public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Re: New Proposed Xconq Web Site Online
@ 2004-09-29  0:41 Eric W. Brown
From: Eric W. Brown @ 2004-09-29  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> Done. Do you think the search box looks okay or should it go elsewhere?

I don't personally have any solid ideas about where the search box
should logically go.  I guess it makes some sort of sense that the
documentation, forums, bug reports, old articles section, and searching
should all be somewhat near each other as they are somewhat related
(assuming the search facility covers all of those other things).  The
download section should be very prominent, perhaps in the upper right
corner.  Some of the links in the modules section are a little
non-intuitive (for starters, when I see "Modules" WRT Xconq I'm
expecting game modules).  How does the Search option there differ from
the search box on the front?  How does the stories archive differ from
the old articles section on the front?  Why is the games library under
documentation and not modules?  Why does the Home link appear when
you're already home?

Are there any usability or UI gurus who read this list?  It's not my
primary field so take my comments on it with a grain of salt...

> [snip] - I'm as multi-cultural as the next guy, but I'm afraid the
> Espertinos are out of luck :)

Pity; in some seriousness the more I look into it the more it does seem
that there is some sort of an overlap between people interested in
strategy games and people interested in international communications
via neutral languages.  It certainly seems possible to do, too; the
PHP-Nuke site at http://www.uk-2003.net/ is one example that does it
(pulled up quickly courtesy of Google).  I'm sure that for this
particular site many of the languages that are already supported will
have smaller audiences.

> This may be because you are seeing the story's header. Does clicking
> the
> "Read More" link help? Also noted is Eli's input about the Xconq logo.

I didn't really mean the length of the stories themselves, just how the
portions that were displayed on the front page appeared.

> Assuming that it's not the logo size (and it probably is as Eli
> suggested) then this should be fixed (some tweaking may be required).

Is it possible to preserve the larger logo and still make it work?
Perhaps a layout like:

> Absolutely. It's really easy to do. The Xconq site currently does.
> Point
> are Xconq related RSS feeds, by all means, do tell!

Excellent!  AFAIK, this will be the first.

> You could have written and said, "Coop, that is the ugliest color
> scheme
> I have ever seen," and I would have about squealed that you gave such
> honest feedback and changed them immediately.

While I certainly won't say that, I might argue toward using fewer
colors (perhaps just one) for the sidebar boxes' borders.  Either that
or color them based upon some logical scheme (perhaps with the download
and/or documentation boxes more obvious than the others).  This is
really another area where a UI expert's opinions would be good.

> You can try this at home! Simply send a "one liner" that says, "Coop,
> that is the ugliest color scheme I have ever seen" and see what
> happens!

There's unfortunately been a lot of competition for the ugliest color
scheme I've ever seen...  I'll spare you the stories, though.

> Thanks!

You're welcome.  Thanks for your work on the site.

* Re: New Proposed Xconq Web Site Online
@ 2004-10-06  2:02 Feneric Brown
From: Feneric Brown @ 2004-10-06  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> Oops. Sorry about the horrible translation attempt. I wasn't trying to
> imply anything....

Don't worry about it, no offense was taken, and so far your translation
attempts have been pretty good.

* Re: New Proposed Xconq Web Site Online
@ 2004-10-01 18:35 Feneric Brown
From: Feneric Brown @ 2004-10-01 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> Lunch time == attempted Esperanto translation time

That's how I picked up what I know.  A little at lunchtime and a little
in the evenings.

> "plia yaro" -> "doing my job"/"plying my trade"  (wild guess??)

"more than a year"

> my knowledge is bad to none."  (??)

"I know it is worse now."

* Re: New Proposed Xconq Web Site Online
@ 2004-10-01 18:23 Feneric Brown
From: Feneric Brown @ 2004-10-01 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> I don't mean to dampen anyone's enthusiasm for adding multi-lingual
> support to Xconq and/or the website, but since not all of us know
> Esperanto, would everyone mind speaking so that we can all understand?

Oops, sorry.  I just noted that I'd seen the Japanese localization
patch for Xconq and was wondering if anyone had looked at it and
determined whether or not it could be applied toward a general I18N
solution.

* Re: New Proposed Xconq Web Site Online
@ 2004-10-01  5:40 Feneric Brown
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Feneric Brown @ 2004-10-01  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> Mi povis kompreni vin!  Kaj vi povas relerni nur per klopodi.

Estas vera.  Mi ne uzis esperanton dum plia yaro.

> Eric, la teksto enhavis kelkajn etajn erarojn do ne konfuzighu.  Vi
> pravas pri la akordo inter sustantivo kaj adjektivo ("Ludoj estas
> bonaj").

Mi ne suprizighas.  Mia esperanto estis neniam bonega; mi scias ghi
estas pli malbona nun.

Mi shanghas la temo -- mi rimarkigi ke Xconq flikis por elmontro
japana; chu levpovas chi tio por aliaj lingvoj?

* Re: New Proposed Xconq Web Site Online
@ 2004-09-29 19:26 Feneric Brown
From: Feneric Brown @ 2004-09-29 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> Eble la plej granda demandon oni jam demandis en la Diplomatio pagho:
> chu la pacemaj Esperantistoj desiras ludi ludon pri milito?

La amo de militoludoj estas tute ne implicas la amo de milito.  Oni
ofte povas regi malurghojn tra ludoj.

> Aliflanke, esperantistoj shatas ludojn kaj en esperanto-kongreso oni
> ofte ludas esperante.

Kay kial ne?  Ludoj estas bonaj por "glaciorompanta".

Fi!  Mia esperantaj lertetoj estas rustaj...

* Re: New Proposed Xconq Web Site Online
@ 2004-09-29 19:17 Eric W. Brown
From: Eric W. Brown @ 2004-09-29 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> You may view the new websit here:
>
>   http://www.xconq.org

I've added the new Xconq web site as an alternative to the current one
on the Saugus.net Free Software Page:

	http://www.saugus.net/Computer/FreeSoftware/

It went in with yesterday's regular updates.  Right now both the old
and new are listed, but I'll see that it gets updated again if/when the
status of the new one gets changed to "official".

* Re: New Proposed Xconq Web Site Online
@ 2004-09-29  0:23 Feneric Brown
From: Feneric Brown @ 2004-09-29  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> This seemed to be a result of the XConq logo image.
> Maybe it should be resized?  At some point, though, we
> should come up with a new logo.  Any artists out there?

I actually like that image somewhat.  Its origins make for good site
colophon material (perhaps to be made available via a longdesc
attribute in addition to a standard link somewhere).

* Re: New Proposed Xconq Web Site Online
@ 2004-09-28 21:34 Feneric Brown
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Feneric Brown @ 2004-09-28 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> You may view the new websit here:
>
>   http://www.xconq.org

It looks generally good.  I think the search box might be better placed
in the sidebar though, and the big otherwise empty mustardy band up top
eliminated.

Also, I notice that even with all the language options available
there's not one for Esperanto.  An Esperanto interface might just be
the draw we need to attract the hordes of Esperanto Diplomacy players:

	http://members.tripod.com/~jcst/Diplomatio/

:)

Actually, as I look deeper, it makes me wonder how much control do you
have over the placement of the sidebars with PHP-Nuke...  My own
PHP-Nuke experience is zero (I use mostly Zope / CMF / Plone).  At
first blush I confess I didn't even notice the left hand side one
because my browser window wasn't open wide enough.  Most of the stories
seem to be pretty short (just 1 - 4 lines within the display anyway) so
perhaps there could be some width adjustments made there (or even both
the sidebars combined into one as there are enough stories to support
the length).  Granted, some people run browser windows in full-screen
mode, but not everyone does.  The flexibility to support somewhat
narrower displays without mandatory horizontal scrolling would be a
definite bonus.

Since the second sidebar also has a search box, it makes even more
sense to me to remove the top search box.

Finally, does PHP-Nuke support easy RSS output of news stories?
There's some mention of it down the bottom being provided by some
additional products.  It would be nice if it were easy to do.  If not,
oh well.

Anyhow, just a few random thoughts meant to be constructive, not
negative.  On the whole it's excellent work and it's good to see an
updated site.

* New Proposed Xconq Web Site Online
@ 2004-09-27 18:44 D. Cooper Stevenson
From: D. Cooper Stevenson @ 2004-09-27 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Xconquerors,

I am pleased to announce a proposed new web site for Xconq. The new
website is designed to bring game players with fresh, updated
information about Xconq and provide several mechanisms where gamers and
developers can go to get help or see what's new.

You may view the new websit here:

  http://www.xconq.org

Specifically, Xconq's new proposed site provides the following benefits:

  * Community Story Submission

  * "Searchable" story archive

  * Forums

  * Newsletters

  * Reviews

Anyone may submit an item that of interest to the site. Simply click,
"Submit story," write your story in the boxes provided, and press the
"submit" button. The admin team will go over the story (usually the same
day) and--in all likelihood--post it!

The forums area provide a permanent, searchable, area where users and
developers can meet to discuss issues online.

I really wanted to update the look of the Xconq site while preserving
Xconq's heritage. Most everything you're used to seeing on the
"sources.redhat" site is located topmost on the upper left area of the
page for easy access. I have faithfully re-posted the content so that
while the content's "look" may be different (matching the overall site),
the information is exactly the same.

While there's still some work to do, there will be new story posted
every weekday to the site so check in every once in awhile to see what's
new!

Gratuitous? Not really. It's my way of giving back.

Very Truly Yours,
| Cooper Stevenson        | Em:  cooper@gencom.us            |
| GenCom                  | Ph:  541.924.9434                |
| "Working For IT"        | Www: http://www.gencom.us        |