public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Re: Marketing Xconq?
@ 2003-11-17 15:42 Bill Macon
From: Bill Macon @ 2003-11-17 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vanevery, xconq7

>do you guys make any effort to market Xconq?

   I mentioned a couple weeks ago that I posted a message on the forum at
Wargamer.com.  Jim Cobb, one of the game reviewers, mentioned that he would
take a look at it.  If you guys want to attract wargamers who are interested
in designing their own games, Wargamer is a good place to start.  I think
there's potential.

   It's fair to mention that many gamers are using a Windows platform and
not Mac or Linux, so a Windows version is important.  Also, most gamers are
not programmers and some are practically computer illiterate, so a simple
complete download like Eric has developed will be most helpful for expanding
the Xconq user base.  Even I have had trouble figuring out CVS, so I don't
bother any more.  Simple patch downloads to supplement the full install
should also be considered.

   I've tried the recent download and it works somewhat, but there are still
bugs and graphics problems.  At least on WinMe that I'm still using, and I'm
too busy with other things right now to spend time troubleshooting Xconq.
And so are most of your potential customers, so the sooner a clean v7.5 can
get completed and released the better.  Once that happens, marketing efforts
should be more effective.

  There were two items I mentioned a long while back that would improve
Xconq's appeal to traditional wargamers.  One is some way of providing
conditional events within the game, like If-Then statements.  There's no way
to simulate politics and diplomacy by having some sides or forces inactive
until something happens (declaration of war, surprise attack, specific
objective taken, etc.)  There are a lot of possibilities with this.  The
other is some way of providing multiple unit attacks and standard combat
results tables based on odds.  Like three units against one getting 3-1
odds, or whatever when other factors are computed, and a "die roll" resolves
the combat all at one time.  The current combat models do not lend
themselves to doing this well.  So maybe with the newer Xconq programmers on
the list now, someone can think about addressing these things.

Bill

From Beethoven to the Rolling Stones, your favorite music is always playing
on MSN Radio Plus. No ads, no talk. Trial month FREE!

* Re: Marketing Xconq?
@ 2003-11-18 17:06 Bill Macon
From: Bill Macon @ 2003-11-18 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mcdonald; +Cc: xconq7

>There is a new Windows build/install document called INSTALL-win.txt.

  I'll have to check this out.

> >Simple patch downloads to supplement the full install
> > should also be considered.
>Hmmm.... Maybe. I'll have to look at what the largest files are
>and how frequently they end up being changed. I'll think about it.

  Some (many?) potential Xconq players will want an update process to be as
simple as possible.

> >    I've tried the recent download and it works somewhat, but there are
>still
> > bugs and graphics problems.
>Bugs in the installer or Xconq?

  The install works fine.  Several of the scenarios I tried opened OK but I
didn't get into playing them.  I wanted to pull up the old game I was
working on about 2 years ago but had problems editting a couple of the .dir
files which seemed to screw everything up.  img.dir wasn't loading right,
and wouldn't load right for any of the other scenarios either until I
reinstalled xconq.  Simple cut&paste didn't work, and even deleting my
additions didn't fix the problem.  So I was doing something wrong and
whatever it was affected the graphics also.  It isn't fair for me to say the
bugs were with xconq itself, but I hit an obstacle regardless and decides to
terminate.

>Similarly, I think Xconq could benefit from a reinforcements
>model, where forces simply appear at certain turns. However, like
>other ideas, I think most of these should wait until after 7.5 is
>released.

  I agree.  Get a polished 7.5 out on the street, hopefully with some
updated documentation, and then proceed with major enhancements.

  FYI, I got into xconq about 2 years ago and tried to create a game based
on Avalon Hill's Advanced Third Reich.  I got a beautiful map to work out,
manually editted all the unit images to get counters and colors right, and
managed to get some things to work OK.  But the combat models do not work
for this type of game.  And unless you set up a 1942 scenario where everyone
is already at war, there is no way to have neutral countries inactive until
some event brings them into the war.  These were serious showstoppers for me
and I moved on to other things, primarily Strategic Command by Battlefront
which came out about the same time I was getting discouraged with xconq.
Now the neat thing about Strategic Command is that it is ideally suited for
an xconq-style game, where multiple sides are all active on a random map.
That would be cool, and I'm interested in working on that one of these days.
  Once everything settles down and 7.5 gets released.  :)

Bill

Compare high-speed Internet plans, starting at $26.95.

* Marketing Xconq?
@ 2003-11-17  7:50 Brandon J. Van Every
From: Brandon J. Van Every @ 2003-11-17  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq

This may sound like a bizzare question to you, and it's certainly
premature to my own agenda.  But I thought I would ask anyways... do you
guys make any effort to market Xconq?  Where by "market" I mean greatly
increase the number of Xconq players out there, the number of people who
know about it, who think favorably of it, get it reviewed on websites,
etc.  No money changing hands but promoting your brand "Xconq" is still
marketing.

What do you think the "market penetration" of Xconq is currently?  How
many players?  How many people know about it?  Have you ever tried to
measure these things?

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.