* Updating Italian libc translation for ESTALE in glibc
@ 2023-04-14 17:48 Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2023-04-14 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tp, primes2h; +Cc: libc-alpha

Dear Italian Translators,

I was recently reviewing Italian translations for error cases,
in particularly the translation of the error string for the
error number ESTALE.

The translation for ESTALE appears to be out of date and I would
like to get that updated. Error numbers are important things to
translate.

I have an Italian translation for ESTALE that could be used.
How can I help with that?

The current POT file has:
~~~
#. TRANS This indicates an internal confusion in the
#. TRANS file system which is due to file system rearrangements on the server host
#. TRANS for NFS file systems or corruption in other file systems.
#. TRANS Repairing this condition usually requires unmounting, possibly repairing
#. TRANS and remounting the file system.
#: sysdeps/gnu/errlist.h:471
msgid "Stale file handle"
msgstr ""
~~~

The current PO file is here for glibc 2.37 released 2023-02-01:
https://translationproject.org/PO-files/it/libc-2.36.9000.it.po
~~~
#. TRANS This indicates an internal confusion in the
#. TRANS file system which is due to file system rearrangements on the server host
#. TRANS for NFS file systems or corruption in other file systems.
#. TRANS Repairing this condition usually requires unmounting, possibly repairing
#. TRANS and remounting the file system.
#: sysdeps/gnu/errlist.h:471
#, fuzzy
#| msgid "Stale NFS file handle"
msgid "Stale file handle"
msgstr "Gestione del file NFS interrotta"
~~~

We had a downstream translation in RHEL6 and RHEL7 for this:
~~~
msgstr "Gestione file obsoleti"
~~~

How can I help get the ESTALE translation updated for libc?

Thank you very much for your help.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: Updating Italian libc translation for ESTALE in glibc
@ 2023-04-17 20:46 ` Daniele Forsi
From: Daniele Forsi @ 2023-04-17 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Translation Project; +Cc: primes2h, libc-alpha

Hello Carlos,

> I have an Italian translation for ESTALE that could be used.

the translations that you quoted are wrong because they are
translating "handle" as "handling"
> msgstr "Gestione del file NFS interrotta"
> msgstr "Gestione file obsoleti"

the word "handle" is difficult to translate in this context and I
don't know a translation for "stale" in this context better than the
one in RHEL6 and RHEL7, however I would use a singular form, so I
suggest:
msgid "Stale file handle"
msgstr "Handle di file obsoleto"

I found some hits on search engines for "handle di file" but none for
"handle di file obsoleto"

thank you for raising this issue
--
Daniele Forsi

* Re: Updating Italian libc translation for ESTALE in glibc
@ 2023-04-17 21:15   ` Federico Bruni
From: Federico Bruni @ 2023-04-17 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Translation Project; +Cc: libc-alpha, primes2h, dforsi, Carlos O'Donell

Il giorno lun 17 apr 2023 alle 22:46:35 +0200, Daniele Forsi
<dforsi@gmail.com> ha scritto:
> Hello Carlos,
>
>>  I have an Italian translation for ESTALE that could be used.
>
> the translations that you quoted are wrong because they are
> translating "handle" as "handling"
>>  msgstr "Gestione del file NFS interrotta"
>>  msgstr "Gestione file obsoleti"
>

> the word "handle" is difficult to translate in this context and I
> don't know a translation for "stale" in this context better than the
> one in RHEL6 and RHEL7, however I would use a singular form, so I
> suggest:
> msgid "Stale file handle"
> msgstr "Handle di file obsoleto"
>
> I found some hits on search engines for "handle di file" but none for
> "handle di file obsoleto"

I think "handle" should be translated.
There's no Italian translation in Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handle_(computing)

As it's described as an abstract reference to a resource (a file), I
would use the translation of reference, that is:

"Riferimento obsoleto al file"
"Riferimento al file obsoleto"

Which one sounds better?
The handle is stale (not the file), right?

* Re: Updating Italian libc translation for ESTALE in glibc
@ 2023-04-18 13:42     ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2023-04-18 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Bruni, Translation Project; +Cc: libc-alpha, primes2h, dforsi

On 4/17/23 17:15, Federico Bruni wrote:

> Il giorno lun 17 apr 2023 alle 22:46:35 +0200, Daniele Forsi <dforsi@gmail.com> ha scritto:
>> Hello Carlos,
>>
>>>  I have an Italian translation for ESTALE that could be used.
>>
>> the translations that you quoted are wrong because they are
>> translating "handle" as "handling"
>>>  msgstr "Gestione del file NFS interrotta"
>>>  msgstr "Gestione file obsoleti"
>>

>> the word "handle" is difficult to translate in this context and I
>> don't know a translation for "stale" in this context better than the
>> one in RHEL6 and RHEL7, however I would use a singular form, so I
>> suggest:
>> msgid "Stale file handle"
>> msgstr "Handle di file obsoleto"
>>
>> I found some hits on search engines for "handle di file" but none for
>> "handle di file obsoleto"
>>

> I think "handle" should be translated.
> There's no Italian translation in Wikipedia:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handle_(computing)
>
> As it's described as an abstract reference to a resource (a file), I would use the translation of reference, that is:
>
> "Riferimento obsoleto al file"

I prefer the first (at least my Argentine brain says it sounds better ;-)).

> "Riferimento al file obsoleto"
>
> Which one sounds better?
> The handle is stale (not the file), right?

Correct, the inode/handle/descriptor is stale, not the file.

The process can reopen the file to refresh the handle.

It would be great to get a translation for this for libc, since ESTALE is
an important error return for filesystem access functions.

Is there anything I can do to support adding a translation for Italian?

--

@ 2023-04-18 20:39       ` Federico Bruni
From: Federico Bruni @ 2023-04-18 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Translation Project; +Cc: dforsi, libc-alpha, primes2h

Il giorno mar 18 apr 2023 alle 09:42:41 -0400, Carlos O'Donell
<carlos@redhat.com> ha scritto:
> On 4/17/23 17:15, Federico Bruni wrote:
>>

>>  Il giorno lun 17 apr 2023 alle 22:46:35 +0200, Daniele Forsi
>> <dforsi@gmail.com> ha scritto:
>>>  Hello Carlos,

>>>  the translations that you quoted are wrong because they are
>>>  translating "handle" as "handling"
>>>

>>>  the word "handle" is difficult to translate in this context and I
>>>  don't know a translation for "stale" in this context better than
>>> the
>>>  one in RHEL6 and RHEL7, however I would use a singular form, so I
>>>  suggest:
>>>  msgid "Stale file handle"
>>>  msgstr "Handle di file obsoleto"
>>>
>>>  I found some hits on search engines for "handle di file" but none
>>> for
>>>  "handle di file obsoleto"
>>>

>>  I think "handle" should be translated.
>>  There's no Italian translation in Wikipedia:
>>  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handle_(computing)
>>
>>  As it's described as an abstract reference to a resource (a file),
>> I would use the translation of reference, that is:
>>
>>  "Riferimento obsoleto al file"
>
> I prefer the first (at least my Argentine brain says it sounds better
> ;-)).

Yes, I prefer the first as well.
Daniele, what do you think?

>>  "Riferimento al file obsoleto"
>>
>>  Which one sounds better?
>>  The handle is stale (not the file), right?
>
> Correct, the inode/handle/descriptor is stale, not the file.
>
> The process can reopen the file to refresh the handle.
>
> It would be great to get a translation for this for libc, since
> ESTALE is
> an important error return for filesystem access functions.
>
> Is there anything I can do to support adding a translation for
> Italian?

The translation is managed by the Translation Project?
This one?
https://translationproject.org/domain/libc.html

I see now that the assigned translator Sergio is here in Cc.

* Re: Updating Italian libc translation for ESTALE in glibc
@ 2023-04-20 16:13         ` Sergio Zanchetta
From: Sergio Zanchetta @ 2023-04-20 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Bruni, carlos; +Cc: Translation Project, dforsi, libc-alpha