* Fwd: Coverity Scan
       [not found] <CAO1jNwuZhQoyccTTGJWcdUJHHQjHeYc5GZEyG-Hci5kfLaMcTA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-04-25  9:10 ` Jan Nijtmans
From: Jan Nijtmans @ 2014-04-25  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Yeah, I'm n ot exactly looking forward to it since I'm very familiar
> with CVS or SVN, but have nothing but trouble with git.  But since
> everybody else is so very happy with git, I guess I'll have to adapt.
> Teeth-gnashingly.

There are other alternatives than SVN and Git, you could try
Fossil: <http://www.fossil-scm.org/>

Jari Aalto made fossil version 1.28 available recently as
Cygwin/Cygwin64 package, which works fine. (Previous
builds had issues due to SQLite build problems, but those
are all fixed in this build). Highly recommended,
especially if you hate GIT (you are not the only one, really!),
I am using it extensively.

Regards,
        Jan Nijtmans

* Re: Coverity Scan
@ 2014-04-25 12:17   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-04-25 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Apr 25 11:10, Jan Nijtmans wrote:
> > Yeah, I'm n ot exactly looking forward to it since I'm very familiar
> > with CVS or SVN, but have nothing but trouble with git.  But since
> > everybody else is so very happy with git, I guess I'll have to adapt.
> > Teeth-gnashingly.
>
> There are other alternatives than SVN and Git, you could try
> Fossil: <http://www.fossil-scm.org/>
>
> Jari Aalto made fossil version 1.28 available recently as
> Cygwin/Cygwin64 package, which works fine. (Previous
> builds had issues due to SQLite build problems, but those
> are all fixed in this build). Highly recommended,
> especially if you hate GIT (you are not the only one, really!),
> I am using it extensively.

Looks nice, but I'm not so sure there should run YA sccs on sourceware.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: Coverity Scan
@ 2014-04-25 15:55     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-04-25 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 02:17:19PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Apr 25 11:10, Jan Nijtmans wrote:
>> > Yeah, I'm n ot exactly looking forward to it since I'm very familiar
>> > with CVS or SVN, but have nothing but trouble with git.  But since
>> > everybody else is so very happy with git, I guess I'll have to adapt.
>> > Teeth-gnashingly.
>>
>> There are other alternatives than SVN and Git, you could try
>> Fossil: <http://www.fossil-scm.org/>
>>
>> Jari Aalto made fossil version 1.28 available recently as
>> Cygwin/Cygwin64 package, which works fine. (Previous
>> builds had issues due to SQLite build problems, but those
>> are all fixed in this build). Highly recommended,
>> especially if you hate GIT (you are not the only one, really!),
>> I am using it extensively.
>
>Looks nice, but I'm not so sure there should run YA sccs on sourceware.

Right.

cgf

* Re: Coverity Scan
@ 2014-05-19  8:36           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-05-19  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On May 17 21:58, David Stacey wrote:
> On 17/05/14 11:12, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On May 16 21:00, David Stacey wrote:
> >>OK - we're in! You can find our project page at
> >>https://scan.coverity.com/projects/2250. Off the list, I've sent e-mails
> >>to Corinna and CGF inviting them to join the project ;-)
> >I got no such mail.  You didn't try the account I'm using for the
> >mailing list, I hope?  Please use my company address vinschen AT
> >redhat DOT com.
>
> Apologies - another invitation sent to the correct e-mail address. Further
> apologies if I should have known your correct e-mail address already!
>
> >I have no idea how this works. I had hoped I'd just get emails with the
> >scan results, the less fancy the solution, the better. We can set this up
> >using gpg encrypted mails, that would be the most elegant solution, IMHO.
>
> I could probably get Coverity Scan to ping you an e-mail if a new defect is
> introduced. It's probably best if you look at the web page above. Once you
> accept the invitation and log in, you'll see a button to view the defects.
> For each defect, you'll see the defect itself, along with the path that the
> analysis engine took to get there.
> [...]
> >Well, the problem is that we're going to switch to git pretty soon, and
> >that will slightly change the directory layout.  But basically, in the
> >winsup dir, you see the subdirs
> >
> >   cygserver
> >   cygwin
> >   doc
> >   lsaauth
> >   testsuite
> >   utils
> >
> >Of those you can ignore
> >
> >   doc
> >   testsuite
> >
> >The other four would be natural groups, I think.  The toplevel and
> >winsup dirs don't need to be scanned either.
>
> I've set up components for cygserver, cygwin, utils and newlib. There were
> no defects found in 'lsaauth' (which needs investigation in itself - I'll
> look at this).

A single source file.  Not much code.  There is at least *some*
non-0 probability that the code might be correct... I hope.

> If our directory structure is going to change when we move to
> git then that is OK - I'll remap the components at the point we move.
> However, be aware that reorganising things can confuse Coverity - if you
> sign off any warnings as 'won't fix' then they may reappear if the offending
> code is moved into a different class or file.

That's to be expected.

> >You are aware that we need a copyright assignment from you if you'd like
> >to provide patches, right? Please have a look at the "Before you get
> >started" section of http://cygwin.com/contrib.html
>
> I'll limit my patches to the trivial kind that are ten lines or less. My
> present employer is amazingly supportive of the open source work that I do
> in my own time, and that boat doesn't need rocking.

Nevertheless, I'd be glad if you try.  This project is in desperate need
of developers getting their hands dirty.

> >In theory, at the time of writing this, I'd suggest to include only cgf,
> >yaakov, and me.
>
> I've sent an invitation to Yaakov also.

Thanks!  For the time being I already marked a single reported problem
as false positive.  I look into more at some later point.  I'll first
try to get a 1.7.29-3 with a few bugfixes out of the door.

Thanks,

@ 2014-05-17 23:13         ` David Stacey
From: David Stacey @ 2014-05-17 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 17/05/14 11:12, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On May 16 21:00, David Stacey wrote:
>> OK - we're in! You can find our project page at
>> https://scan.coverity.com/projects/2250. Off the list, I've sent
>> e-mails to Corinna and CGF inviting them to join the project ;-)
> I got no such mail.  You didn't try the account I'm using for the
> mailing list, I hope?  Please use my company address vinschen AT
> redhat DOT com.

Apologies - another invitation sent to the correct e-mail address.
Further apologies if I should have known your correct e-mail address
already!

> I have no idea how this works. I had hoped I'd just get emails with
> the scan results, the less fancy the solution, the better. We can set
> this up using gpg encrypted mails, that would be the most elegant
> solution, IMHO.

I could probably get Coverity Scan to ping you an e-mail if a new defect
is introduced. It's probably best if you look at the web page above.
Once you accept the invitation and log in, you'll see a button to view
the defects. For each defect, you'll see the defect itself, along with
the path that the analysis engine took to get there.

For example, consider the case of reading an uninitialised variable. The
trace would start at the point the variable is declared. You would see
the path taken through the code (e.g. taking the 'true' path of an 'if'
statement, or not executing a 'while' loop because the condition was
never satisfied) until you arrive at a line where the variable is read
without ever having been initialised. This is more useful than simply
complaining about reading an uninitialised variable: often these can be
logic errors, i.e. the coder didn't consider a certain scenario, or
thought that all paths through the code would initialise the variable at
some point. As Coverity shows you the path through the code (even
between functions), you see the hole in the logic.

>> There is still a little work to do in setting up the Coverity scan. The next
>> step is to group the code into logical clusters, which Coverity calls
>> Components. Typically, this is done on directories or other file groupings,
>> and the tool allows you to concentrate on just one of these components at
>> once. If you let me know what components you'd like, I'll set them up.
> Well, the problem is that we're going to switch to git pretty soon, and
> that will slightly change the directory layout.  But basically, in the
> winsup dir, you see the subdirs
>
>    cygserver
>    cygwin
>    doc
>    lsaauth
>    testsuite
>    utils
>
> Of those you can ignore
>
>    doc
>    testsuite
>
> The other four would be natural groups, I think.  The toplevel and
> winsup dirs don't need to be scanned either.

I've set up components for cygserver, cygwin, utils and newlib. There
were no defects found in 'lsaauth' (which needs investigation in itself
- I'll look at this). If our directory structure is going to change when
we move to git then that is OK - I'll remap the components at the point
we move. However, be aware that reorganising things can confuse Coverity
- if you sign off any warnings as 'won't fix' then they may reappear if
the offending code is moved into a different class or file.

> You are aware that we need a copyright assignment from you if you'd
> like to provide patches, right? Please have a look at the "Before you
> get started" section of http://cygwin.com/contrib.html

I'll limit my patches to the trivial kind that are ten lines or less. My
present employer is amazingly supportive of the open source work that I
do in my own time, and that boat doesn't need rocking.

> In theory, at the time of writing this, I'd suggest to include only cgf,
> yaakov, and me.

I've sent an invitation to Yaakov also.

Cheers,

Dave.

* Re: Coverity Scan
@ 2014-05-17 16:13         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-05-17 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On May 16 16:03, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> On 5/16/2014 4:00 PM, David Stacey wrote:
> > OK - we're in! You can find our project page at
> > https://scan.coverity.com/projects/2250. Off the list, I've sent e-mails
> > to Corinna and CGF inviting them to join the project ;-)
>
> gold star?

Sure.  Thanks David!

@ 2014-05-17 10:13       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-05-17 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi David,

On May 16 21:00, David Stacey wrote:
> On 25/04/14 16:53, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >>Depends.  If the report contains lots of false positives, it's getting
> >>annoying pretty quickly.
> >We use coverity at work.  It is annoying and it does have false positive
> >but a lot of what look like false positives often turn out to be:  "Oh,
> >wait.  (#*(&$  Yeah.  That's a problem."
> >
> >If we could use coverity I'm sure it would be interesting if we can get
> >it.
>
> OK - we're in! You can find our project page at
> https://scan.coverity.com/projects/2250. Off the list, I've sent e-mails to
> Corinna and CGF inviting them to join the project ;-)

I got no such mail.  You didn't try the account I'm using for the
mailing list, I hope?  Please use my company address vinschen AT
redhat DOT com.

> It would be responsible of us to restrict access to known vulnerabilities,
> so please _don't_ ask for visibility of the scan results. I will leave it to
> CGF and Corinna to decide who we give access to and when.

I have no idea how this works.  I had hoped I'd just get emails with
the scan results, the less fancy the solution, the better.  We can
set this up using gpg encrypted mails, that would be the most elegant
solution, IMHO.

> There is still a little work to do in setting up the Coverity scan. The next
> step is to group the code into logical clusters, which Coverity calls
> Components. Typically, this is done on directories or other file groupings,
> and the tool allows you to concentrate on just one of these components at
> once. If you let me know what components you'd like, I'll set them up.

Well, the problem is that we're going to switch to git pretty soon, and
that will slightly change the directory layout.  But basically, in the
winsup dir, you see the subdirs

  cygserver
  cygwin
  doc
  lsaauth
  testsuite
  utils

Of those you can ignore

  doc
  testsuite

The other four would be natural groups, I think.  The toplevel and
winsup dirs don't need to be scanned either.

> The Coverity build is being performed on one of my PCs at the moment. I'll
> try to do this at least weekly using a snapshot from the snapshots page.
> I'll also try to submit patches as and when time allows.

You are aware that we need a copyright assignment from you if you'd like
to provide patches, right?  Please have a look at the "Before you get
started" section of http://cygwin.com/contrib.html

> But if this is
> going to work then anyone who regularly contributes to the Cygwin source
> code will have to make use of the tool.

In theory, at the time of writing this, I'd suggest to include only cgf,
yaakov, and me.  Other people could join us on request, if they provide
patches to the Cygwin code base, or provided non-trivial patches in the
past.

> Finally, I'd like to thank Dakshesh Vyas at Coverity for allowing us to join
> the Scan programme.

Yes, that's nice.  I'm thanking him as well.

@ 2014-05-16 20:35       ` Jeffrey Altman
From: Jeffrey Altman @ 2014-05-16 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2014-05-16 20:03     ` David Stacey
From: David Stacey @ 2014-05-16 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2014-04-25 19:09     ` David Arnstein
From: David Arnstein @ 2014-04-25 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:53:24AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> We use coverity at work.  It is annoying and it does have false positive
> but a lot of what look like false positives often turn out to be:  "Oh,
> wait.  (#*(&$  Yeah.  That's a problem."

I use Coverity as well, and I find it to be excellent. The latest version
finds copy and paste errors. In particular, it recently issued two
complaints about such errors. In both cases, Coverity was correct, a
developer really had done copy-and-paste twice, introducing an error
each time.

* Re: Coverity Scan
@ 2014-04-25 15:53   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-04-25 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2014-04-25 13:33     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-04-25 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Apr 25 13:19, David Stacey wrote:
> On 25/04/14 09:35, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >>  There are some conditions associated with using Coverity Scan [2]. The
> >>  one thing that jumps out is that our relationship with RedHat might be
> >>  a stumbling block. We can but ask - the worst that can happen is that
> >>  they politely decline.
> >They will.  #7 won't fly due to the buyout license clause.
>
> Would you like me to enquire anyway?

Well, asking never hurts :)

> >>  There have been a few hints on this list about a possible move from CVS
> >>  to git. If such a move were on the cards then that should probably
> >>  happen first - I wouldn't want the nugatory effort of getting this
> >>  working from CVS only to have to change it almost immediately.
> >Yeah, I'm n ot exactly looking forward to it since I'm very familiar
> >with CVS or SVN, but have nothing but trouble with git.  But since
> >everybody else is so very happy with git, I guess I'll have to adapt.
> >Teeth-gnashingly.
>
> It might help ease your pain knowing that you can use github with a
> svn client (to a limited extent):
> https://help.github.com/articles/support-for-subversion-clients

Neat.  But I fear it's time to get used to the idea.

@ 2014-04-25 12:20   ` David Stacey
From: David Stacey @ 2014-04-25 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2014-04-25  8:35 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-04-25  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Apr 25 06:33, David Stacey wrote:
> Coverity Scan [1] is a commercial (paid for) static analysis tool, but
> they offer it to Open Source programmes for free. I was having a browse
> through the list of Open Source programmes using Coverity Scan, and
> noticed that Cygwin wasn't listed. Would there be any interest in
> analysing the cygwin1.dll source code on a fairly regular basis? If so,
> I would be happy to have a go at setting up an analysis job for Cygwin.
>
> I would imagine this would be of interest to CGF, Corinna and anyone
> else who regularly updates the Cygwin source code. Obviously, this is
> only worth doing if the analysis results are looked at and acted upon.

Depends.  If the report contains lots of false positives, it's getting
annoying pretty quickly.

> There are some conditions associated with using Coverity Scan [2]. The
> one thing that jumps out is that our relationship with RedHat might be
> a stumbling block. We can but ask - the worst that can happen is that
> they politely decline.

They will.  #7 won't fly due to the buyout license clause.

> There have been a few hints on this list about a possible move from CVS
> to git. If such a move were on the cards then that should probably
> happen first - I wouldn't want the nugatory effort of getting this
> working from CVS only to have to change it almost immediately.

Yeah, I'm n ot exactly looking forward to it since I'm very familiar
with CVS or SVN, but have nothing but trouble with git.  But since
everybody else is so very happy with git, I guess I'll have to adapt.
Teeth-gnashingly.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Coverity Scan
@ 2014-04-25  5:33 David Stacey
From: David Stacey @ 2014-04-25  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[...]