some other part
of the AI code (not to mention that the AI doesn't understand transports
at all).  Although a possible fix *might* be for exploring_worth to
always return 0 if see-all is enabled.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln@sbcglobal.net>

A vacuum is a hell of a lot better than some of the stuff that nature
replaces it with.
		-- Tennessee Williams

* Re: Exploratory Transports
@ 2004-07-09 18:32 ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-07-09 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Ronne; +Cc: xconq7

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Hans Ronne wrote:

> Heh, the obvious solution would be to fix the transport code so that
> transports do what they are supposed to do, that is transport units from
> point A to B.
>
> This is on my to-do list after I am done fixing the resupply code.

Well, it was on my todo list after improving the help system code.
I guess I'll have to find some other AI-hacking exercise to
indulge in, prior to attempting improvements of the scorekeeper
situation.

The fact that some of our todo list items are starting to overlap
might be taken as a good sign that we are _finally_ approaching
some sort of closure on the 7.5 release cycle....

Eric

* Re: Exploratory Transports
@ 2004-07-09 18:20 Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2004-07-09 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

>Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 20:13:20 +0200
>To: Elijah Meeks <elijahmeeks@yahoo.com>
>From: Hans Ronne <hronne@comhem.se>
>Subject: Re: Exploratory Transports
>Bcc:
>>I'm seeing transports take on units and then go into
>>exploratory mode in Korea-2006.  I don't understand
>>it, there's just two hexes of sea in some cases and
>>instead of landing reinforcements, they just swim
>>around in the Sea of Japan until they run out of
>>ACPs--turn after turn.  Any suggestions?

Heh, the obvious solution would be to fix the transport code so that
transports do what they are supposed to do, that is transport units from
point A to B.

This is on my to-do list after I am done fixing the resupply code.

Hans

P.S. In a non-see-all game, there is nothing wrong with a ship taking on an
exploratory task. If you ever see it happen in a see-all game, it is a bug.