public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Re: New Proposed Xconq Web Site Online
@ 2004-09-29 19:26 Feneric Brown
From: Feneric Brown @ 2004-09-29 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> Eble la plej granda demandon oni jam demandis en la Diplomatio pagho:
> chu la pacemaj Esperantistoj desiras ludi ludon pri milito?

La amo de militoludoj estas tute ne implicas la amo de milito.  Oni
ofte povas regi malurghojn tra ludoj.

> Aliflanke, esperantistoj shatas ludojn kaj en esperanto-kongreso oni
> ofte ludas esperante.

Kay kial ne?  Ludoj estas bonaj por "glaciorompanta".

Fi!  Mia esperantaj lertetoj estas rustaj...

* Re: New Proposed Xconq Web Site Online
@ 2004-09-30  0:36 ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-09-30  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Feneric Brown; +Cc: xconq7

Ah, the Esperanto sample size increases.

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Feneric Brown wrote:

> La amo de militoludoj estas tute ne implicas la amo de milito.

The love of military games does not imply the love of military.
(?)

>Oni
> ofte povas regi malurghojn tra ludoj.

regi -> rules ?

> Kay kial ne?  Ludoj estas bonaj por "glaciorompanta".

"Lodoj estas bonaj" -> "Games are good"

(?)
There appears to be noun/adjective agreement in declension through
the "being" verb. This is good.

> Fi!  Mia esperantaj lertetoj estas rustaj...

"Mia esperantaj" -> "My esperanto"

"My Esperanto knowledge is rusty" ??

Eric

* Re: New Proposed Xconq Web Site Online
@ 2004-09-30 23:49 ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2004-09-30 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: feneric; +Cc: xconq7

> Fi!  Mia esperantaj lertetoj estas rustaj...

Mi povis kompreni vin!  Kaj vi povas relerni nur per klopodi.

Eric, la teksto enhavis kelkajn etajn erarojn do ne konfuzighu.  Vi
pravas pri la akordo inter sustantivo kaj adjektivo ("Ludoj estas
bonaj").

* [Offtopic] Re: New Proposed Xconq Web Site Online
@ 2004-10-01  5:00   ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-10-01  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Kingdon; +Cc: feneric, xconq7

Jim Kingdon wrote:
>>Fi!  Mia esperantaj lertetoj estas rustaj...
>
> Mi povis kompreni vin!  Kaj vi povas relerni nur per klopodi.

"kaj" -> "and"

"I was able to understand you!" (?)
"And you are able to _____ ____ by/through ____."   (?)

> Eric, la teksto enhavis kelkajn etajn erarojn do ne konfuzighu.

"ne konfuzighu" -> "Do not confuse" (??)
"la teksto enhavis kelajn erarojn" -> "the text ___ ____ ____ errors" ->
"the text contained/had a few small errors/mistakes"   (??)
"do ne konfuzighu" -> "that one must not confuse" -> "that one must be
careful not to make" (??)

> Vi
> pravas pri la akordo inter sustantivo kaj adjektivo ("Ludoj estas
> bonaj").

"You ___ ____ the agreement between subject and adjective ('Games are
good')".  (?)

I am going to have to figure out "pri"; I have seen it several times now.

Some observations:
(1) I have detected no repeated consonants or vowels thus far.
(2) I have detected no potential diphthongs thus far.
I suppose the language is intended to be lexically simple as well as
grammatically simple....

Eric

* Re: [Offtopic] Re: New Proposed Xconq Web Site Online
@ 2004-10-01  5:55     ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2004-10-01  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mcdonald; +Cc: xconq7

> Kaj vi povas relerni nur per klopodi.
> "And you are able to _____ ____ by/through ____."   (?)

Hint #1: "relerni" is a compound, "re/lern/i".
Hint #2: I could have said "sole" in place of "nur".
Not sure I can give a hint on "klopodi"; I don't actually know its
etymology.

> "do ne konfuzighu" -> "that one must not confuse" -> "that one must be
> careful not to make" (??)

Hint #1: "konfuzighu" is a compound, "konfuz/igh/u".
Hint #2: Esperanto has 6 accented characters, 5 of which are ASCIIfied
by adding "h" at the end.  One of them appears here.
Hint #3: -igh- doesn't have a close English equivalent; you might need
some more examples to get it.

> I am going to have to figure out "pri"; I have seen it several times now.

Vi bezonas lerni pri la vorto "pri".

> (1) I have detected no repeated consonants or vowels thus far.

The only counterexample I can think of is the one and only one
Esperanto word I know of with an irregular spelling, "finna".  It's a
good reason to use the word "suoma" instead.  There might be examples
where the last letter of the first part of a compound word is the same
as the first letter of the second part, but even that I'm not sure of
- it wouldn't be easy to pronounce.

Another spelling/pronunciation example is that the word "aeroplano"
tends to be avoided by most esperantists I know, in favor of
"aviadilo", for reasons of sonority.

> (2) I have detected no potential diphthongs thus far.

My Esperanto book lists 6 diphthongs.  And no, this isn't a trick: a,
e, i, o, and u are all monophthongs.  Some of the diphthongs are quite
common, and have been seen many times in the Esperanto text on the
list so far.

> I suppose the language is intended to be lexically simple as well as
> grammatically simple....

Ho jes.  La celo de esperanto estas ke ghi estu simpla.  La alia celo
estas esti neuxtrala.

* Re: [Offtopic] Re: New Proposed Xconq Web Site Online
@ 2004-10-01 18:37       ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-10-01 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Kingdon; +Cc: xconq7

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Jim Kingdon wrote:

> > Kaj vi povas relerni nur per klopodi.
> > "And you are able to _____ ____ by/through ____."   (?)
>
> Hint #1: "relerni" is a compound, "re/lern/i".
> Hint #2: I could have said "sole" in place of "nur".
> Not sure I can give a hint on "klopodi"; I don't actually know its
> etymology.

"And you are able to relearn only by using/exercising/doing." (??)
(I am trying to figure out if that makes sense in the context of
the sentence before it.)

I figured the "re" was probably the prefix with the usual meaning.
I held back because of a counterexample from Latin: "republic"
which comes from "res" and "publica"  (thing of the
public/people).

> > "do ne konfuzighu" -> "that one must not confuse" -> "that one must be
> > careful not to make" (??)
>
> Hint #1: "konfuzighu" is a compound, "konfuz/igh/u".
> Hint #2: Esperanto has 6 accented characters, 5 of which are ASCIIfied
> by adding "h" at the end.  One of them appears here.
> Hint #3: -igh- doesn't have a close English equivalent; you might need
> some more examples to get it.

Does "gh" make "zh" sound like with French "j" or "g" (in places)?

My guess is that "igh" is a participle stem, probably for "ed" or
"ing". I think I saw which it was in an earlier text. I will have
to look more closely again tonight.

> > I am going to have to figure out "pri"; I have seen it several times now.
> Vi bezonas lerni pri la vorto "pri".

"You ____ to learn of/from the word 'pri'."

(I will have to look at the other samples of "pri" usage again
tonight.)

> > (1) I have detected no repeated consonants or vowels thus far.
> The only counterexample I can think of is the one and only one
> Esperanto word I know of with an irregular spelling, "finna".  It's a
> good reason to use the word "suoma" instead.

Is that the people or the language? With "japana", I could not
tell if it was the country or the language. Also what about the
Lapps who are reindeer herders among the "finna"; do they get to
keep their double-p?

> > (2) I have detected no potential diphthongs thus far.
> My Esperanto book lists 6 diphthongs.  And no, this isn't a trick: a,
> e, i, o, and u are all monophthongs.  Some of the diphthongs are quite
> common, and have been seen many times in the Esperanto text on the
> list so far.

I'll look again. I wasn't paying close attention to that aspect.

> > I suppose the language is intended to be lexically simple as well as
> > grammatically simple....
>
> Ho jes.  La celo de esperanto estas ke ghi estu simpla.  La alia celo
> estas esti neuxtrala.

"Oh yes. The point/reason/purpose of Esperanto is that it must be
simple. The other point/reason/purpose is to be neutral."

Eric