public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
From: Emmanuel Fritsch <emmanuel.fritsch@ign.fr>
To: xconq7@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: Reduced Visibility Table?
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 19:57:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Bruno Boettcher a écrit :

> On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 12:26:02AM +0100, Hans Ronne wrote:
> > >since reading this.... is there a way to let those units coexist with
> > >enemy units in the same cell?
> > >
> > >i would relly like to use the subs to act as spies and make some
> > >commando operations, but since allready a fighter barrage can detect
> > >them, it makes not much sense....
> >
> > True. If you fire into the dark you may hit enemy units that are sitting
> > out there, even if you cannot see them. Which makes sense. If we were to
> > make invisible units invulnerable as well, they would become way too
> > powerful.

It is not invisible and invulnerable against all unit type, but again
some kinds of units. For instance subs may not hit fighter, and may
not be seen by fighter. Or Satellite may see ground units, but no
hit may be possible from one to another, and the cell containing
a satellite (even hostile) should allways be free for ground units.

Or another example : aircraft should be able to jump over a line of
small guerilla in order to bomb further. When I played xconq, bombers
needed to destroy the first units to grab a hole in ground lines, as
if ground units were ten thousand kilometer high.

The impossibility to jump over a continuous line of defender was
a great limit of xconq, for at least all modern games where aerial
and submarine operation are designed. Is it possible to solve this
difficulty ?

a+
  manu