public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Re: Marketing Xconq?
@ 2003-11-18 17:06 Bill Macon
From: Bill Macon @ 2003-11-18 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mcdonald; +Cc: xconq7

>There is a new Windows build/install document called INSTALL-win.txt.

  I'll have to check this out.

> >Simple patch downloads to supplement the full install
> > should also be considered.
>Hmmm.... Maybe. I'll have to look at what the largest files are
>and how frequently they end up being changed. I'll think about it.

  Some (many?) potential Xconq players will want an update process to be as
simple as possible.

> >    I've tried the recent download and it works somewhat, but there are
>still
> > bugs and graphics problems.
>Bugs in the installer or Xconq?

  The install works fine.  Several of the scenarios I tried opened OK but I
didn't get into playing them.  I wanted to pull up the old game I was
working on about 2 years ago but had problems editting a couple of the .dir
files which seemed to screw everything up.  img.dir wasn't loading right,
and wouldn't load right for any of the other scenarios either until I
reinstalled xconq.  Simple cut&paste didn't work, and even deleting my
additions didn't fix the problem.  So I was doing something wrong and
whatever it was affected the graphics also.  It isn't fair for me to say the
bugs were with xconq itself, but I hit an obstacle regardless and decides to
terminate.

>Similarly, I think Xconq could benefit from a reinforcements
>model, where forces simply appear at certain turns. However, like
>other ideas, I think most of these should wait until after 7.5 is
>released.

  I agree.  Get a polished 7.5 out on the street, hopefully with some
updated documentation, and then proceed with major enhancements.

  FYI, I got into xconq about 2 years ago and tried to create a game based
on Avalon Hill's Advanced Third Reich.  I got a beautiful map to work out,
manually editted all the unit images to get counters and colors right, and
managed to get some things to work OK.  But the combat models do not work
for this type of game.  And unless you set up a 1942 scenario where everyone
is already at war, there is no way to have neutral countries inactive until
some event brings them into the war.  These were serious showstoppers for me
and I moved on to other things, primarily Strategic Command by Battlefront
which came out about the same time I was getting discouraged with xconq.
Now the neat thing about Strategic Command is that it is ideally suited for
an xconq-style game, where multiple sides are all active on a random map.
That would be cool, and I'm interested in working on that one of these days.
  Once everything settles down and 7.5 gets released.  :)

Bill

Compare high-speed Internet plans, starting at $26.95.

* RE: Marketing Xconq?
@ 2003-11-18  3:15     ` Erik Jessen
From: Erik Jessen @ 2003-11-18  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Brandon J. Van Every', 'xconq'

Brandon,

I think having an interpreted language (v. the current Lisp-format
datafile) would put Xconq way ahead of the competition (like ADC2 et
al).

Of course, this would mean adding the interpreter, and then translating
at least some of the existing games as test cases, plus defining how the
interpreter would interact, but one could see how powerful this would
be.

"if", "for", "while" statements are incredibly powerful...

ISTR that Perl has a module/docs on how to add a Perl interpreter onto
almost any C program.  Perl is OO (though in a weird sort of way, but
that's not such a bad thing).  Also, Perl has TCL support, so one could,
at least in concept, create a pop-up in Perl to either notify the user,
or to get input.

But, I'm no guru on these sort of things - there are a number of
languages (Python, Einstein, etc.) I've heard of, but know nothing
about.

Erik

From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-11-18  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lincoln Peters; +Cc: Xconq list

Hi Lincoln,

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Lincoln Peters wrote:

> It sounds like you're talking about random units being created at random
> places

Possibly, if the game designer thought it would fit the game.

> on the map for random sides

For random sides? That's an interesting thought, though game
balance could be unduly influenced in this manner.

>, although none of those are likely
> meant to be 100% random (e.g. it would be ridiculous for a nuclear bomb,
> owned by your opponent, to randomly appear next to *your* capital
> city!).

I don't think I mentioned randomness. But now that you bring it
up, I must say that it has possibilities.... :-)

> I recall thinking that something like that might be interesting in
> bolodd.g: Every so often, an independent unit (perhaps goblins at low
> levels, with more powerful stuff as the game progresses) appears out of
> nowhere (but preferably in an area that nobody can see) and wreaks havoc
> with any non-independent units it can find.

Yes, this is more like what I had in mind. But also I was thinking
that one could design semi-specific scenarios with reinforcement
zones (countries being a good candidate for these), where each
side is _guaranteed_ to get certain forces at regular intervals,
but without the designer needing to create each unit that can be
brought in. And as I mentioned earlier, some form of regular
production could (but need not) accompany reinforcements.

Another possibility would be to reinforce based on territory held.
This would go some way towards making a game such as Risk or
Warlords (that Alan mentioned) more feasible on the Xconq engine.

>  Of course, I don't expect
> anything like that to become possible until well after 7.5.

Nor do I. To be honest, aside from possibly spiffing up the
compound terrain effects that I put in awhile ago, I have entered
a self-imposed feature freeze. My focus is on bug fixes,
packaging, and documentation until 7.5 (are we shooting for a Dec
25th release date, Hans? :-)

  Regards,
   Eric

* Re: Marketing Xconq?
@ 2003-11-18  2:34       ` Lincoln Peters
From: Lincoln Peters @ 2003-11-18  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric McDonald; +Cc: Xconq list

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 17:13, Eric McDonald wrote:
> Hello Eric,
>
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Dr Eric Edward Moore wrote:
>
> > Eric McDonald <mcdonald@phy.cmich.edu> writes:
> >
> > > Similarly, I think Xconq could benefit from a reinforcements
> > > model, where forces simply appear at certain turns.
> >
> > Like the "appear" unit property?  It's used in gettysburg.g
>
> Similar, but "appear" is a unit property, and not a unit-type
> property. When I wrote the above remark, I wasn't really thinking
> in terms of pre-built scenarios, but something more general, as an
> alternative (or complement) to creation/building. But, yes, I will
> concede that a reinforcements model does exist in the sense
> that you mention.

It sounds like you're talking about random units being created at random
places on the map for random sides, although none of those are likely
meant to be 100% random (e.g. it would be ridiculous for a nuclear bomb,
owned by your opponent, to randomly appear next to *your* capital
city!).

I recall thinking that something like that might be interesting in
bolodd.g: Every so often, an independent unit (perhaps goblins at low
levels, with more powerful stuff as the game progresses) appears out of
nowhere (but preferably in an area that nobody can see) and wreaks havoc
with any non-independent units it can find.  Of course, I don't expect

@ 2003-11-18  1:31     ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-11-18  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr Eric Edward Moore; +Cc: xconq7

@ 2003-11-18  1:13   ` Dr Eric Edward Moore
From: Dr Eric Edward Moore @ 2003-11-18  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric McDonald; +Cc: Bill Macon, xconq7

--
Eric E. Moore

* RE: Marketing Xconq?
@ 2003-11-17 22:38   ` Brandon J. Van Every
From: Brandon J. Van Every @ 2003-11-17 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq

@ 2003-11-17 21:56 ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-11-17 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Macon; +Cc: xconq7

Hi Bill,

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Bill Macon wrote:

> take a look at it.  If you guys want to attract wargamers who are interested
> in designing their own games, Wargamer is a good place to start.  I think
> there's potential.

Yeah, I went over there and found your message(s). Thanks for
giving Xconq a mention.

>    It's fair to mention that many gamers are using a Windows platform and
> not Mac or Linux, so a Windows version is important.

Right. That is why I have made some efforts regarding that
platform.

> the Xconq user base.  Even I have had trouble figuring out CVS, so I don't
> bother any more.

There is a new Windows build/install document called
INSTALL-win.txt. You might find the description of how to use
WinCVS useful. (If you don't, please let me know what can be
improved.)

>Simple patch downloads to supplement the full install
> should also be considered.

Hmmm.... Maybe. I'll have to look at what the largest files are
and how frequently they end up being changed. I'll think about it.

>    I've tried the recent download and it works somewhat, but there are still
> bugs and graphics problems.

Bugs in the installer or Xconq?

> And so are most of your potential customers,

I'm not sure that Xconq really has "customers".

>so the sooner a clean v7.5 can
> get completed and released the better.  Once that happens, marketing efforts
> should be more effective.

Once Xconq 7.5 is ready, and if it looks stable and playable, I
will probably send out some announcements to relevant newsgroups.
(Unless of course Hans or Stan want to do it, since their
contributions to the project have been so vast.)

> Xconq's appeal to traditional wargamers.  One is some way of providing
> conditional events within the game, like If-Then statements.  There's no way
> to simulate politics and diplomacy by having some sides or forces inactive
> until something happens (declaration of war, surprise attack, specific
> objective taken, etc.)

Similarly, I think Xconq could benefit from a reinforcements
model, where forces simply appear at certain turns. However, like
other ideas, I think most of these should wait until after 7.5 is
released. There are still a number of bugs that must be addressed,
in addition to documentation and miscellaneous improvements
(Windows Xconq needs to be able to successfully be launched from a
working directory that is other than its installation directory; I
had hoped to address this over the past weekend, but other things
came up. Also prefs.xcq needs to be renamed, now that .xcq is
associated with Xconq savefiles. Etc, etc....)

  Regards,
    Eric

* Re: Marketing Xconq?
@ 2003-11-17 15:42 Bill Macon
From: Bill Macon @ 2003-11-17 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vanevery, xconq7

>do you guys make any effort to market Xconq?

   I mentioned a couple weeks ago that I posted a message on the forum at
Wargamer.com.  Jim Cobb, one of the game reviewers, mentioned that he would
take a look at it.  If you guys want to attract wargamers who are interested
in designing their own games, Wargamer is a good place to start.  I think
there's potential.

   It's fair to mention that many gamers are using a Windows platform and
not Mac or Linux, so a Windows version is important.  Also, most gamers are
not programmers and some are practically computer illiterate, so a simple
complete download like Eric has developed will be most helpful for expanding
the Xconq user base.  Even I have had trouble figuring out CVS, so I don't
bother any more.  Simple patch downloads to supplement the full install
should also be considered.

   I've tried the recent download and it works somewhat, but there are still
bugs and graphics problems.  At least on WinMe that I'm still using, and I'm
too busy with other things right now to spend time troubleshooting Xconq.
And so are most of your potential customers, so the sooner a clean v7.5 can
get completed and released the better.  Once that happens, marketing efforts
should be more effective.

  There were two items I mentioned a long while back that would improve
Xconq's appeal to traditional wargamers.  One is some way of providing
conditional events within the game, like If-Then statements.  There's no way
to simulate politics and diplomacy by having some sides or forces inactive
until something happens (declaration of war, surprise attack, specific
objective taken, etc.)  There are a lot of possibilities with this.  The
other is some way of providing multiple unit attacks and standard combat
results tables based on odds.  Like three units against one getting 3-1
odds, or whatever when other factors are computed, and a "die roll" resolves
the combat all at one time.  The current combat models do not lend
themselves to doing this well.  So maybe with the newer Xconq programmers on
the list now, someone can think about addressing these things.

Bill

From Beethoven to the Rolling Stones, your favorite music is always playing
on MSN Radio Plus. No ads, no talk. Trial month FREE!

* Marketing Xconq?
@ 2003-11-17  7:50 Brandon J. Van Every
From: Brandon J. Van Every @ 2003-11-17  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq

This may sound like a bizzare question to you, and it's certainly
premature to my own agenda.  But I thought I would ask anyways... do you
guys make any effort to market Xconq?  Where by "market" I mean greatly
increase the number of Xconq players out there, the number of people who
know about it, who think favorably of it, get it reviewed on websites,
etc.  No money changing hands but promoting your brand "Xconq" is still
marketing.

What do you think the "market penetration" of Xconq is currently?  How
many players?  How many people know about it?  Have you ever tried to
measure these things?

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.