* Ancient Archives of ftp.sourceware.org?
@ 2020-05-06 15:44 Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2020-05-06 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hi

May 4th was the 25th birthday of the oldest commit in the RTEMS repository.
Before that, there was a private repo for the research project that
produced it. We started the public repository from the last snapshot.

In those dark years of the early Internet, ftp.sourceware.org had RTEMS on
it. Cygnus even included a version on a floppy they sent out. I scanned the
letter, envelope, and put the floppy contents online (
https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/people/joel/CygnusFloppyAugust1995/). I had
to buy a USB floppy drive to read the floppy.  Enjoy that flashback. :)

As we approach the 30th anniversary of the first public paper on RTEMS, I'd
love to find some really old versions. The version on that floppy is the
oldest one we have.

Is there any chance, there are easily accessible old, old, dusty versions
of ftp.sourceware.org from before 1995?

Thanks.

--joel
RTEMS

* Re: Ancient Archives of ftp.sourceware.org?
@ 2020-05-06 19:29 ` Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2020-05-06 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 2020-05-06 at 10:44 -0500, Joel Sherrill via Overseers wrote:
> Hi
>
> May 4th was the 25th birthday of the oldest commit in the RTEMS repository.
> Before that, there was a private repo for the research project that
> produced it. We started the public repository from the last snapshot.
>
> In those dark years of the early Internet, ftp.sourceware.org? had RTEMS on
> it. Cygnus even included a version on a floppy they sent out. I scanned the
> letter, envelope, and put the floppy contents online (
> https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/people/joel/CygnusFloppyAugust1995/). I had
> to buy a USB floppy drive to read the floppy.  Enjoy that flashback. :)
>
> As we approach the 30th anniversary of the first public paper on RTEMS, I'd
> love to find some really old versions. The version on that floppy is the
> oldest one we have.
>
> Is there any chance, there are easily accessible old, old, dusty versions
> of ftp.sourceware.org? from before 1995?
I don't think sourceware was born until 1997/1998 ;-)

Over time we've tried to populate it with old releases as they're found.

Jeff

* Re: Ancient Archives of ftp.sourceware.org?
@ 2020-05-07 14:01   ` Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2020-05-07 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 2:30 PM Jeff Law <law@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2020-05-06 at 10:44 -0500, Joel Sherrill via Overseers wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > May 4th was the 25th birthday of the oldest commit in the RTEMS
> repository.
> > Before that, there was a private repo for the research project that
> > produced it. We started the public repository from the last snapshot.
> >
> > In those dark years of the early Internet, ftp.sourceware.org? had
> RTEMS on
> > it. Cygnus even included a version on a floppy they sent out. I scanned
> the
> > letter, envelope, and put the floppy contents online (
> > https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/people/joel/CygnusFloppyAugust1995/). I
> had
> > to buy a USB floppy drive to read the floppy.  Enjoy that flashback. :)
> >
> > As we approach the 30th anniversary of the first public paper on RTEMS,
> I'd
> > love to find some really old versions. The version on that floppy is the
> > oldest one we have.
> >
> > Is there any chance, there are easily accessible old, old, dusty versions
> > of ftp.sourceware.org? from before 1995?
> I don't think sourceware was born until 1997/1998 ;-)
>
> Over time we've tried to populate it with old releases as they're found.

Wow! How was newlib distributed back in the dark pre-sourceware age?
I know we used it before 97/98 and got it via ftp.

I went to https://sourceware.org/newlib/ and the link to the ftp site is
broken. I think that should be https://www.sourceware.org/ftp/newlib/ but
the links for all the downloads are ftp also and don't work.

But it was enough to see that newlib 1.6 is from 1994 which is back
when Rob Savoye maintained it.  I kept his business card from back
then because I thought Hacker was a cool job title. :)

--joel

@ 2020-05-07 14:18     ` Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2020-05-07 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 2020-05-07 at 09:01 -0500, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 2:30 PM Jeff Law <law@redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2020-05-06 at 10:44 -0500, Joel Sherrill via Overseers wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > May 4th was the 25th birthday of the oldest commit in the RTEMS repository.
> > > Before that, there was a private repo for the research project that
> > > produced it. We started the public repository from the last snapshot.
> > >
> > > In those dark years of the early Internet, ftp.sourceware.org? had RTEMS on
> > > it. Cygnus even included a version on a floppy they sent out. I scanned the
> > > letter, envelope, and put the floppy contents online (
> > > https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/people/joel/CygnusFloppyAugust1995/). I had
> > > to buy a USB floppy drive to read the floppy.  Enjoy that flashback. :)
> > >
> > > As we approach the 30th anniversary of the first public paper on RTEMS, I'd
> > > love to find some really old versions. The version on that floppy is the
> > > oldest one we have.
> > >
> > > Is there any chance, there are easily accessible old, old, dusty versions
> > > of ftp.sourceware.org? from before 1995?
> > I don't think sourceware was born until 1997/1998 ;-)
> >
> > Over time we've tried to populate it with old releases as they're found.
>
> Wow! How was newlib distributed back in the dark pre-sourceware age?
> I know we used it before 97/98 and got it via ftp.
I don't remember.   I would expect official releases from the newlib project
would have been via ftp *somewhere*, but I don't know where.  It was a long time
ago.

There were certainly also releases to Cygnus customers that would have included
newlib.

> I went to https://sourceware.org/newlib/ and the link to the ftp site is
> broken. I think that should be https://www.sourceware.org/ftp/newlib/ but
> the links for all the downloads are ftp also and don't work.
Ugh :(

> But it was enough to see that newlib 1.6 is from 1994 which is back
> when Rob Savoye maintained it.  I kept his business card from back
> then because I thought Hacker was a cool job title. :)
I believe policy was you can put whatever title you want on your cards.  We had
some that were, umm, "interesting".

jeff

* Re: Ancient Archives of ftp.sourceware.org?
@ 2020-05-07 16:17       ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2020-05-07 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Law via Overseers; +Cc: joel, law

Jeff Law via Overseers <overseers@sourceware.org> writes:

> On Thu, 2020-05-07 at 09:01 -0500, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>>
>> Wow! How was newlib distributed back in the dark pre-sourceware age?
>> I know we used it before 97/98 and got it via ftp.
> I don't remember.   I would expect official releases from the newlib project
> would have been via ftp *somewhere*, but I don't know where.  It was a long time
> ago.

It was just ftp.cygnus.com, along with the binutils, etc.

I verified that from, well, an old copy of the RTEMS documentation.

https://docs.rtems.org/releases/rtemsdocs-4.6.0/share/rtems/html/relnotes/relnotes00007.html

Ian

* Re: Ancient Archives of ftp.sourceware.org?
@ 2020-05-07 16:25         ` Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2020-05-07 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 11:17 AM Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> wrote:

> Jeff Law via Overseers <overseers@sourceware.org> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 2020-05-07 at 09:01 -0500, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> >>
> >> Wow! How was newlib distributed back in the dark pre-sourceware age?
> >> I know we used it before 97/98 and got it via ftp.
> > I don't remember.   I would expect official releases from the newlib
> project
> > would have been via ftp *somewhere*, but I don't know where.  It was a
> long time
> > ago.
>
> It was just ftp.cygnus.com, along with the binutils, etc.

I checked archive.org and cygnus.com was gone as we know it before
archive.org
got a snapshot. The oldest required Flash to even see what it was. :(

> I verified that from, well, an old copy of the RTEMS documentation.
>

> https://docs.rtems.org/releases/rtemsdocs-4.6.0/share/rtems/html/relnotes/relnotes00007.html

LOL.. I'm a bit embarrassed you found it in old RTEMS documentation.

I guess those old versions are gone forever. It was worth a try.

Thanks.

--joel

@ 2020-05-07 17:10       ` Angela Marie Thomas
From: Angela Marie Thomas @ 2020-05-07 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On May 07, 2020, at 07:18, Jeff Law via Overseers <overseers@sourceware.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 2020-05-07 at 09:01 -0500, Joel Sherrill wrote:

>>> I don't think sourceware was born until 1997/1998 ;-)
>>>
>>> Over time we've tried to populate it with old releases as they're found.
>>
>> Wow! How was newlib distributed back in the dark pre-sourceware age?
>> I know we used it before 97/98 and got it via ftp.
> I don't remember.   I would expect official releases from the newlib project
> would have been via ftp *somewhere*, but I don't know where.  It was a long time
> ago.

Back then newlib was on ftp.cygnus.com.  That's also almost certainly where any older
RTEMS releases would have been if we had any. I looked and I don't have a copy of
ftp.cygnus.com anywhere.

>> But it was enough to see that newlib 1.6 is from 1994 which is back
>> when Rob Savoye maintained it.  I kept his business card from back
>> then because I thought Hacker was a cool job title. :)
> I believe policy was you can put whatever title you want on your cards.  We had
> some that were, umm, "interesting".

Mark Eichin had the best title, "International Arms Dealer".

Even though Julie said I had to destroy all of mine, I still have a box of
"Release Dominatrix" ones somewhere.

--Angela