public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
* I'm trying to set up docbook-tools...
@ 2000-12-27  6:36 Eric S. Raymond
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

I'm trying to set up docbook-tools, and finding it a hideously
frustrating experience.  Why does all the SGML software and
documentation in the world read as though it was carefully designed
to prevent any actual document production from getting done?

The < http://sourceware.cygnus.com/docbook-tools/ > page directs me to
< ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com:/pub/docbook-tools >.  That server is
perpetually swamped.  Going to one of the mirrors, I find a
docbook-3.1-5.noarch.rpm, but it does not contain any of the db2*
scripts referenced on the DocBook page.  Where are those scripts?
--

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be
properly armed."

* Re: I'm trying to set up docbook-tools...
@ 2000-12-27  6:36 David C. Mason
From: David C. Mason @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: esr; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

"Eric S. Raymond" <esr@thyrsus.com> writes:

> David, you ain't *seen* me being insulting yet.  So far, all I've
> done is call a spade a spade.  You, and Deb, and Mark, and Norman,
> can start being offended the day I don't respect you enough to
> criticize your work.  Criticism is the tribute you pay adults who
> are capable of better than they have done.  Indifference or
> dismissal would be the real insult.

I will at this point simply have to ignore. Not as an insult, rather,
I thought I could get something constructive that I could personally
add to the DocBook Tools project and the use of DocBook in
general. All I have gotten is repeated insults of my friends.

I do not subscribe to your definition of an insult. I tend to believe
that to treat someone with indignity is the real definition of an
insult. To treat Bob Young (who I can assure you is not on this list
to defend himself) with the words you have chosen, is to treat with
indignity. Period.

Besides I find more in one post from Ed than I have of all the posts
you have given us so far. The more I try to figure out what it is you
want or need I find that the old saying remains true: "For every
action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

And with that, I will sign off with Mr Richard Livingstone's quote:

"...criticism is only the burying beetle that gets rid of what is
dead, and, since the world lives by creative and constructive forces,
and not by negation and destruction, it is better to grow up in the
company of prophets than of critics."

Dave

* RE: I'm trying to set up docbook-tools...
@ 2000-12-27  6:36 Gregory Leblanc
From: Gregory Leblanc @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Mark Galassi', Eric S. Raymond; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

Not to be rude, but what ever happened to getting the tools by Eric Bischoff
onto the sourceware site?  I was under the impression (perhaps mistaken),
that his tools were going up on the sourceware site, as well as into a CVS
repository someplace.  Can somebody fill me in?

@ 2000-12-27  6:36 Peter Ring
From: Peter Ring @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com'

A few minutes searching might pop up some immediately useful "Getting
started with DocBook"-type documents. Useful for those that just need to
get things done, as well as those who wants to make SGML and DocBook
more palatable. Try for instance these:

 A Practical Introduction to DocBook
 http://www.oswg.org/oswg-nightly/oswg/en_US.ISO_8859-1/articles/DocBook
-Intro/docbook-intro/index.html

 DocBook HOWTO
 http://metalab.unc.edu/godoy/using-docbook/using-docbook.html

 Practical information about the use of SGML/XML and DocBook on Debian
 http://www.debian.org/~bortz/SGML-HOWTO/potato/howto.html

 Practical information about the use of SGML/XML and DocBook on
WindowsNT
 http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hoenicka_markus/ntsgml.html

 A fairly complete guide to O'Reilly's DocBook based production system
 http://www.oreilly.com/people/staff/crism/dsssl/orastyle/index.html

 I've got many more if you care ...

I can't see how whining about the esoteric SGML community can be
justified (see link above). I can't see how blaming a single person
(Norman Walsh) for the lack of shrink-wrapped SGML and DocBook tools can
be justified. SGML is no more a holy grail than C++ or Lisp, and about
as immediately useful (that is to say, useless). DocBook is about as
immediately useful as STL (that is to say, useless). If you disagree,
reflect for a moment just how much prior knowledge and experience is
needed before these tools become productive. Now of course, it has
become a lot easier to use C++ and STL during the years, easy
installation, integrated development environments, tutorials, etc. etc.
It takes time and the contributions of a lot of people. Why should SGML
and DocBook be any different?

Kind regards,
Peter Ring

* Re: I'm trying to set up docbook-tools...
@ 2000-12-27  6:36 Volker Paul
From: Volker Paul @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

> It isn't.  The person who started this thread said there was no
> tutorial which includes setting up the tools, but there actually was.
> Although things are out of date, this whole thread is mostly
> unnecessary.

No, it's not unnecessary. I have a master in Computer science but
for several days now, I'm trying to make my way throught the
jungle of SGML stuff. This mail thread showed me that it's not me
who is completely stupid, but other people have problems with
the documentation, too. Thanks, Eric Raymond.
Once you figured out how it works, could you please publish a good
tutorial?

Yours,

Volker Paul

From: Gregory Leblanc @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Peter Ring @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Volker Paul',
	'docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com'

I missed the re-start of this thread. Anyway, in case you didn't care to
search the archives, I'd like to re-post a list of a number of
introductions, most of which have been available for a while (read: long
before Eric Raymond started whining).

 A Practical Introduction to DocBook
 http://www.oswg.org/oswg-nightly/oswg/en_US.ISO_8859-1/articles/DocBook
-Intro/docbook-intro/index.html

 DocBook HOWTO
 http://metalab.unc.edu/godoy/using-docbook/using-docbook.html

 Practical information about the use of SGML/XML and DocBook on Debian
 http://www.debian.org/~bortz/SGML-HOWTO/potato/howto.html

 Practical information about the use of SGML/XML and DocBook on
WindowsNT
 http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hoenicka_markus/ntsgml.html

 A fairly complete guide to O'Reilly's DocBook based production system
 http://www.oreilly.com/people/staff/crism/dsssl/orastyle/index.html

 A fairly complete guide for contributors to the FreeBSD Documentation
Project
 http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/docproj-primer/

Kind regards,
Peter Ring