public inbox for fortran@gcc.gnu.org
* Team Collaboration Considerations
@ 2022-12-04  3:52 Jerry D
From: Jerry D @ 2022-12-04  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gfortran

Hi all,

Some of you may recall way back when I established the gfortran IRC
channel to facilitate collaboration on gfortran development.

I have had some discussions with a few people about advancing to newer
technology.  One thing I have learned is that the gcc C++ team has
adopted the Mattermost platform.  I have also used Slack and Teams.
There are many others. The gcc IRC channel is still active. The gfortran
IRC channel exists but is less used.

I would like suggest that gfortranners adopt one of these platforms. The
advantages are:

 1.   We can post chat questions back and forth via mobile devices
    without having toopen and scan our emails
 2. We can share examples and files easily.
 3. Screen shot are easily exchanged.
 4. Integration with platforms such as Github.

Pros and Cons of some of the choices.  I have only looked at the Free
options

 1. Slack has adopted some limitations on being able to go back and look
    at older posts.  Functionally it is quite good and integrates well
    with github.
 2. I looked at Element and Fractal which use the Matrix protocols.
    Very open source, not so mature yet.
 3. Mattermost looks pretty good and was easy to set up.  The free
    version is a bit better than Slacks. GCC C++ uses it.

If we can get a concensus I would happy to get something set up .  I am
leaning to Mattermost.  The mobile phone app is easy and the web browser
works fine.

I do think in the long run, doing this will help everyone greatly.

Any thoughts from all?

Regards,

Jerry

* Team Collaboration Considerations
@ 2022-12-08 21:27 Harald Anlauf
From: Harald Anlauf @ 2022-12-08 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fortran

Hi Jerry, all,

as already said, the basic issue appears to be the low number
of contributors, most (all?) of which are working on gfortran
in their spare time (like me).  I think it is not likely that
they will commit to being available regularly.

I have used IRC once for a discussion that was really helpful
for me, but we agreed in advance to meet there, and this was
how it worked.  Other tools may work similar or even better.
(The ML was just not appropriate for the type of discussion.)

A collaboration tool could be helpful for introducing newcomers,
for giving advice in trying to understand how the code works,
and maybe when it doesn't.  Caveat: in many respects I still
feel as close to being a newcomer.

Though I could give a very basic introduction to working with
git, also in the context of gcc, if that is needed... ;-)
(Perhaps using git even is more fun than programming in C :-)

Personally, many things work fine for me using bugzilla and
the mailing list.  I just don't expect immediate replies
because of the current situation.

So can we get the attention of new possible contributors?
Or increase the activity of some of those who've been
contributing in the past?  So that a critical mass is
reached for a modern collaboration tool to be useful?

Cheers,
Harald