public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Re: New Proposed Xconq Web Site Online
@ 2004-09-28 21:34 Feneric Brown
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Feneric Brown @ 2004-09-28 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> You may view the new websit here:
>
>   http://www.xconq.org

It looks generally good.  I think the search box might be better placed
in the sidebar though, and the big otherwise empty mustardy band up top
eliminated.

Also, I notice that even with all the language options available
there's not one for Esperanto.  An Esperanto interface might just be
the draw we need to attract the hordes of Esperanto Diplomacy players:

	http://members.tripod.com/~jcst/Diplomatio/

:)

Actually, as I look deeper, it makes me wonder how much control do you
have over the placement of the sidebars with PHP-Nuke...  My own
PHP-Nuke experience is zero (I use mostly Zope / CMF / Plone).  At
first blush I confess I didn't even notice the left hand side one
because my browser window wasn't open wide enough.  Most of the stories
seem to be pretty short (just 1 - 4 lines within the display anyway) so
perhaps there could be some width adjustments made there (or even both
the sidebars combined into one as there are enough stories to support
the length).  Granted, some people run browser windows in full-screen
mode, but not everyone does.  The flexibility to support somewhat
narrower displays without mandatory horizontal scrolling would be a
definite bonus.

Since the second sidebar also has a search box, it makes even more
sense to me to remove the top search box.

Finally, does PHP-Nuke support easy RSS output of news stories?
There's some mention of it down the bottom being provided by some
additional products.  It would be nice if it were easy to do.  If not,
oh well.

Anyhow, just a few random thoughts meant to be constructive, not
negative.  On the whole it's excellent work and it's good to see an
updated site.

* [Offtopic] EsperantoConq
@ 2004-10-01  5:42 Feneric Brown
From: Feneric Brown @ 2004-10-01  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

I suppose you could also say "Eksconq" -- proper Esperanto doesn't have
an "X" character.

> Agh, you ruined it for me! I had already guessed part of the list.
> But, not to sound ungrateful, I'll say thanks.

Don't worry; there are a few more.  Things like -ad, -ant, -at, -int,
-it, -ont, and -ot plus quite a few official (and some common
unofficial) suffixes exist to figure out, too.

>  (1) I have detected no repeated consonants or vowels thus far.

Scii esperanto estas bona.

* Re: [Offtopic] EsperantoConq
@ 2004-10-01 18:27 Feneric Brown
From: Feneric Brown @ 2004-10-01 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> Jes, eble "ekskonk'", "ekskonko" aux "ikso-konko".  Laux mia vortaro
> (PV), oni diras "iksoradioj" por "X-rays".

True, I'd focused on the big "X" and overlooked the little "q".  That's
interesting with X-rays; I've personally always pronounced the "X" in
"X-rays" like the "ex" in "example", and Esperanto seems to universally
translate English "ex-" to "eks-".